C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 PM
beerbarrel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol....wasn't me!

Originally Posted by Andrew6
I guess the old saying is you can't have your cake and eat it too. For me to install a HUD by not cutting the duct it would increase the time to around 5 hours. This doesn't include the fact that loosening the dash you'll very easilly damage the dash or other compenents. I personally don't care to do it as it's a complete PITA but will do it but the price will not be $575.00 parts and labor installed. As it is the kits sell for around $420.00 shipped, so not alot of mark up on my part to begin with especially when you count travel & travel time etc...

If it is something you care to tackle yourself have at it and I'll help you out as much as possible. I will give a bit of warning as well. I had a guy out in Georgia call me today that installed one and has major problems now (dealership doesn't even know what he did wrong). I can only help so much over the phone with out seeing things for myself or knowing what was damaged during installs.

(you screw it up its on you, I screw it up I have to pay for it and fix it.)

Any questions concerns etc... feel free to contact me.

Andrew
832 457 9253
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
I am going to do this just can't decide on DIY or having Andrew do it...
Unless he is too far away -- or you want a DIY project -- let Andrew do it.

Anyway, if you have big hands, they can get pretty beat-up.

I did my own HUD install 2 years ago:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...my-09-1lt.html

It's a nice project. Working slowly & carefully, it took me about 8 hours over 2 days, with 3 trips to Ace Hardware for tools & what-not (back then, the HUD kit didn't include all the fasteners). I was especially cautious with the wiring, doing it in daylight to see the right wire-colors, and triple-checking everything.

And I spent a good half-day or so beforehand, researching & reading & digesting the instructions.

Of course, knowing what I know now, I could easily do it MUCH MUCH faster.

And I would definitely do the cut-the-duct method! It's a simple, single cut; the duct is re-installed; and, the HVAC system works exactly the same before & after.

BTW, my HUD has worked perfectly, no glitches, no problems. VERY pleased with this mod.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:03 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Unless he is too far away -- or you want a DIY project -- let Andrew do it.

Anyway, if you have big hands, they can get pretty beat-up.

I did my own HUD install 2 years ago:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...my-09-1lt.html

It's a nice project. Working slowly & carefully, it took me about 8 hours over 2 days, with 3 trips to Ace Hardware for tools & what-not (back then, the HUD kit didn't include all the fasteners). I was especially cautious with the wiring, doing it in daylight to see the right wire-colors, and triple-checking everything.

And I spent a good half-day or so beforehand, researching & reading & digesting the instructions.

Of course, knowing what I know now, I could easily do it MUCH MUCH faster.

And I would definitely do the cut-the-duct method! It's a simple, single cut; the duct is re-installed; and, the HVAC system works exactly the same before & after.

BTW, my HUD has worked perfectly, no glitches, no problems. VERY pleased with this mod.
should of seen my hands after the california trip. I am just glad I got a little off time to let them heal up. Mistermidlifecrisis's car darn near took me out lol.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew6
should of seen my hands after the california trip. I am just glad I got a little off time to let them heal up. Mistermidlifecrisis's car darn near took me out lol.
Hope you heal up fast!! That was a darned good chomp my car put on ya. . .
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
Hope you heal up fast!! That was a darned good chomp my car put on ya. . .
yes it did, scabbing is finally gone but scars are still there.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Easy Goin
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default quick question

I have hud already but its bouncing around. Does anyone know if these are sealed units or can it be opened and fixed once I get it out? I think the mirror is loose.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Easy Goin
I have hud already but its bouncing around. Does anyone know if these are sealed units or can it be opened and fixed once I get it out? I think the mirror is loose.
it can be fixed but not worth the time.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:07 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Goin
It's most likely a broken mirror pivot mount.

Depending on the extent of the damage, I believe it's not impossible to repair this. But from all the threads I've read, I wouldn't bother trying.

Get a new HUD from partstaxi.com or gmpartshouse.com. Don't waste your time with a used one... it's probably broken, which is why it's for sale.

From another thread:

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
...If the HUD is damaged, there's lots to consider:

1. To fix it, the HUD has to be removed. Maybe it can be repaired. But will the repair work? And how long will it last? Might as well get a new one -- I think it's about $225 from partstaxi.com.

2. One method to remove & replace the HUD involves removing the dash. I believe this is a 6-8 hour job at a dealer. Detailed instructions & pics here: http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20HUD%20...%20Rev%202.pdf

3. Another method involves "cutting the duct." MUCH simpler and far easier. An experienced installer can do this in an about an hour. The duct is re-installed, so HVAC functions are not affected.

