C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 automatic transmission filter change

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Bolts must be removed and tranny raised. I watched my Corvette tech do it three weeks ago. Let the pro handle this one.

Same tech 21 years. Followed him to three dealerships - one of them 80 miles from my house. Yes, he's THAT good.
It is always good to find some one that you can trust to work on your car.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Bolts must be removed and tranny raised. I watched my Corvette tech do it three weeks ago. Let the pro handle this one.

Same tech 21 years. Followed him to three dealerships - one of them 80 miles from my house. Yes, he's THAT good.
Yes, bolts have to be removed...raise the tranny...NO WAY. This does NOT need to be done. The pan can be removed without lifting anything, it drops straight down. Three or four bolts require an open end wrench, and a socket on all the others. Torque to 100in/lbs and you should be able to pretty well guess the torque with the bolts you can't fit the torque wrench on. I had the rear wheels on blocks, a carpenter's level on the driver door sill, to make sure car was level, and did the pan and filter in the driveway. Easy, but messy job...large drip pan needed.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I just wanted to post this pic of my C6 A6 trans that I took this afternoon.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM
john.c.bauer@me.com
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old posting but I know people are still looking at it for advice about the filter change. I did it today on my brothers 05 C6. It is actually not too bad. The big thing is the bolt on the back passenger side corner of the pan. It is tough to get to and the pan won't come all the way off unless you jack the transmission up. With that said you can still change the filter without removing the pan entirely. The big question everyone has it where do you put the transmission fluid back in when done. In simple words you use the drain plug, the same place where you drained it. You fill it til it starts to come out just like the postings say and then start the car and shift through the gears and let it warm up. once back at operating temperature you can top it off. You have to keep it running or all the fluid would just drain back out. The car is doing fine and it only took a couple hours and I took my time.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Using a combination of an open end wrench and a 1/4 in drive 10MM swivel socket and extension, it can be done, Its a PITA, but it can be done with out raising the transmission. Of course raising the the trans in the cradle helps!!

Quick Reply: C6 automatic transmission filter change