C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX LT Headers ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 PM
JonathanFla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX LT Headers ???

Is this a good choice for my ls2 c6?

They seem to good to be true $700 ... im going with catless

Any one use obx is there a big diffrence between kooks and others ...
Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They'll make just as much power as any other brand and several members have put them on and proven them to be VERY good fit.

If I get another C6 the OBX will be going on it.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 PM
BigDs_C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do some searching... there's lots of threads on here about them. Some love them, some had major issues with them.

I came very close to buying a set for my car, but in the end I ended up forking out $200 extra for a very nice set of used ARH's... glad that I did!!!

Either way, you'll most likely be happy with your purchase as long as you're looking for more power and sound from your car.

D
Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Chinese knock offs
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 PM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
They'll make just as much power as any other brand and several members have put them on and proven them to be VERY good fit.

If I get another C6 the OBX will be going on it.
Quoted for truth

Originally Posted by BigDs_C6
Do some searching... there's lots of threads on here about them. Some love them, some had major issues with them.

I came very close to buying a set for my car, but in the end I ended up forking out $200 extra for a very nice set of used ARH's... glad that I did!!!

Either way, you'll most likely be happy with your purchase as long as you're looking for more power and sound from your car.

D
Glad that you spent 200 more for a used set????

JK through. Im sure you are very happy as you wouldve been with the OBX

Originally Posted by boraxman
Chinese knock offs
What isnt these days??? The phone, computer and everyday materials we use are all from overseas...

Im very happy I bought my OBX headers

used, for 400, catless

They fit perfectly fine and look good to this day

If you want to save some money, buy them. If you want to spend more money on more known/board approved LTs, get something else.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 AM
BigDs_C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
Glad that you spent 200 more for a used set????

JK through. Im sure you are very happy as you wouldve been with the OBX

Me too!!! They had ~1000 miles on them and I had absolutely no fit issues what so ever, not to mention the build quality is night and day compared to the OBX's.

As you'll notice, I didn't knock the OBX's in my reply... gotta love it when someone gives you $hit for paying more for a quality, AMERICAN built product!!! That's why this country's in the shape it's in!!!

D
Old 10-20-2011, 01:05 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Me too!!! They had ~1000 miles on them and I had absolutely no fit issues what so ever, not to mention the build quality is night and day compared to the OBX's.

As you'll notice, I didn't knock the OBX's in my reply... gotta love it when someone gives you $hit for paying more for a quality, AMERICAN built product!!! That's why this country's in the shape it's in!!!

D
whats the difference in build? Did you hold them both in your hands and see the actual difference? How about dyno tune them both? or atleast install them both in the same car on the same day....

And I wasnt giving anyone **** about what they purchase or where its from. But to me, I could give a crap about the country's shape... no one else does. not even the pres..........

If I can keep a few more bucks in my pocket and still same good quality, im buying it

Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Gold Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been running a set of OBX headers for three years now. They were very well made, fit fine, and make good horsepower. While I prefer to buy American, I won't pay twice the price for an equal quality product just because it was made here.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:42 AM
BigDs_C6
Burning Brakes

whats the difference in build? Did you hold them both in your hands and see the actual difference?

Actually, I did... along with a set of Melrose and a set of LG's. Like I said, night and day!!! The LG's were very nice as well, but I really didn't like the slip fit at the collector. The ARH's have flanges on both the collector and the X-pipe which I liked more. I believe Kooks are made similar to the ARH's, but I didn't get to put my hands on a set of them. All of the American made sets were much higher quality in build... thicker flanges, nicer bends, nicer welds, better blending... but as usual, you get what you pay for.

Does this mean they'll have better numbers... NO!!! I never said they would, so I could realy give a rats a$$ about Dyno numbers... I said they were built better, I never said they would perform better!!!

And I wasnt giving anyone **** about what they purchase or where its from.

Really?.. maybe you should go back and re-read your reply!!! Or maybe I just interpretted it wrong?..

But to me, I could give a crap about the country's shape... no one else does. not even the pres..........

If I can keep a few more bucks in my pocket and still same good quality, im buying it

Funny, with an attitude and reply like that, I could have easily mistaken you for our Pres!!!

This thread has gotten waaayy off topic though... and again, I never said the OBX's were a bad choice, I was just trying to answer the OP's question.

Originally Posted by JonathanFla
Is this a good choice for my ls2 c6?
Search the forums for info on them and make an educated decision...

They seem to good to be true $700

is there a big diffrence between kooks and others ...
There is a difference, whether it's big really depends on you... what are you looking for? Quality, price, value, fit, finish...

What you're going to find if you do your research is exactly what I found when I was looking to buy mine. Every one is going to back what they have bought!!! They (including myself) will defend it to the end because, in the end, they want to feel that they made a good purchase. In the end, it really comes down to what you feel comfortable buying.

