C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's going to buy a 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:07 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by csnow
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I fear that unless Chevy changes the Corvette when the boomers are gone, so will go the Corvette. It really doesn't matter if the Corvette beats Ferrari or Lambo at the track. Faster or slower, it will never be in the same league as those exotics. That's like getting beat by a AMC Gremlin at the strip. Who cares if he was in the low 10's, the guy driving home in the faster car is still driving a Gremlin. Sorry, but the current C6 is not worth the asking price - far from it. I think they are great cars for the money used, but I would never pay 70k+ for a new C6.

Although I have the financial means to do so, I feel the car is overpriced for the cheap interior, electronics, and aged technology. Just look at the high quality sound system and nav system that comes equipped in Chevy's flag ship ZR1. If I was going to spend that kind of coin on a new vehicle, it would be a Porsche, BMW, or Audi. So, I guess I am with the majority of the younger crowd (41) in that if I were a new car purchaser, I wouldn't buy Corvette. With that said, I will keep my C6 until the wheels fall off. Maybe I will get a C7 when its at the close of that generation's life-cycle.
You have morphed your response into something different here - now you are talking about it being over priced. I agree that I think GM is pushing the price of the average Corvette too high. The basic Corvette at around $50,000 I'm okay with. But I'm the first to say that what they are trying to do is push buyers up to a $65-70,000 Grand Sport as the starting car.

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
If you look at the "Boss Mustang" or any of the GTR threads, you see copious numbers of comments that say "So what if the [Boss Mustang/GTR] beats the Corvette - it's still only a [Mustang/Nissan]. Guess what, the same is being said of a Corvette. Is it hard to imagine a Cayman owner saying "So what if a Corvette is faster in a drag race, it's still a cheap Corvette with floppy seats."?

The reality is that the Corvette has an image problem. It is stereotyped as having a terrible interior, and who can name another car whose seat flops forward like a Corvette seat? The drivers are stereotyped as being old and unfit, thus the wide, unsupportive seats. The drivers aren't seen as serious drivers, who put their cars away for the winter like they're megabuck cars when Porsche, Audi, and BMW drivers are driving their more expensive vehicles year around and taking them up to the ski slopes.

People thought I was nuts when I purchased a Corvette. But I tell you, it's damn fine car. If I had to do it again, I'd still buy this car over any Audi except the TT RS, any BMW, and any Porsche except a Cayman or a GT2/GT3. The drivers of those other European cars who have driven my Corvette are truly surprised by how well it drives and handles, yet also very aware of the interior shortcomings. I'd bet there are a few who after having driven my Corvette, if they could overcome their stereotypes of what kind of driver owns a Corvette, would seriously consider one for their next car.

GM has a big task ahead of them. It is not an insurmountable one, but getting from here to where they need to be to have the Corvette survive the next decade will mean going against a lot of their existing and shrinking customer base. It remains to be seen if they have the courage to do that.
I have mixed emotions here - I agree that most buyers of Porsches etc don't care about the Corvette. But that does not diminish the fact that the Corvette is a world class car. I do get your point though.

BTW, I am NOT one of the Corvette owners who looks down their nose at the Mustang. I have a lot of respect for what they have done with the car, and I would see no shame in owning either a Shelby GT or Boss.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 AM
csnow
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree jschindler, I got off track with my response. I still love the C6 though
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Turbo's generate more underhood heat the trans tunnel is hot now hot with turbo owned a turbo 6 cyl 87 grand sport. Do not want another 6 cyl turbo. And don't get met started on foreign front wheel drive motor cyl engine cars. Given enough money you can make a monkey faster than a corvette but who wants it. If you can't design a rear drive car that's fast and gets good gas mileage get out of the car business. Quit mimicing japanese cars please. I sold my last 427 in 1974 will not be giving this one up any time soon for a 327 1962 corvette year cubic inch engine any time soon.
z51vett
Sorry for the rant diff strokes for diff folks.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by sprtplt
It is two thousand thirteen, not year thirteen. They don't skip floor 113.
What building has 113 stories?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
You have morphed your response into something different here - now you are talking about it being over priced. I agree that I think GM is pushing the price of the average Corvette too high. The basic Corvette at around $50,000 I'm okay with. But I'm the first to say that what they are trying to do is push buyers up to a $65-70,000 Grand Sport as the starting car.