4. DIY if you're handy. Lots of forum members have added HUD to 1LT/2LT cars; your job would be easier b/c you don't need a new wiring harness. Here's a thread with tips, pics & links: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...my-09-1lt.html

5. Maybe there's a forum member near you that's done this job and could walk you thru it...
If you like reading, here are some threads discussing bouncing/shaking HUD:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-shaking.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-shaking.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...on-window.html

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 11-18-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've done dozens of C5/6 HUD installs since 2003; just been busy with some motor swaps/Forced Induction builds lately

I have the best supplied harness available, 85 shipped, all others are not on par
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:12 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
I've done dozens of C5/6 HUD installs since 2003; just been busy with some motor swaps/Forced Induction builds lately

I have the best supplied harness available, 85 shipped, all others are not on par
Steve, I am looking at the kit from Gene at GMpartshouse do you supply him the wiring harness by any chance?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 AM
beerbarrel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like all the kits use crimp type tap connectors. I think that I might wire mine up using a weatherpak connector. I think that it would make for a more reliable connection to the car harness. I do like those labels. We use something at work that is similar to label aircraft harnesses with part numbers.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
You could do it yourself if you go slow and take your time.

Personally, if I was to have a HUD installed, it would be by the pull the dash method. Actually, from what I gather, you don't have to really remove the dashboard, just remove more fasteners and pull the dash out a bit. Some people cut a HVAC duct, but I can't imagine damaging and then repairing a HVAC plenum as a professional piece of work.
Please read post #3 in this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1579543742

Please also understand that the A10 also gets to use 'speedtape' during certain tasks over in a warm desert climate, sometimes in an unfriendly area

I've been upgrading HUDS on Corvettes since 2003, I have learned a few things over the years

btw: I believe the person you are referring to is painted onto the hog in the pic below?

No biggie.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Please read post #3 in this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1579543742

Please also understand that the A10 also gets to use 'speedtape' during certain tasks over in a warm desert climate, sometimes in an unfriendly area

I've been upgrading HUDS on Corvettes since 2003, I have learned a few things over the years

btw: I believe the person you are referring to is painted onto the hog in the pic below?

No biggie.
Steve a little confused by your post today, not sure what you are trying to tell us?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

If I were to install a HUD (I have one in my vert) there is no way I'd pull the dash or let someone else do it. There is just too much risk of developing rattles afterward. I was going to travel to Orlando to have a HUD installed in my 1LT '08 coupe but then I traded it.

There is nothing wrong with cutting a duct. A/C ducts in your house are all sealed and held together with aluminum or duct tape and it lasts for 20-30 years.

If the forum installers have done many dozens using the "cut" method successfully I think that is pretty good evidence that it is a valid method.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,109 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by HANNY
i feel like somebody should be getting a kickback for coming up with the easy install (going thru the speedo and cutting the vent pipe) that vendors are now selling tons of kits because they did??????????????
NAAHHHHHH that aint gonna happen, lol.
You need a kickback from the guys who make 300 bucks an hour installing them!!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
You need a kickback from the guys who make 300 bucks an hour installing them!!
ha ha,,,,,,,, no worries. I did it this way and at first was VERY reluctant to post it because of the guys who think its a hack not a mod. But when dozens of guys started contacting me i decided to do it anyway.

I agree with some guys that it seems like a hack job but take into consideration that the duct we are refering to is only 3 inch diameter and only feeds the drivers left vent. The HVAC tape permenantly fixes it back to stock and there are ZERO issues after the work.

Taking the dash out is the correct way but remember 2 things could and usually do happen when you do this if youre not a tech type guy.
1. The dash is a pretty exact fit and when done by a novice will rattle
2. you can almost be assured there will be a few scratches on the dash/center column/steering wheel etc....

To each there own but again take all my posts for what they are "FREE" and if you dont like the answer then just dont listen. have a safe CHRISTmas
Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rgauchey
They are frequently posted. People's reactions are all positive. The only negative posts i've read is the windshield glass is not the same as factory nav and apparently gives a double image.
False ... it only gives a double image after six shots of Tequila. I had my HUD installed in Sep. w/a standard windshield, looks sharp and clear ... on my way to the bar ...
Old 12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Quick Reply: HUD Kit