C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood DNX9980HD or Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Susserman
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood DNX9980HD or Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT

Ok so I just got my 05 vette and I really want to put a nav touch screen in it. I was originally going to stay cheap but after some research I decided to go big or go home. I'm torn between Kenwood's DNX9980HD and Pioneer's AVIC-Z130BT. I would love to hear your opinions and personal experiences. Right now I'm leaning towards Pioneer mainly because of the UI. But I love Kenwood. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Susserman
Navigator

or maybe Alpine INA-W910
Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 PM
NorthTXC6
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Kenwood 9980HD - here's my impressions:

the good: Garmin Nav is outstanding, lots of features and inputs to this deck, great screen, HD and Sirius and Pandora are great, iPod controls are good, incredible sound and great anchor headunit for SQ sound system (Zapco amps, Hybrid Audio componentsArc Audio sub)

the bad: user interface is sloooooooow, system takes about 20-30 secs to boot up, and did I say the system is slow?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Susserman
Navigator

Originally Posted by NorthTXC6

the good: Garmin Nav is outstanding, lots of features and inputs to this deck, great screen, HD and Sirius and Pandora are great, iPod controls are good, incredible sound and great anchor headunit for SQ sound system (Zapco amps, Hybrid Audio componentsArc Audio sub)

the bad: user interface is sloooooooow, system takes about 20-30 secs to boot up, and did I say the system is slow?
I've seen that in a few reviews, about the speed that is, which is why im kind of leaning towards the Pioneer
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you install aftermarket amps and speakers, time alogn everything and eq everything hands down the kenwood is the unit to have. its short comings are minimal.

i hear the pioneer is pretty good, if your not a sound guy and dont know how to set up a system correctly, simply want features and care nothing about getting the best soundstage, eq, time alignment ect. i think the pioneer is the way to go.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 930BT in my P/U and like it so much I'm putting 130BT in the Vettt. I like the features more the anything.

TRR
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthTXC6

The only issue is boot up, the rest are positives as stated above, love my Kenwood
Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 PM
05-H2Omaker
Navigator

I have the Pioneer AVIC in my 05 and have been very happy with it. My neighbor has the Kenwood in his 07 and he has been happy as well. The only thing I would make sure is they hook up the dim control. When I first got it at night time it would not dim down and was very bright.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 560 Likes on 320 Posts

I have the Z130 and like it overall, but specifically I do not think the NAV is very good. The GM NAV was better in my opinion. Not the interfaces but the accuracy. The Pioneer has Steered me wrong on more than one occassion and has also failed to find addresses completely. YMMV.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:49 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a Pioneer Z120, Vibe Amp and Speakers and I love it. The sound is beyond compare, install and set up were easy. I really don't think you can go wrong with either unit.
I would recommmend you pm "c5bearsfan", or go to the audio section he is always there. His name is Dennis and his shop DDMods is the place to purchase which every unit you get, his pre and post sale customer service is "GREAT" and his price is the best you will get anywhere.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE
I have the Z130 and like it overall, but specifically I do not think the NAV is very good. The GM NAV was better in my opinion. Not the interfaces but the accuracy. The Pioneer has Steered me wrong on more than one occassion and has also failed to find addresses completely. YMMV.
My GM Nav (latest Ver disk) could not get me to my house unless I was willing to drive through the woods. It also told me Bank of America was a half mile away while sitting in front of the bank. My new Avic Z130bt does not have this issue. It takes me right to my house and uses actual streets. It also knows when I am in front of the bank. I think all NAV systems screw up depending on where you are and how the software was configured for that area.
I hooked up front and rear cameras. The BT works great. My system does not Dim at night. I believe that is my installers error. It just takes a couple of seconds to adjust manually. Overall, I am much happier with my AVIC than the crap GM NAV.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

I would think twice on the touch screen.

While I have Kenwoods in by C5 and ZR1, my Audi has a **** instead of a touch screen and it works much better on a car with stiffer suspension systems.

