C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas gauge on empty..Service fuel system notice on DIC

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:02 AM
lil red vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gas gauge on empty..Service fuel system notice on DIC

Fuel gauge went to empty while driving and the DIC said service fuel system. Knowing I still had fuel I filled up anyway. Still the same problem. I'll take it to the dealer to have it checked out. Anyone know what could be the problem or has anyone had this problem before?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Lots of people have had this problem. Do a search. The most likely cause is you have been buying cheap gas for some time. Buy a bottle of Techron at Wally World to fix the immediate problem and then buy only Top Tier gas as the owner's manual recommends.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:22 AM
lil red vette
Advanced

I've always used 91-93 octane gas and ethanol free gas as much as possible. Local station sell it and only bought gas with ethanol when I was out of town. I've never used any gas lower than 91....

Last edited by lil red vette; 10-16-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

It isn't the octane that causes this problem. It's the additives to keep everything clean pr lack thereof. All gas comes from pretty much the same pipeline. It's what the driver adds to the truck on the way to the delivery that makes all the difference.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

As noted, try a bottle of Techron at your next fill up. It is possible that your fuel sender is contaminated if the additives in your gas have a high sulphor content. If that doesn't work, a trip to the dealer will be in order.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red vette
Fuel gauge went to empty while driving and the DIC said service fuel system. Knowing I still had fuel I filled up anyway. Still the same problem. I'll take it to the dealer to have it checked out. Anyone know what could be the problem or has anyone had this problem before?
You got a vapor lock in the tank because you ran it too low on fuel. You cannot do this with these cars. The fuel pump resides inside the tank. You will have problems if you continue to do that.

Add TopTier gas (93 octane) and a bottle of Lucus Brand treatment. After running a few gallons through it hold the RESET button down (1 minute) on the DIC controls..........if you continue to have the engine light you will have to reset the code. A trip to the dealer will be your best bet, but you can do the poor man's reset if you don't mind reconfiguring all of your saved settings.

Kids! Don't try this at home! Disconnect the battery, wait 15 minutes then reconnect............
Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Check for any codes. A couple years ago after fueling my car from a hard nozzle jerry can (one with a valve so you had to press down on it while furling the car) I temporarily lost my fuel gauge and I got the Service Fuel System warning. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but it's the only thing I can think of. In any event I had code PO463 fuel level sensor circuit high input. In my case the fuel gauge resumed working after a short period and the warning went-away. Just recently (a couple years later) it happened again...my fuel gauge again stopped working and I got a CEL along with the Service Fuel System warning. This time, I had fueled the car using a soft 'Jiggle' syphon hose. The same code was present again but this time my fuel gauge started working again and the CEL/warning disappeared after a few engine restarts.

Check for codes. Besides simply resetting the warning indicator you might try disconnecting the battery and/or clearing the code with your code reader. See if the problem 'corrects' itself after a period of time and several restarts. For whatever reason my problem was temporary. Even if the underlying problem and code were still present the fuel gauge worked and the warnings went away. For all practical purposes the car ran fine. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:20 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

12oz bottle of Techron treats 12 gallons. I did 2 bottles on fill up & let her soak, so to speak. On 2nd day Guage came back & Service warning went off. This was over a year ago.
I use it once a year now & quality gas.
The following users liked this post:
vettelover8306 (04-25-2019)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:24 PM
billdog
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel sending units!! Hope you are still under warranty.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 AM
lil red vette
Advanced

Thanks for all the suggestions...I have never ran the car low on fuel. Always use 91-93 octane gas and fill up locally at a station that has non-ethanol gas. I was on a car club drive and filled up at a station on the drive. If I got "bad" gas it was there. Put a bottle of Techron in yesterday and took drive for about 30-40 mile drive. Problem still there. Added a second bottle this morning and will take a longer drive today. If that doesn't correct it I'll try disconnecting the battery trick. Had owned a '07 since '07 and never had this problem with it. Will keep trying "home" fix and if it doesn't work will take it to the dealer. Thanks again for all the suggestions and I'll post what ever works for me when the problem is resolved....
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