I have mixed emotions here - I agree that most buyers of Porsches etc don't care about the Corvette. But that does not diminish the fact that the Corvette is a world class car. I do get your point though.

BTW, I am NOT one of the Corvette owners who looks down their nose at the Mustang. I have a lot of respect for what they have done with the car, and I would see no shame in owning either a Shelby GT or Boss.
First Corvette 2011 sales were up 5% over 2010 through third quarter.
and sold a total of just over 12,000 in 2010,,
Porsche, minus the 4 doors and suvs, sold less than 10,000 in 2010

Cheapest Porsche $51k 2.9l 265hp
Cheapest Porsche with comparable power, $110k
Base Vette $49K,, (I just got my new 11 2LT for $41k)
Cheapest Ferrari $192k
BMW M3 $60k

A base GS, is $56k, virtually any GS with the same options as a base coupe is $5900 more. It may be hard to find a base GS on most lots, but then I had a hard time finding a base coupe.

most people that buy Porsche, etc do so to show off their money not because they are better cars. And those with that kind of money don't worry about bang for the buck, or value at all. If they did, no one would ever buy a Jaguar.

Boxsters get the same reliability rating as a Corvette. And Ferrari,, you can't get a rating. BMW reliability is worse than Corvettes, or Chevy in general for that matter.
I don't think there is much at all wrong with Corvettes.

Chevy may well change the vette to follow the money, but I think that is a mistake. I think you should ride the horse that got you to the show.

And Mustangs and Camaros are great cars, especially for the price, just not a great as a Vette.

Last edited by hig4s; 10-29-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I agree jschindler, I got off track with my response. I still love the C6 though
It's all good. I appreciate the exchange with you
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by z51vett
Given enough money you can make a monkey faster than a corvette ..................
This ............

Last edited by MikeyTX; 12-14-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

The only way I would buy a '13 is if I somehow manage to demolish my GrandSport. I am looking forward to buying a C7.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Glen220
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider buying a new Corvette except I want the Z51 Package and it is no longer available as a stand alone option. You have to get the Grand Sport to get the Z51. I don't care for the gills on the GS so I'll just keep what I got.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 AM
lowwhite6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the C7 hits the showroom floor I'm getting the first white auto I see.No more shifting for me,getting too old for that.Just going to lower it and put some badass rims,tint the windows and that will be my last car I will get.Might wait for the 2015 just to play it safe.My 2005 so far has been the most trouble free car i've ever owned.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

