C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

red air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 PM
BrettsVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is constantly on and off for over a year regardless of speed. I suspect loose connection on mine and for those noticing the problem at high speed; triple digit driving = some increased vibration = presentation of poor connection symptoms. Will be checking connector as previously described and will report results. Thanks for the info everybody! -Brett.

Last edited by BrettsVette; 07-19-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-19-2014, 06:28 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
Make sure to file the NHTSA complaint.
I filed a complaint yesterday but my light only comes on under hard acceleration and speeds over 100MPH.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MA ZO6
I filed a complaint yesterday but my light only comes on under hard acceleration and speeds over 100MPH.
That would be a good time to be able to count on the air bag to deploy if necessary. Will it? Nobody knows.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:25 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine comes on and off all the time .I tie wraped everything and still the same .I just live with it ,GM created the controlled seapage on their engines and I just figure this is just another oil leak that cant be fixed.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:53 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
Mine comes on and off all the time .I tie wraped everything and still the same .I just live with it ,GM created the controlled seapage on their engines and I just figure this is just another oil leak that cant be fixed.
I don't know about the oil leak but GM can fix the air bag light. It's the exact same fix as the Buick that WAS recalled for the same thing. They remove the yellow connector box under the drivers seat and solder the wires. They can do it on the Buick but don't want to do it on the Corvette.

Make sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA, it's the only way we will get GM to fix this issue.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

Last edited by VET4LES; 07-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM
duplantisjj
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Many trips to the dealer and paying my GMPP deductible for a new pretension did not fix my intermittent check air bag light. It was off and on for years. Finally after reading on the forum about the connectors under the seats I took action. I zip tied them together as tight as I could and have not had the light since. It's been about a year now and I am sure the problem is fixed. I payed the dealer for nothing and many wasted hours at the dealer for nothing. The picture shows the connectors. They are at the rear of the seat and are clipped to the seat.

Mine's been on and off for several weeks with normal driving but comes on at least a few times everytime I drive it. I had zip tied the connector a few months back and the light was gone until a few weeks ago. Last night I reached under the seat and tried moving that connector around a bit and squeezing the pieces together. Mine is laying on the flooring under the seat. This morning that light didn't come on. I'm 100% sure it's a faulty connector. I will try a bigger zip tie next and see how long that last. Did you also zip tie yours to the seat frame to stop it from bouncing around? Looks like yours is attached to your seat frame. Mine is just laying on the carpet and likely bounces around with bumps. A big disappointment that other GM vehicles with the same problem are getting recalled. This is a definite safety issue.
The following users liked this post:
Egangroup1 (11-12-2020)
Old 07-24-2014, 10:47 PM
jakk
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Took mine (2010 base) to the dealer about two weeks ago for the light. They replaced the front left impact sensor. Light was off for a few days, then started coming on again after a bumpier ride and has continued coming on and off randomly. I checked under the seat today and sure enough-that connector was laying on the floor. I re-attached it to the seat frame via the round metal clip on the wire harness, and I also added a zip tie in an effort to keep it more secure on the frame. I haven't added a zip tie to apply lateral force to hold the connector together, just one to keep it attached to the frame and hopefully have it move around less. I'll see if that did anything, if not it will be another dealer trip. Luckily my CPO warranty is good for the rest of the Summer while I can still drive it.

This is my first American car. I was debating between a new 5.0 or used C6. Ended up going used C6 and, as much as I like the car, this is kind of an embarrassing problem especially given that other vehicles have been recalled for the SAME problem. You think GM woulda learned after the last fiasco.

Last edited by jakk; 07-24-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:51 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about beating a dead horse here. Be advised that if the airbag light is illuminated on the dash the air bags will NOT deploy in an accident. My '08 had the problem early and I took it in to be repaired in 2010 under warranty. The car had 8,500 miles. The light came on soon after the repair. I drive the car rarely so today the car only has 10,200 miles on it.

Last week I asked the dealer to check with GM warranty and see if they can repair the car at their expense since it was not fixed correctly under warranty. I didn't get what I wanted from the dealer. The light is still on and driving with no airbags is not acceptable.

For those of you who did the tie wrap thing it might work and seems to be a good idea. However, as mentioned in TSB 08-09-41-002G assuring the CPA retainer is clicked into position or replaced with a new one is very important. The CPA retainer is the orange plastic thingy with plastic fingers that fit and click into the connector. Any yellow connector in the vehicle is an SIR connector so you might want to check them all.

Here is an cut from the TSB:

Note
The connector and connector position assurance (CPA) may seat independent of each other. Both the connector and CPA should seat with an audible and/or tactile click. The CPA isolates the shorting-bars within the connector allowing the deployment circuit to operate properly.

¤ If the CPA retainer is loose, damaged, or will not seat in the connector, replace it with a new one. Reinstall the CPA correctly by first pushing the connector body in completely, and then pushing the CPA retainer in completely.

