C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZL1 to be Competitively Priced to the ZO6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
I thinks it's just another camaro....
Folks could say that about a ZR1 (it's just another Corvette) if they choose to. But why would they unless they didn't know what they were talking about.

Tom
Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,009 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Folks could say that about a ZR1 (it's just another Corvette) if they choose to. But why would they unless they didn't know what they were talking about.

Tom
I do know people who say that about the ZR1, my wife....haha

For real...it's a camaro...if you want one get one...
Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
What year for the GT500??????????
Huge difference between a 2010 and a 2011+.
It still has a solid live axle, without independent rear suspension.. The only Mustang that has independent suspension is the Roush converstion. And it does much better on the tight tracks than the GT500.

Here are the track times from the car and driver VIR testing 2011 http://www.caranddriver.com/features...r-times-page-7
The 2011 was only a second faster on the track than the 2008 GT500 when it was tested. The redesigned 2010 was slower than the 08.

Last edited by hig4s; 10-26-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM
XSQUID
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I intend to get one as soon as they come out because I do like Camaro's and I want the performance as well but I definitely will be keeping my 08 coupe as well. No comparison to the Corvette, but I do want the back seat for my best buddy (Goldendoodle). He is too big for the seat in the Vette and doesn't ride well in it, therefor, I want a Camaro and I have delayed getting one waiting for when GM decided to come out with the Z-28 or in this case the ZL-1. In the meantime the dog rides in my Jeep or my truck and in some cases the wifes Sequoia.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

GM announces 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 specs, pricing from $54,995

By Jeff Sabatini RSS feed
Posted Nov 15th 2011 11:26AM

Comments88

How does fifty-five grand for 580 horsepower sound? Probably not as good as the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 at full scream.

General Motors has come clean with pricing and performance details for the most powerful Camaro ever, and as expected, it's something of a bargain. An official MSRP of $54,995 includes a $900 delivery charge, and that pile of cash buys a 6.2-liter, supercharged and intercooled LSA V8 that's good for 556 lb-ft of torque. The ZL1 will also pack standard Performance Traction Management, a suite of electronic suspension and steering enhancements including magnetic ride control, launch control, traction control, stability control and electric power steering. Chevrolet is also touting the Camaro's track-readiness, thanks to standard rear differential cooler, engine and transmission oil coolers, and brake-cooling ducts.

Chevy's official performance specs for the Camaro ZL1 favor the automatic, which can do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and cover the quarter-mile in 12.0 seconds at 119 miles per hour. The manual is a tenth of a second slower in both exercises. Know too, that Chevy's stopwatches time from a rolling start. Top speed for the manual is 180 mph and the automatic is four miles per hour faster. Both cars can pull 1.0 g on the skidpad, according to the automaker.

There are only six options on the ZL1, starting with the choice of transmission. An extra $1,185 will get you a six-speed automatic with manual shift mode. Adding bright aluminum wheels will set you back $470, as will stripes. A sunroof is priced at $900, while the carbon fiber hood insert is $600. Finally, a suede package for the steering wheel and shifter is $500. Leather interior is standard, along with heated power seats, and a nine-speaker audio system with USB port and Bluetooth.

Dealers should get their ZL1 coupes in the spring of 2012, getting a head start on the forthcoming 2013 Ford Shelby GT500. Read the full press release after the jump.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

And just for shyts & giggles..

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers 650 HP and 200 MPH straight from the factory

By Steven J. Ewing RSS feed
Posted Nov 15th 2011 12:02AM

Comments238

Six hundred and fifty horsepower. Six hundred pound-feet of torque. Over 200 miles per hour. With specs like these, you don't need long-form introductions. This is the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500, and all we can say is, the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 has officially been put on notice.

The heart of the new Ford stunner is a 5.8-liter, aluminum-block V8, complete with a larger, more efficient supercharger. Nearly the entire powertrain has been upgraded for 2013, including a new cross-drilled block and heads, updated camshaft profiles, a carbon fiber driveshaft and upgraded clutch, transmission and axle. The cooling system has also been upgraded, and the new six-speed manual transmission now has a final drive ratio of 3.31-to-1 – optimized to handle the massive amounts of torque put down by the new engine.