I had the same problem on my 05 last year and the dealer did some sort of computer reprogram for the problem. I have not had the warning since.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 10-17-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

lil red vette,
I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having. If the problem continues after you take your car for another longer drive, I'd HIGHLY suggest going to the dealership. I'll be happy to setup an appointment for you at your dealership if you'd like.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Old 10-17-2011, 01:46 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions...I have never ran the car low on fuel. Always use 91-93 octane gas and fill up locally at a station that has non-ethanol gas. I was on a car club drive and filled up at a station on the drive. If I got "bad" gas it was there. Put a bottle of Techron in yesterday and took drive for about 30-40 mile drive. Problem still there. Added a second bottle this morning and will take a longer drive today. If that doesn't correct it I'll try disconnecting the battery trick. Had owned a '07 since '07 and never had this problem with it. Will keep trying "home" fix and if it doesn't work will take it to the dealer. Thanks again for all the suggestions and I'll post what ever works for me when the problem is resolved....
As others have mentioned, it's not the octane or ethanol content that causes this. Top tier gas companies have added cleaners in their gas. If you're not using Chevron or Shell, or other fuel with cleaners, contaminated can build up over time. Which local station are you using?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 PM
lil red vette
Advanced

Cleared up the gas gauge on empty/DIS warnings. Had put in two bottles of Techron and driven it with no luck. Took the negative cable off the battery for 15 minutes and gas gauge works!!! All the DIS options were unchanged. The only thing I had to do is put the seat memory back in, index the windows, and set the clock....
For those who have this problem, try the battery trick before taking it to the dealer.....
Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
You got a vapor lock in the tank because you ran it too low on fuel. You cannot do this with these cars. The fuel pump resides inside the tank. You will have problems if you continue to do that.

Add TopTier gas (93 octane) and a bottle of Lucus Brand treatment. After running a few gallons through it hold the RESET button down (1 minute) on the DIC controls..........if you continue to have the engine light you will have to reset the code. A trip to the dealer will be your best bet, but you can do the poor man's reset if you don't mind reconfiguring all of your saved settings.

Kids! Don't try this at home! Disconnect the battery, wait 15 minutes then reconnect............
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the problem twice in my 07 Z51 A6. After I got the code I filled up with Shell V-Power and some Lucas, then I drove to Corvettes of Houston to have it reset. So far so good.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
reason_one
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the problem about a month ago, brought to dealer and they told me there were two possible solutions (no pun intended)... one was a a GM bottle of additive which would hopefully fix the problem, the other was a very costly repair which involved taking out the gas tank. Well a month went by and the problem came back. I'd like to try some more of the suggested fixes mentioned here, but is there any chance of me getting stuck?

thanks

Get notified of new replies

To gas gauge on empty..Service fuel system notice on DIC

Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by reason_one
I had the problem about a month ago, brought to dealer and they told me there were two possible solutions (no pun intended)... one was a a GM bottle of additive which would hopefully fix the problem, the other was a very costly repair which involved taking out the gas tank. Well a month went by and the problem came back. I'd like to try some more of the suggested fixes mentioned here, but is there any chance of me getting stuck?

thanks
Try using a bottle of Techron or the GM Fuel System Treatment (probably the same thing) with each tank of gas, for the next 2 tanks.

Then, another bottle of treatment every 5,000 miles or once a year.

Switch your brand of gas, but be sure to buy from the Top Tier Gas list (Google).

No guarantees, but will save you well over a thousand dollars if it works.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Try using a bottle of Techron or the GM Fuel System Treatment (probably the same thing) with each tank of gas, for the next 2 tanks.

Then, another bottle of treatment every 5,000 miles or once a year.

Switch your brand of gas, but be sure to buy from the Top Tier Gas list (Google).

No guarantees, but will save you well over a thousand dollars if it works.
I've used nothing other than Chevron or Shell gas, except during the 2009 NCC.

Techron didn't work for me, even after 2 months of trying. In my case, the gauge didn't work between just filled (it would start to work about 30 to 40 mile after until about half full, then it would die again)

Ended up replacing BOTH sending units (seemed to make sense since we were "in there" anyway). Fortunately, I had GMPP so it only cost me $100.

(as the bill came to over 2 grand, my GMPP just paid for itself )
Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Yeah, sometimes the Techron thing works and some times it doesn't.
But at that pice, certainly worth trying.

BTW, we also have the GMPP and (unfortunately) expect to get good use from it, just different isssues.

Quick Reply: gas gauge on empty..Service fuel system notice on DIC