C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thief Tries to Steal Corvette, Winds Up Trapped Inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JimTN
Actually, with a C6 coupe, there are 2 ways to get out if the battery goes dead, and at least 2 ways to get in.

A friend of mine who shall go nameless, has owned 25 or 26 Corvettes and he locked himself into one of the 05 coupes I used to own. He didn't know about the release on the floor, and I still don't know why he didn't just take the top off. He called his SIL on his cell phone to come and get him out.
Is your friend blonde?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Charlie from Cherry Hill
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
If I had not read my owners manual, I would have been in a similar situation.

I thought it would be funny to share my humbling experience with corvette owners here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-i-feel-stupid.
Link does not work.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by torch red ryder
Link does not work.
Somehow the .html ending fell off. Link fixed

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...el-stupid.html
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteNGT500
gbgary..., you beet me to it.... lol

colorado boys thinking a like.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
Unless you are an un-educated theif!
Or a dumba$$ owner locked in his Corvette at work... after 20 minutes he finally called a dealership for help!

See "Venting in the Corvette" on youtube.

I'd post it here but the language might offend sensitive folks.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:26 AM
beerbarrel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might not can spell but I can get out of a Corvette..... I forgot that i before e except after c rule!

Originally Posted by gbgary
oops
Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Personally, I love the system. I just open the car, sttart it up, and go. No taking keys out, no putting keys back in my pocket. Never really have to worry about forgetting my keys anywhere because they never leave my pocket. ... Although it seems like the system adds weight, I really wonder if it does. Even with "normal" power locks, you have the same electronic actuators, some electronics for door locking logic, etc. The only difference is the substitution of pushbuttons for mechanical levers, and the elimination of the lock cylinders. My guess is it probably saves weight overall...
I like to think of it as my car knows my DNA. Whenever my finger touches the car it responds but it won't respond at all for anyone else unless I'm very close to them to vouch for them. I never have to fumble for (drop/loose) keys. I never have to think about locking or unlocking the car. The car has a brain of its own and knows I'm the only one allowed to give it commands.

As for weight I would also assume that electronics weigh less than steel lock cylinders, rods, and levers. And steel lock cylinders are a MAJOR pain in the north where they freeze in the winter. Which is easier, putting a smooth FOB in your pocket once a day or having sharp keys and a lighter to thaw the lock?

Finally, the FOB system has fewer moving parts to wear. I've had mechanical locks fail from wear several times but I have never had a FOB fail where simply replacing the battery didn't solve the problem.

OK, IB, is this what you had in mind for noobs to see following your "ad" thread?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
CF Editor
IB Staff

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I like to think of it as my car knows my DNA. Whenever my finger touches the car it responds but it won't respond at all for anyone else unless I'm very close to them to vouch for them. I never have to fumble for (drop/loose) keys. I never have to think about locking or unlocking the car. The car has a brain of its own and knows I'm the only one allowed to give it commands.

As for weight I would also assume that electronics weigh less than steel lock cylinders, rods, and levers. And steel lock cylinders are a MAJOR pain in the north where they freeze in the winter. Which is easier, putting a smooth FOB in your pocket once a day or having sharp keys and a lighter to thaw the lock?

Finally, the FOB system has fewer moving parts to wear. I've had mechanical locks fail from wear several times but I have never had a FOB fail where simply replacing the battery didn't solve the problem.

OK, IB, is this what you had in mind for noobs to see following your "ad" thread?
I like the argument that it might actually save weight! And I have to admit, keyless entry is my favorite modern car gizmo.

As for posting this thread, I just figured people would get a kick out of this story. I hope you did!

Last edited by CF Editor; 10-26-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
Unless you are an un-educated theif!
I before E except after C.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 PM
beerbarrel
Instructor

I was a slow learner...what can I say!

Originally Posted by kh400
I before E except after C.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One other thing to note- if the Corvette used a standard key system, it would have been stolen. Instead of not starting because there wasn't enough battery power, I'm guessing the fob was with the owner, so the start button wouldn't work.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CF Editor
This is a pretty hilarious story.

But all kidding aside, does anyone have a good explanation as to why this system is a good idea? A lot of Corvettes are weekend or second cars, and can be finicky about keeping a charge on the battery.
I gotta raise the flag on this story. Just because a battery is too weak to start the car doesn't mean it's completely dead. Even if it won't turn over there is still enough charge left to run the interior lights and other minor systems. How much juice does it take to operate the little solenoid that releases the door latch?

A more likely explanation is that the door was locked, and the thief, who was obviously unfamiliar with the car, didn't notice the unlock button.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 PM
SharkByte
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carl3989
For Grand Larceny Auto? Wow! Must be a left over from the days when you could shoot horse thiefs. eh?
If he has a weapon your life is in danger and you can shoot him. Personally I've deployed to the middle east 7 times. I've been shot at, had mortars shot at me and had shrapnel land around me. I'd rather not go out to some punk with a screw driver...
Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Personally, I love the system. I just open the car, sttart it up, and go. No taking keys out, no putting keys back in my pocket. Never really have to worry about forgetting my keys anywhere because they never leave my pocket. About the only thing I would change would be the addition of a sensor in the rear hatch area to prevent the "keys in the jacket - jacket in the trunk" syndrome.

Although it seems like the system adds weight, I really wonder if it does. Even with "normal" power locks, you have the same electronic actuators, some electronics for door locking logic, etc. The only difference is the substitution of pushbuttons for mechanical levers, and the elimination of the lock cylinders. My guess is it probably saves weight overall.

I wish all of my cars had the system. (BTW - my battery has been perfect for 4+ years, and 6 - 10 weeks of inactivity per week 1-2 weeks at a time. Maybe I've been lucky)
In fact this normally sufficient icon just doesn't do it justice in this regard. I couldn't agree more with you. The C6 fob is one of the things I love the most about its technology when it comes to daily convenience. "With great power comes great responsibility." My suggestion is to learn the system and go with the flow.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

For Grand Larceny Auto? Wow! Must be a left over from the days when you could shoot horse thiefs. eh?
Originally Posted by choprfgr
You can can STILL shoot horse thieves.
You mean you can't????
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "BlondeStar" YouTube posting by KenHorse says it all.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Mlo
Advanced

Its legal in Texas to shoot someone breakin into your car no matter if it on your properity or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Thief Tries to Steal Corvette, Winds Up Trapped Inside

Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlo
Its legal in Texas to shoot someone breakin into your car no matter if it on your properity or not.
Just make sure and aim high enough that you don't hit the car also. Then get to work cleaning the splatter off right away.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by choprfgr
You can can STILL shoot horse thieves.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
ayang951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I am so glad I live in Texas where it is legal to put a double tap on a person in your yard.
you know what, i believe all states should be like that.. here in california so much crap goes on, because everyone knows that no one can do that. but in texas i noticed a lot more people being more reserved because of that... no one goes road rages or anything, because why, its simple, you don't have a gun and the other guy more than likely does... i learned that from a good friend that lives out there in texas, and i feel it should be like that everywhere!

Quick Reply: Thief Tries to Steal Corvette, Winds Up Trapped Inside