C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make sure your e-brake is engaged....ZR1 is wrecked

Old 10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Make sure your e-brake is engaged....ZR1 is wrecked

Well, as much as I hate to post this, it happened. I got home from the bay yesterday and backed the car under the carport. Please keep in mind that we have a steep driveway (pics below). I pulled the e-brake handle but for some reason I did not put the car in reverse, which is usually my practice. I unloaded a couple of things in the front and left the drivers door open so I could move it down to my garage. I then started to unload the rear hatch area. I leaned in and I guess what weight I put on the rear made the car start to roll.

I ran around to try to shut the door but it still grazed the stone column. I was able to get the door open and while running try to stop the car. I got my right leg into the car but it had gained entirely too much speed. I was pulled out and down and drug about 20' on the driveway. The rear wheel hit my left leg (I really thought it may have run over me). I bet the car was going 40 MPH by the time it got to the bottom of the driveway.

I was afraid it was going to hit the barn and bring down the walls and everything else around it. It went directly into our trailer and hit the tongue and front of the trailer. It hit the trailer so hard that it moved the front over and swung the rear into the barn door jam and actually tore the door off the tracks.

I laid there 20 or so minutes waiting for Johnny to get home. Once he got home, we tried to get me up and my right leg had a shooting pain and down I went. He called an ambulance. So 30 more minutes laying in the driveway and I finally was transported. No broken bones but a major road rash and huge bruise where the tire hit me - all my left leg. Pulled hamstring on the right leg. Bump on head and cuts on fingers and elbow.

I had just had some DSV stuff installed and it looks so good. The car is bad but not as bad as I thought. Evidently the noise I heard as I watched it go down the driveway in slow motion was the trailer hitting the barn.

The pics of the drive show you where it started under the carport and where it ended up at the barn. BE AWARE! Pics of my leg are included. I'm in an immobile brace for 2 weeks 24/7 and then 1/2 days until I feel ok.

When Johnny moved the car back up the driveway for the flatbed to come get it this morning, he said the e-brake was engaged. That made me feel better but I evidently didn't pull it up far enough for it to fully engage. Please be careful when setting these brakes. I've heard others that have had the same issue. I'm lucky noone was in front of the car, like a child or pet. It's quite disturbing but I couldve been hurt much worse and both me and the car will be ok.

Enjoy the view guys.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh man, that sucks! I hope the leg heals up quickly, and I'm glad the injuries weren't worse. Damage to the property (Vette included) can always be repaired.

The parking brake on the Vettes really sucks. Unless it's fully engaged (very last click), mine won't hold on a slight incline. Whenever it's parked, I always have mine in gear.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Oh my , I never use my parking brake, maybe I should start. I am so sorry, this is not good, thankfully you will heal and so will the car, but that really does not help right now does it?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:03 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 791 Likes on 383 Posts

Hope you recover fully, the car/property can be fixed. Same thing happened to a friend, except he was chasing his ex-wife and tried to step out the car before it fully stopped. Tore his knee up pretty badly, he walks with a limp 15 years later.

Be well!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not my favorite car? At least you're ok and the damage doesn't look too bad.. You take care of yourself and I'm sure your car will be good as new when the dust settles.
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ouch...damn! terrible thing to happen man. Glad you and the car will b ok... fix looks min. on the car. be careful with the pulled hamstring.. thats nothing to mess with!
csnow
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Your lucky you werent hurt worse, but I would have done and actually did the same thing. I had that happen in my grandfather's pickup truck when I was 10. Slammed the tailgate and it started rolling. Although that was 30 years ago, I will never forget that truck rolling backwards down the driveway. I was able to get in and stop it. I hadnt done anything wrong to make it start rolling, but I was afraid of getting into trouble none the less.

Damage doesnt look too bad. Looks like the passenger fender cracked at the headlight, but the body shop can fix that. sure if your gonna try to fix it yourself vs going through your insurance, but I just got a Z06/ZR1 bumper for $500 shipped on that big auction site. Not sure how much a ZR1 splitter or headlight is.
RtotheDizzy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really too bad. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Wow, I'm glad you did not end up under your car. The e-brake on Corvettes was always notoriously bad, I remember my C5 going down the driveway when I just stopped to get something out of the mailbox. Luckily I was able to stop it.

And it looks like the clear bra did not help either

Last edited by andy82; 10-11-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow....could have been a whole lot worse. Thanks for standing up and posting this. I don't know that I would have. You may have saved another one of us from doing the same thing.
Good thing Johnny got there!! Who's Johnny?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Glad you are here able to post !! I wish to thank you for posting this as I know it's a hard and kind of embarrassing. We all can learn lessons from each other.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
ouch...damn! terrible thing to happen man. Glad you and the car will b ok... fix looks min. on the car. be careful with the pulled hamstring.. thats nothing to mess with!
He's a SHE Wolf.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Dennis08
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Get well..........
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

[QUOTE=WAwatchnut;1578934179]Oh man, that sucks! I hope the leg heals up quickly, and I'm glad the injuries weren't worse. Damage to the property (Vette included) can always be repaired.

The parking brake on the Vettes really sucks. Unless it's fully engaged (very last click), mine won't hold on a slight incline. Whenever it's parked, I always have mine in gear.[/QUOTE

oh my goodness! Lisa, I do hope you're ok. I know that driveway.

and yes, like Joe said above and you reinforced (sadly I might add), the parking brake doesn't hold until the last click (and then it's a bear to release). Sunday, I was in a parking lot and raised it with the motor running in neutral. had I not been watching it would have gone right into the front of the car 2 ft. away. it just rolled!

I hope you recover soon and do take it easy. I think that was a brave and dangerous thing to try and swing into the car and try to stop it. thank goodness it basically tossed you out and away from run over.

get well soon!
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Man, that sucks.

Very glad that it didn't end up worse though, for you and the car.

Here's hoping you have a speedy and full recovery.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:22 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

That really sucks. On the bright side, it could have been much worse on the car or yourself. Or imagine a kid in the way of the runaway.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Crankshaft
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Glad you are OK, could have been much worse.
Looks like damage to the ZR1 was isolated to the nose area and should be easy
to repair to like new status.
If you need anything , just let us know as the SCCC enjoyed your company this past Saturday.

Get notified of new replies

To Make sure your e-brake is engaged....ZR1 is wrecked

Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM
tonyasc6
Drifting

Lisa, I'm very sorry this has happened. Reading your post put chills all over my body... remember, the car can be fixed.. take care of yourself & get well soon! Tonya
Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow. You are one lucky lady. It could have been much worse. Get well soon and let us know how the healing and repairs go.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Oh man, that sucks! I hope the leg heals up quickly, and I'm glad the injuries weren't worse. Damage to the property (Vette included) can always be repaired.

The parking brake on the Vettes really sucks. Unless it's fully engaged (very last click), mine won't hold on a slight incline. Whenever it's parked, I always have mine in gear.
I wish the OP a fast recovery!

Not trying to thread-jack but I think a little more on this topic could save someone else! I am pretty sure I personally don't FULLY engage the Parking Brake when on hills etc. Is the above a true, proven statement?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Make sure your e-brake is engaged....ZR1 is wrecked