I'm about at the same point. I will be 70 + when my wife retires from our school district in 4 yrs. Like hulksdaddy, I see a CTS-V in my future.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I think this is the answer. If the C7 changes too much into a car us older Corvette lovers don't recognize, there will be a rush to get a 2013, if in fact that is the last year for the C6.
Did that with my Acura TL, they redesigned in 2009, UGLY, I ran out and got an '08 late in the model year, they were making good deals to make room for the '09, still (IMHO) one of the best looking cars around.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by lowwhite6
When the C7 hits the showroom floor I'm getting the first white auto I see.No more shifting for me,getting too old for that.Just going to lower it and put some badass rims,tint the windows and that will be my last car I will get.Might wait for the 2015 just to play it safe.My 2005 so far has been the most trouble free car i've ever owned.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
mtraylor2001
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I will buy a 2013 if they totally revamp the new c7 as most of us are expecting. I'm hoping it will be the new bad @ss on the block, and the car that everyone aspires to get. That is what Corvette has always been and stands for as the best American Sports Car. Over the past 10 years I have seen many companies fail in business, and most of them are the ones whom have stayed with the flock sort of speak. I"m excited that chevy is embracing the future and bringing us corvette nuts the next generation of chevy, that will shut up the critics. That being said, I will probably wait for mid stream to order mine, after the factory is in good form of building this new machine. Oh and all the colors are released. I cant wait!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:00 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I've owned my '84, a '97, and my '05 new so not afraid of the first year issues. I am currently first on the list at a local dealer for a C7, (assuming MY 2014, mid '13 introduction) and they have a large allocation so I am confident it will happen. Production constraints on certain options at the start of the run are the only thing that could result in mine not being the first one they receive. I am assuming the '13 models will offer something along the lines of a stripe/embroidered headrest/special wheel/color to make a 60th anniversary model which does not interest me. If the C7 turns out to be a dud, there will be plenty of low mile C6s (Z06/ZR1) out there if I feel the need to upgrade at that time.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:24 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypher
Ohhhhh…I used to have the HOTS for Elvira.
uggggg, isn't she like 70 or 80
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've had an 05 Coupe, 07 Coupe, 07 Pace Car Vert, two 08 Coupes, 2010 GS Coupe, 2011 GS Coupe, and now a 2012 GS Coupe.
Hate to say it, but chances are....yes, I'll get a 2013.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's going to buy a 2013?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
I'm about at the same point. I will be 70 + when my wife retires from our school district in 4 yrs. Like hulksdaddy, I see a CTS-V in my future.
I will be turning 65 next year and deciding I may also see a CTS-V in my future.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM
rhcpfreak7
Instructor

The six cylinder shouldn't bother you. I know some snap your neck, scary fast Grand National's and Toyota Supra's that would rape the majority of C6's on here. I know there are some stupid fast vettes here but head on down to Florida and those "smaller" motors will surprise you. GM needs to go turbo - end of story. Once the motor and chassis is setup for a turbo from the factory, it opens up the ability to mod easily which would change the forced induction scene for these cars to levels not yet seen. There were so many options available for my Supra. To have these options for the C7 would attract a lot more buyers i.e. the younger import crowd
Anything other than a V8 engine in a Corvette would be a insult to the car's heritage. 55 years its had some of the most powerful engines seen on the street and track, and now because of some initiative to constrict those of us who have made these beasts a part of our life and "reach out" to a younger crowd, we are supposed to settle for whats convenient? Last thing we need is a bunch of teenagers getting daddy to buy them cars they cant handle or appreciate.

2014 Corvette goes V6, the 2013 is the last corvette ill ever love.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
rhcpfreak7
Instructor

Originally Posted by hig4s
First Corvette 2011 sales were up 5% over 2010 through third quarter.
and sold a total of just over 12,000 in 2010,,
Porsche, minus the 4 doors and suvs, sold less than 10,000 in 2010

Cheapest Porsche $51k 2.9l 265hp
Cheapest Porsche with comparable power, $110k
Base Vette $49K,, (I just got my new 11 2LT for $41k)
Cheapest Ferrari $192k
BMW M3 $60k

A base GS, is $56k, virtually any GS with the same options as a base coupe is $5900 more. It may be hard to find a base GS on most lots, but then I had a hard time finding a base coupe.

most people that buy Porsche, etc do so to show off their money not because they are better cars. And those with that kind of money don't worry about bang for the buck, or value at all. If they did, no one would ever buy a Jaguar.

Boxsters get the same reliability rating as a Corvette. And Ferrari,, you can't get a rating. BMW reliability is worse than Corvettes, or Chevy in general for that matter.
I don't think there is much at all wrong with Corvettes.

Chevy may well change the vette to follow the money, but I think that is a mistake. I think you should ride the horse that got you to the show.

And Mustangs and Camaros are great cars, especially for the price, just not a great as a Vette.

all extremely well put

Quick Reply: Who's going to buy a 2013?