C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"I don't have any more Wheelhop"

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:51 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Default "I don't have any more Wheelhop"

I would like to share my experience with the manuel guys experiencing wheelhop. When you try to smoke the tires to get better grip at the drag strip or street and you feel a bouncing or shaking inside the car. This bouncing can break parts and be very expensive. I had this issue and installed bilstein HD shocks, pfadt tranny mounts and Firestone wide ovals in the back. With all this I still had the dreaded wheel hop. But thru alot of research and actual practice, I decided to take the car out and practice with it.

What worked for me was to actual rev the motor between 2500-3000 rpms. But before that take your left foot and press the clutch all the way to the floor. Gradually slowly lift up to the point where it just engages where the car first wants to move. Stop. This point the actual point where the car very first wants to move. Then press gas between 2500-3000 rpms from the point where car wants to move where the clutch petal is, slowly lift clutch a lil more to where the wheels start to spin then squeeze the throttle even more and totally raise clutch fully.

This procedure worked for me. Its just slipping the clutch slowly. I feel I have eliminated it for my car. I still had it with all the parts named above. You dont want to accelerate it to 2500-3000 rpms and quickly release the clutch thats where the hop comes in. Its slowly releasing the clutch, and giving it more throttle. I just wanted to share for those still experiencing and maybe frustrated like I was. This what worked for me just to give some insights and information.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I posted the same thing a few years ago. The best way I describe it is that you are trying to not "shock" the tires by banging the clutch. You want to get them spinning somewhat gradually - it's all relative though. Its still a pretty quick release, but not a drop-clutch.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 PM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I posted the same thing a few years ago. The best way I describe it is that you are trying to not "shock" the tires by banging the clutch. You want to get them spinning somewhat gradually - it's all relative though. Its still a pretty quick release, but not a drop-clutch.
thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
ninjabob86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 GS starts to wheel hop everytime the tach goes past 3500rpm in first or second. I just avoid doing that, but its no fun.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Originally Posted by ninjabob86
My 2011 GS starts to wheel hop everytime the tach goes past 3500rpm in first or second. I just avoid doing that, but its no fun.
I believe Its gradual steps and more feeling of what the clutch and tires are doin. I would keep the rpms down. Just slowly lift the clutch. Thats what I would do.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2011 GS/6spd/F55 with 4k miles and I have never experienced wheel hop.

I've lit the rear tires up a few times from a dead stop, stabbed the gas from a rolling start and shifted up through the gears spinning tires, taken off quickly, etc... etc.... etc.... and have never had any issues with wheel hop.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
craftsman74066
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Is traction control on or off.I have other cars and can burn tires to the ground.This 07 wheel hops so bad i just gave up.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Originally Posted by craftsman74066
Is traction control on or off.I have other cars and can burn tires to the ground.This 07 wheel hops so bad i just gave up.
For the C6, Just press it once. For traction control off. You want it off.

I as many was very frustrated with wheelhop. But thru more research and actual practicing in vacant parking lots I feel I have mastered this.

I was very careful like others not to break anything. But I know this car has so much potential at the track and we need the grip from the tires to be heated.

The only way to achieve this was to start practicing on my own.
Also I would like to credit "Ranger" for his informative information regarding our cars. Also I dont know if this helps but, I always keep my clutch fluid clean per "Ranger". Mine is clear and not black.

With the clutch fluid clean, the clutch feels more sold and control. Also I wear thin shoes so I can feel what the clutch is doin in relationship to actual movement of the car.

Last edited by corvet786c; 11-02-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:48 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick996
2011 GS/6spd/F55 with 4k miles and I have never experienced wheel hop.

I've lit the rear tires up a few times from a dead stop, stabbed the gas from a rolling start and shifted up through the gears spinning tires, taken off quickly, etc... etc.... etc.... and have never had any issues with wheel hop.
I assume you have the stock G/Y runcraps. They are crap, and they spin freely. When running some rubber that has grip like Michelin PS2's, then you will find out if the suspension/tires will hold the power, or you will meet our enemy: WHEEL HOP.

Do believe Ranger has some good ideas on how to drive the car, but still believe there has to be a better way. Let's find a solution
Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

or just add horsepower

Old 11-23-2011, 10:04 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

Doing it too slow is an excellent way to burn out your clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To "I don't have any more Wheelhop"

Quick Reply: "I don't have any more Wheelhop"