I seem to hit the wrong key with the touch screen a lot of the time. Other than that they work great.

Also look into the lifetime subscription for Sirius XM vs monthly rate.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 PM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Z130BT and i love it, the NAV part is 100 times better than the stock GM unit. Honestly, i find it so sad that a C6 Corvette came equipped with such a crappy NAV system from factory. They could at least upgrade the software in them and include a higher resolution screen. Looking at the screen on the stock unit makes me feel im playing an Atari game...

Last edited by NeoZ06; 10-18-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the Pioneer!! I have the x930bt and it is leagues ahead of ANYTHING Kenwood has out on the market. The user interface is fast, the screen is very nice, the menus and buttons are intuitive and the iPod integration and bluetooth is second to none! The best iPod integration Ive ever seen in an aftermarket unit. Very slick.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Here is best breakdown on the units

Kenwood
the Garmin NAV is awesome and so much better than the Pioneer Tele Atlas based NAV
The sound quality is alot better as well vs the Pioneer
The voice activation works better than the 130
you can run 2 camera
you can connect two ipods at once only one for video
pic in pic

I was on a Kenwood trip last week. We had the chance to set down with the big boys form KEnwood and express our input as to what all of you want to see and the things you do like

I said the main problem is the slow operating system. The are aware of this issue and working on changes for firmware for 2012
One of the other concerns is instant powerup for backup cameras. They took note of my comments on how it sucks to wait 20 seconds or so for the unit to fully boot up to have the camera work as it should. So watch for changes on this.

Pioneer

The ipod features are awesome.
The unit itself is faster than the Kenwood.
NAV is ok but not great. Many complaints in errors and it not working correctly
the voice activation is ok but not as good as the 9980
sometimes there is noise issues in the sound quality. This is a known issue with the Pioneers.

Kenwood has 300.00 mail in rebate good till end of the month
Pioneer has a 100.00 main in rebate good till the end of the month

I have had both Kenwood and Pioneer in my personal cars. I like the features of both and you really can not go wrong with either
I simply keep going back to Kenwood as I enjoy the nav and sound quality which is more important to me versus a second or so lag time when changing screens.

I have the 130 units instock and just ordered 30 more 9980 units this afternoon.
This will prob be my last order I get of them before the 300.00 rebates expires

both packages we can prewire as well if needed to make install as easy as we can

Call me as well if you want to talk more about the features

608 568 3011
Dennis
Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

I have the z120 unit and am very pleased with it. Bluetooth is awesome,nav has been spot on, voice recognition is not that bad ( back ground noise...exhaust ) back up camera is excellent. The touch screen is awesome. I think the only minor item would be the dimming feature, very bright at night even when set at lowest level.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood DNX9980HD or Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT

Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by rz2mbc
I have the z120 unit and am very pleased with it. Bluetooth is awesome,nav has been spot on, voice recognition is not that bad ( back ground noise...exhaust ) back up camera is excellent. The touch screen is awesome. I think the only minor item would be the dimming feature, very bright at night even when set at lowest level.

Your not wired correctly
your orange white illumination wire needs to be connected to the gray wire with black stripe on the active handling button
this will solve your dimming features
Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by xcutter
My system does not Dim at night. I believe that is my installers error. It just takes a couple of seconds to adjust manually. Overall, I am much happier with my AVIC than the crap GM NAV.
Originally Posted by rz2mbc
I think the only minor item would be the dimming feature, very bright at night even when set at lowest level.

Like Dennis said Your not wired correctly
your orange white illumination wire needs to be connected to the gray wire with black stripe on the active handling button
this will solve your dimming feature
this is a very simple fix and makes things a lot nicer believe me PM me if you want I have done this twice so I can help.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:48 AM
chevyc6z51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
Your not wired correctly
this will solve your dimming features
good info, do you think pioneer will ever add the sq to their units? and not have you buy extra stuff to get it?

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX9980HD or Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT