Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
okie08vette
CF Senior Member

 
okie08vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Norman OK
Default HUD Kit

Hey I saw a post early today about a complete HUD kit for about 350.00 but can't find it now even if I search, was I seeing things or was the post deleted, sounded like a good price for HUD set up.
__________________
Paul
GO SOONERS
okie08vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
CENT Z06
CF Senior Member

 
CENT Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Location: Elk Grove CA
Send a message via AIM to CENT Z06
Default

Here's one from a forum vendor.
HEADS UP DISPLAY COMPLETE KIT - $396.74
Click on the name of the kit to link directly to our site to order.
This kit includes;
HUD Display
HUD Switch
HUD Bezel
Custom Wiring Harness
2 6mm nuts
1 Bolt
1 J Nut
6 Wire Quick Splice Connectors.
Detailed Instructions - Feel free to email me and I will send you the instructions if you would like to review before purchasing.
We are not producing the wiring harness in house as first anticipated. We have partnered with an outside source that produces these for us, and we stand behind the quality and craftsmanship.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...staxi-com.html
CENT Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
okie08vette
CF Senior Member

 
okie08vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Norman OK
Default

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
__________________
Paul
GO SOONERS
okie08vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
USAF_C6
CF Senior Member

 
USAF_C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Riverview FL
Default

I got mine from PartsTaxi. Super easy install into the new GS. PM me if you want to talk about the install. Have fun!
__________________
-Jason

2011 Grand Sport Coupe, Blade Silver, 2LT, MN6, NPP, Full Length Spoiler
(Man I need to update the Avatar...)
Founding Non Member of the Non Club Club of Oklahoma, and Proud of it!
USAF_C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
rgauchey
CF Senior Member
 
rgauchey's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Wixom Michigan
rgauchey
Send a message via ICQ to rgauchey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie08vette View Post
Hey I saw a post early today about a complete HUD kit for about 350.00 but can't find it now even if I search, was I seeing things or was the post deleted, sounded like a good price for HUD set up.
They are frequently posted. People's reactions are all positive. The only negative posts i've read is the windshield glass is not the same as factory nav and apparently gives a double image.
rgauchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Gene Culley
Platinum Supporting Vendor
 
Gene Culley's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Boyertown PA
Default

We have just come out with our complete kit for $389.99. We also have downloadable instructions and a business card from a popular forum installer who will answer any questions if you have any problems before or during the install.

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/partlo...catalogid=8669
__________________
Founder of GM Parts House

Home Of The Corvette Parts And GM Parts Specialist
Please Visit GM Parts House Online or Call 484.949.2099.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
okie08vette
CF Senior Member

 
okie08vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Norman OK
Default

Thanks, while I think I could do this I am leaning toward having it installed. It would take me much longer to do it myself thank it would to have a pro do it.
__________________
Paul
GO SOONERS
okie08vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member
 
fnbrowning's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie08vette View Post
Thanks, while I think I could do this I am leaning toward having it installed. It would take me much longer to do it myself thank it would to have a pro do it.
You could do it yourself if you go slow and take your time.

Personally, if I was to have a HUD installed, it would be by the pull the dash method. Actually, from what I gather, you don't have to really remove the dashboard, just remove more fasteners and pull the dash out a bit. Some people cut a HVAC duct, but I can't imagine damaging and then repairing a HVAC plenum as a professional piece of work.

While you are checking on HUD installers, ask if your installer does an OEM type install, or if he takes the shortcut "cut the duct" method. There is at least one traveling installer on this forum, from the east, that patently refuses to talk about his method. In fact, if you press him on how the job is accomplished, he will contact the staff demanding they sanction you!! You only find out what he cuts, during the job when everything's apart.
fnbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
TommyV
In Vette We Trust
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Support Corvetteforum!

 
TommyV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: Sandy Eggo/ Mods: Vararam, LG Pros, Corsa Sports, CoW tune, 160, Koni FSD's, Nitto Invos, DBA 5000 rotors, Pipedreams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauchey View Post
The only negative posts i've read is the windshield glass is not the same as factory nav and apparently gives a double image.
Not true. It may not be razor sharp like the HUD glass, but there is no double image.
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
okie08vette
CF Senior Member

 
okie08vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Norman OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbrowning View Post
You could do it yourself if you go slow and take your time.

Personally, if I was to have a HUD installed, it would be by the pull the dash method. Actually, from what I gather, you don't have to really remove the dashboard, just remove more fasteners and pull the dash out a bit. Some people cut a HVAC duct, but I can't imagine damaging and then repairing a HVAC plenum as a professional piece of work.