Further enhancements can be had in the GT500 Performance Pack, which incorporates SVT-designed Blistein electronic adjustable dampers with 'normal' and 'sport' modes and a Torsen limited-slip differential. What's more, the Track Package adds an external engine oil cooler, rear differential cooler and transmission cooler. Like the current GT500, 19-inch wheels are standard up front (20-inch rollers are found out back) and a Brembo braking system keeps everything in check when its time to control all that force. The whole package weighs in at just 3,850 pounds – 270 less than the Camaro ZL1 – and Ford says it will not be subject to the dreaded Gas Guzzler Tax.

Visually, not too much has changed from the current GT500, save some minor aerodynamic tweaks like an ever-so-slightly revised front fascia with new air splitters, as well as a minimally tweaked rear end. Inside, it's the same levels of comfort and refinement that you'll find in the rest of the Mustang lineup, albeit with new Recaro front buckets.

We'll be sure to get up close and personal with the GT500 this week at the LA Auto Show, but for now, wipe the drool from your keyboards and hit the jump for Ford's official press release.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Corvette definitely needs to step its game up! The pony cars are not playing around anymore.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter what fools pay for that Camaro it's true worth will be seen in the first and second year depreciation. It's a catchy slogan "Like a Rock". And.....that's what the resale value of that car do...drop like a rock.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Corvette definitely needs to step its game up! The pony cars are not playing around anymore.
They can start throwing out 700 HP supercharged demons... but at this point the real test will be the suspensions, durability and TIRES.

Something the ZO6 does exceptionally well from the factory, although the tires are suspect. Maybe GM should be selling these with Nitto's from the sales floor.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I guess at some point I'll get tired of responding to these sort of comments, but I'm not yet.

You do realize that the same thing has happened for many years. In the late 60's there were 69 Camaros built with the ZL1 engine and two Corvettes built with it. But somehow the Corvette survived. In fact, the Corvette has survived non-stop except 83 due to the new model not being ready. Yet the Camaro actually died for what - six years I think.

Do you ever wonder why people buy 350 hp Porsche 911's for $90,000 when they could buy a base Mustang GT with 412hp for less than $30,000?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jschindler
I guess at some point I'll get tired of responding to these sort of comments, but I'm not yet.

You do realize that the same thing has happened for many years. In the late 60's there were 69 Camaros built with the ZL1 engine and two Corvettes built with it. But somehow the Corvette survived. In fact, the Corvette has survived non-stop except 83 due to the new model not being ready. Yet the Camaro actually died for what - six years I think.

Do you ever wonder why people buy 350 hp Porsche 911's for $90,000 when they could buy a base Mustang GT with 412hp for less than $30,000?
And in all that you still miss the point. Nobody said the Corvette was not going to survive. I said the Corvette needs to step its game up.

A $55k MSRP Camaro should not out perform a $55k MSRP Corvette. The Corvette is the flagship GM sportscar, not the Camaro.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 11-15-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

And in all that you still miss the point. Nobody said the Corvette was not going to survive. I said the Corvette needs to step its game up.

A $55k MSRP Camaro should not out perform a $55k MSRP Corvette. The Corvette is the flagship GM sportscar, not the Camaro.
Okay, then define what you mean when you say they need to step up there game? You mean that 638hp is not enough anymore?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Okay, then define what you mean when you say they need to step up there game? You mean that 638hp is not enough anymore?
You mean the 638hp that has a $110,000 MSRP?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

You mean the 638hp that has a $110,000 MSRP?

Ahhh, now I get it. You want the Corvette to have the same hp as the Camaro AND the same price.

BTW, I find it ironic that you used the term "sportscar" for the Corvette. Hint, hint. Like I said in another thread, do you also think that People who spend $90,000 on 350 hp Porsches care that a Mustang GT has 412 hp for under $30,000?

Don't get me wrong. I"m sure there will be potential Corvette buyers who will buy a ZL1 instead. But the bottom line is that they are more interested in a muscle car than a sports car.

I'd love to have a 580 hp Corvette from the factory for $55k as much as the next guy. But I get that one car is based upon a six cylinder car that school girls and secretaries buy while the other is based upon a world class sports car platform. I'm okay with that.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:49 PM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This courtesy of Camaro5:
The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Coupe accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds, and can reach a top speed of 184 mph. Starting at $54,095, including Performance Traction Management and Magnetic Ride suspension, the ZL1 delivers supercar levels of performance and technology for the price of a sports car.