¤ If the CPA retainer is not loose or damaged and is properly seated, proceed to Step 6.

6. Remove the CPA retainer and disconnect the electrical connector. Inspect the terminals for the following conditions:

- Corrosion

- Contamination

- Terminal tension

- Damage

Important
The terminals in the SIR/SRS system are made with a special plating. This plating provides the necessary contact integrity for the sensitive, low energy circuits. Use the J-38125 SIR Terminal Repair Kit for repairing SIR/SRS terminals and connectors. DO NOT substitute any other terminals for those in the repair kit.

¤ If the terminals are damaged, corrosion is observed, or have poor tension, repair or replace as necessary. Apply dielectric grease, GM P/N 12345579 (in Canada, use P/N 10953481) on the connector pins and terminals when reassembling. Refer to SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs in SI.

7. Connect the electrical connector, and install the CPA retainer.

Note
If the CPA retainer P/N 54590003 (Orange CPA) cannot be located in the J-38125 SIR Terminal Repair Kit, contact Kent Moore Tools @ 1-800-GM-TOOLS and order P/N 54590003-PKG to obtain a package of 5.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:00 PM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Yea the horse has pretty much been beat to a pulp. The yellow connector zip tie didn't work for me, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't worked for a lot of people. The only way to know for sure is to pay GM $100 to scan my car to see what's wrong, then pay whatever thousands it will cost to fix what's really causing the light.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

The above post contain good information. Unfortunately the zip tie method is only temporary. I've been doing it for over eight years and it last anywhere from a few months to a year. The only way to get GM to correct this problem like they are doing for the Buick is contact the NHTSA and file a complaint. It only takes a few minuets and is the only way we will get GM to correct this deadly defect.

The following users liked this post:
Egangroup1 (11-12-2020)
Old 07-26-2014, 03:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

bump
Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 PM
jakk
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the light came back on today even after reattaching the harness. Time to take it to the dealer again, where they now know my face. As much as I like this car, this sort of stuff is making me think this may be my first and last GM product. I have submitted a complaint to the website.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Mine just came on for the first time tonight on my '08. :-( Looks like it's a fairly common issue.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 PM
dariodelconte
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
1am or 2am is a pretty good time for a drive.
um no dear all over the place in pa
Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM
slapshot12
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I got my '11 GS in June w/ 9500 miles on it. The air bag light has come on twice since then. Both times were normal driving and it will reset after the ignition is cycled a couple times. I'll go try the zip ties on the driver seat connector now. It came on yesterday and my speed never was more than 40, but one section of road was pretty bumpy. Filed a complaint today also.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slapshot12
I got my '11 GS in June w/ 9500 miles on it. The air bag light has come on twice since then. Both times were normal driving and it will reset after the ignition is cycled a couple times. I'll go try the zip ties on the driver seat connector now. It came on yesterday and my speed never was more than 40, but one section of road was pretty bumpy. Filed a complaint today also.
Like others I suggest you contact http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
to let them know about. I got lucky and fixed mine by just messing with black connector under the driver's seat. It got hung up on air freshener that someone (not me) put under the seat.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:57 AM
duplantisjj
Advanced

Mine appeared again today just when I was pulling out of the garage. I got out and wiggled the connector and the light went away until I got to my office (about 37 miles) then it appeared again. It's a bit annoying but no doubt this IS a safety issue. GM is recalling millions of cars due to air bag non-deployment issues and resulting deaths. Do people in cars have to die before the problem gets attention?

There's my little morning rant. Guess I need to schedule a visit to the dealer and see if they have any bright ideas.

Has anyone tried to swap out these connectors with ones that work? Like the ones GM is swapping out for Buick?

Get notified of new replies

To red air bag light

Old 08-16-2014, 11:15 AM
duplantisjj
Advanced

Google is your friend. I found the answer to my question about the 1.2 million Buicks and GMCs recalled with the exact same air bag light issue and what GM's fix is. Apparently the fix is to remove the connector and soldering wires. Looks fairly easy but I ain't touching it while still under warranty. Here's the GM repair bulletin for anyone (not under warranty) wanting to fix their own safety issue. The front and side air bags will not deploy while the light is on. Actually, I think someone posted the fix earlier in this thread but I'm just too lazy to go back and look. The repair bulletin does an excellent step by step guide to the repair. I'll do this once my warranty is gone (unless GM steps up and fixes it).

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/images...SB14030_AD.pdf
Old 08-16-2014, 04:53 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Even GM's fix for Buicks is kind of ridiculous, i.e. cut out the connector and solder the wires together. So the next time the seat has to be removed the wires have to be cut again? How about replacing the connector with one that works?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

It never ends. We will never get GM to fix this problem until all of us file a complaint with the NHTSA. I've filed 12 so far. Even if you have not had the problem chances are you will.

FILE A COMPLAINT today.

Quick Reply: red air bag light