While you are checking on HUD installers, ask if your installer does an OEM type install, or if he takes the shortcut "cut the duct" method. There is at least one traveling installer on this forum, from the east, that patently refuses to talk about his method. In fact, if you press him on how the job is accomplished, he will contact the staff demanding they sanction you!! You only find out what he cuts, during the job when everything's apart.
Interesting, I will look into this. First I heard about cutting a duct can't imagine that, I am leaning toward doing it myself but don't want to mess up anything. So i I only pull the dash out without removing it do you have to cut duct or can you do it correct without removing the dash.
__________________
Paul
GO SOONERS
okie08vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
abazaba410
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Northville MI
Send a message via AIM to abazaba410
Default

^this. I dont want to Cut the duct if i do it
abazaba410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
California Don
Drivin' The Dream
Support Corvetteforum!
 
California Don's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Rocklin California
Default

Cut the duct, deburr it and put it back in after the install using metalic tape. Piece of cake and a very professional job.

Better yet, have one of the guys like Andrew6 install it for you. They have it down to a science and have it done in about an hour. Pull the dash? You gotta be kidding when it is so easy to do it from the front.
California Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #13
USAF_C6
CF Senior Member

 
USAF_C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Riverview FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Don View Post
Pull the dash? You gotta be kidding when it is so easy to do it from the front.
__________________
-Jason

2011 Grand Sport Coupe, Blade Silver, 2LT, MN6, NPP, Full Length Spoiler
(Man I need to update the Avatar...)
Founding Non Member of the Non Club Club of Oklahoma, and Proud of it!
USAF_C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #14
HANNY
CF Senior Member
 
HANNY's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Location: Location: kAnSaS
Default

i feel like somebody should be getting a kickback for coming up with the easy install (going thru the speedo and cutting the vent pipe) that vendors are now selling tons of kits because they did??????????????
NAAHHHHHH that aint gonna happen, lol.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-install.html
HANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
chriscable34
CF Senior Member

 
chriscable34's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Griffin GA
Default

Cutting the duct is the best way. First off it will take you a while to pull the dash. Secondly you risk creating rattles when you do pull the dash. The last post I read where someone tried to pull the dash broke some piece. Personally for the money, I would get Andrew6 to install. I have seen him install many heads up and you just can't beat it for the price. He is well over 50 installs now. Just be careful if you do remove the dash.
chriscable34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Supporting Vendor
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy
 
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: League City Texas
MrAnderson6 Andrew (832) 457-9253 mrANDERSON6 thedoubleaadotcom
Default

I guess the old saying is you can't have your cake and eat it too. For me to install a HUD by not cutting the duct it would increase the time to around 5 hours. This doesn't include the fact that loosening the dash you'll very easilly damage the dash or other compenents. I personally don't care to do it as it's a complete PITA but will do it but the price will not be $575.00 parts and labor installed. As it is the kits sell for around $420.00 shipped, so not alot of mark up on my part to begin with especially when you count travel & travel time etc...

If it is something you care to tackle yourself have at it and I'll help you out as much as possible. I will give a bit of warning as well. I had a guy out in Georgia call me today that installed one and has major problems now (dealership doesn't even know what he did wrong). I can only help so much over the phone with out seeing things for myself or knowing what was damaged during installs.

(you screw it up its on you, I screw it up I have to pay for it and fix it.)

Any questions concerns etc... feel free to contact me.

Andrew
832 457 9253

Last edited by Andrew6@TheDoubleAA; 11-11-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Supporting Vendor
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy
 
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: League City Texas
MrAnderson6 Andrew (832) 457-9253 mrANDERSON6 thedoubleaadotcom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscable34 View Post
Cutting the duct is the best way. First off it will take you a while to pull the dash. Secondly you risk creating rattles when you do pull the dash. The last post I read where someone tried to pull the dash broke some piece. Personally for the money, I would get Andrew6 to install. I have seen him install many heads up and you just can't beat it for the price. He is well over 50 installs now. Just be careful if you do remove the dash.
Did #62 in Portland Oregon Wednesday night. Glad to be back home in Houston
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #18
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Supporting Vendor
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy
 
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: League City Texas
MrAnderson6 Andrew (832) 457-9253 mrANDERSON6 thedoubleaadotcom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNY View Post
i feel like somebody should be getting a kickback for coming up with the easy install (going thru the speedo and cutting the vent pipe) that vendors are now selling tons of kits because they did??????????????
NAAHHHHHH that aint gonna happen, lol.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-install.html
l'll have to get up with you soon to modify some stuff.
Andrew6@TheDoubleAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #19
okie08vette
CF Senior Member

 
okie08vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Norman OK
Default DIY or Andrew

I am going to do this just can't decide on DIY or having Andrew do it. The major problem with having it done is location. Just thinking out loud here no real question, options?
__________________
Paul
GO SOONERS
okie08vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
USAF_C6
CF Senior Member

 
USAF_C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Riverview FL
Default

This isn't hard Paul. You can handle it, save some cash!
__________________
-Jason

2011 Grand Sport Coupe, Blade Silver, 2LT, MN6, NPP, Full Length Spoiler
(Man I need to update the Avatar...)
Founding Non Member of the Non Club Club of Oklahoma, and Proud of it!
USAF_C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page HUD Kit
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
beat, corvette, ga, hacking, hands, hud, installers, kit, vette


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2