Mines on order!!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Ahhh, now I get it. You want the Corvette to have the same hp as the Camaro AND the same price.

BTW, I find it ironic that you used the term "sportscar" for the Corvette. Hint, hint. Like I said in another thread, do you also think that People who spend $90,000 on 350 hp Porsches care that a Mustang GT has 412 hp for under $30,000?

Don't get me wrong. I"m sure there will be potential Corvette buyers who will buy a ZL1 instead. But the bottom line is that they are more interested in a muscle car than a sports car.

I'd love to have a 580 hp Corvette from the factory for $55k as much as the next guy. But I get that one car is based upon a six cylinder car that school girls and secretaries buy while the other is based upon a world class sports car platform. I'm okay with that.
I'm glad the Camaro and Mustang are both getting huge bumps. Common sense dictates that technology, horsepower & efficiency should increase as time goes on. But the Corvette is now looking stagnant as other cars continue to increase their output and overall performance. I understand the C7 is coming in 2 years.. but regardless the Corvette still should be bumping up HP. For 5 years the LS3 at 430hp. For 7 years the Z06 at 505. And for 4 years now the ZR1 is at 638hp. Is it a wonder why sales are falling year after year?

Everybody else is seeing nice sized bumps.. while the Corvette seems forgotten. Im wondering just how far this will go as the rest of the world catches up.. and passes in some cases.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 11-15-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 70 Posts

And just for shyts & giggles..

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers 650 HP and 200 MPH straight from the factory

By Steven J. Ewing RSS feed
Posted Nov 15th 2011 12:02AM

Comments238

Six hundred and fifty horsepower. Six hundred pound-feet of torque. Over 200 miles per hour. With specs like these, you don't need long-form introductions. This is the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500, and all we can say is, the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 has officially been put on notice.

The heart of the new Ford stunner is a 5.8-liter, aluminum-block V8, complete with a larger, more efficient supercharger. Nearly the entire powertrain has been upgraded for 2013, including a new cross-drilled block and heads, updated camshaft profiles, a carbon fiber driveshaft and upgraded clutch, transmission and axle. The cooling system has also been upgraded, and the new six-speed manual transmission now has a final drive ratio of 3.31-to-1 – optimized to handle the massive amounts of torque put down by the new engine.

Further enhancements can be had in the GT500 Performance Pack, which incorporates SVT-designed Blistein electronic adjustable dampers with 'normal' and 'sport' modes and a Torsen limited-slip differential. What's more, the Track Package adds an external engine oil cooler, rear differential cooler and transmission cooler. Like the current GT500, 19-inch wheels are standard up front (20-inch rollers are found out back) and a Brembo braking system keeps everything in check when its time to control all that force. The whole package weighs in at just 3,850 pounds – 270 less than the Camaro ZL1 – and Ford says it will not be subject to the dreaded Gas Guzzler Tax.

Visually, not too much has changed from the current GT500, save some minor aerodynamic tweaks like an ever-so-slightly revised front fascia with new air splitters, as well as a minimally tweaked rear end. Inside, it's the same levels of comfort and refinement that you'll find in the rest of the Mustang lineup, albeit with new Recaro front buckets.

We'll be sure to get up close and personal with the GT500 this week at the LA Auto Show, but for now, wipe the drool from your keyboards and hit the jump for Ford's official press release.
game, set, match WINNER!

Get notified of new replies

To ZL1 to be Competitively Priced to the ZO6?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Now that Ford Mustang will come with 650HP and the Camaro around 580HP and the ZR1 at 638HP, This is going to be interesting to see what Chevrolet does next And Camaro gets the Automatic but yet neither the Z06 or the ZR1 do. I think the Manure has Officially hit the Fan....
Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
Now that Ford Mustang will come with 650HP and the Camaro around 580HP and the ZR1 at 638HP, This is going to be interesting to see what Chevrolet does next And Camaro gets the Automatic but yet neither the Z06 or the ZR1 do. I think the Manure has Officially hit the Fan....
Who cares about the horsepower numbers ? The pony cars may have powerful motors but they are saddled with high weight. Sporting they are not.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Regardless of how well the new Camaro might perform, it still looks like a cartoon.

Quick Reply: ZL1 to be Competitively Priced to the ZO6?