Basically, your options are:

D

Last edited by BigDs_C6; 10-20-2011 at 02:45 AM.
        Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 AM
        TommyV
        Le Mans Master
        Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
        St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Every one is going to back what they have bought!!! They (including myself) will defend it to the end because, in the end, they want to feel that they made a good purchase.
        Guilty.
        Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 AM
        mcandrew67
        Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
        2016 Corvette of Year
        2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I have the OBX and the quality on them was great. My shop had no problems with install, and gains were great with them on the dyno tuning. Only thing is trying to find O2 extensions long enough, they ended up making them in house. I think you get them with some of the other headers.
        And I'm not saying they are great to justify my purchase, if they weren't I would change them. Just like I did my exhaust, I had the Flowmasters, ended up hating them and changed them to Corsa Sports.
        The Long tubes added amazing sound to the sports.
        I don't think you will be dissapointed in them.
        David
        Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 AM
        FloydSummerOf68
        Race Director

Can you please do some searching and post a link to anyone who has complained about the quality after purchasing them?

I don't think I've ever seen that come up.
        Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM
        TNTC4VETTE
        Will work for HPDE time.
        Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you please do some searching and post a link to anyone who has complained about the quality after purchasing them?

Shawn, I bitched about them in my giant cluster**** of a thread.

Mine have vibrated against the car, had alignment issues, and I also complained about the crap clamps in the back. Getting gaskets to last in them has been problematic as well, likely coinciding with my perpetual alignment issue.

What I did not complain about was the performance gain. It is legitimate.

OP, two things...I encourage you to search before posting, and this thread will not end well. They never do.
        Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM
        Wayne O
        CF Senior Member
        Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A cheap price isn't always indicative of poor quality but more often than not you get what you pay for. IMO you'd be better-off going with Kook's, American Racing or LGM headers. LG Pro long tube headers (cut by Borla for LGM) are in my opinion the best headers you can get.
        Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM
        FloydSummerOf68
        Race Director

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
        Shawn, I bitched about them in my giant cluster**** of a thread.

Mine have vibrated against the car, had alignment issues, and I also complained about the crap clamps in the back. Getting gaskets to last in them has been problematic as well, likely coinciding with my perpetual alignment issue.

What I did not complain about was the performance gain. It is legitimate.

OP, two things...I encourage you to search before posting, and this thread will not end well. They never do.
        Gaskets and clamps sure...but I've never had a set of headers that I used the gaskets and clamps that it came with. Even very expensive headers on this site come with crappy paper gaskets.

As for alignment issues....was it just that? An alignment issue with the whole setup? If it isn't torqed down properly it will rub in places. There isn't a lot of clearance tolerance.

This is definitely the first time I've read that there was a quality issue with them. I've never seen them do anything other than slip right in without a problem.
        Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 AM
        BigDs_C6
        Burning Brakes

Wow... Really? How about I just show you where the search button is!!!

D
        Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
        TNTC4VETTE
        Will work for HPDE time.
        Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gaskets and clamps sure...but I've never had a set of headers that I used the gaskets and clamps that it came with. Even very expensive headers on this site come with crappy paper gaskets.

As for alignment issues....was it just that? An alignment issue with the whole setup? If it isn't torqed down properly it will rub in places. There isn't a lot of clearance tolerance.

This is definitely the first time I've read that there was a quality issue with them. I've never seen them do anything other than slip right in without a problem.
        I figured I screwed the pooch the first time. It's been to 2 different exhaust shops now trying to get it squared away and fixed. No luck.

They still look great and as I said, performance is not at all an issue. It's these sustaining issues that really get under my skin.

Get notified of new replies

To OBX LT Headers ???

Old 10-20-2011, 11:42 AM
        BigDs_C6
        Burning Brakes

OK... Did some searching for you. Here's a good one to start with. It appears you're defending a product that you're not even using... sounds like you don't even know what's on your car?..

Link <<---

You are right though... Looks like these wouldn't be a bad purchase as long as your good with a welder, grinder and can do some minor fabricating!

D
        Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM
        FloydSummerOf68
        Race Director

Sorry to hear about that TNT...like I said, I've seen dozens of these things and never have seen an issue before.

Wow... Really? How about I just show you where the search button is!!!

D
        You made the claim, so I'd like to see what your basis for making it was. I didn't even disagree with you. I just said I hadn't seen threads about it.

OK... Did some searching for you. Here's a good one to start with. It appears you're defending a product that you're not even using... sounds like you don't even know what's on your car?..

Link <<---

You are right though... Looks like these wouldn't be a bad purchase as long as your good with a welder, grinder and can do some minor fabricating!

D
        You're an idiot.

A. I never said I was using OBX. My headers are less than 1/2 the price of OBX and have not a single issue right now. When I bought them I posted up detailed information about the x-pipe needing to be modified for ~75 bucks to get it to line up straight. So I paid $375 for my longtube/x-pipe setup shipped+x-pipe modification brand new. The headers I bought are no longer sold.

B. You didn't even link to OBX headers. You linked to Mirage headers, which I would never recommend to anyone and you can see in my history of posts that I have recommended against them before. Clearly they're not a good buy. I mean come on, the title of the thread starts with "Mirage Headers....."

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 10-20-2011 at 11:50 AM.
        Old 10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
        Spectrel
        Burning Brakes

Like many others I have spent alot of $$ on aftermarket stuff for my car. I was more than happy with the savings on headers and after 3 years am still very happy with my coated OBX headers. My car is not a garage queen, it sees regular track service and to be honest I'm not sure what else I could throw at it. Very happy with OBX, go for it and don't look back.

EDIT: Mine bolted right up with zero modifications, and I don't personally know anyone that has had issues.

Before install:

Last edited by Spectrel; 10-20-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: OBX LT Headers ???