C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

bogus ash tray (MERGED)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

What is the reason for GMPP not covering it?

It's a functioning (well, supposed to function) piece of equipment, not a piece of glued-on trim.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

It's a functioning (well, supposed to function) piece of equipment, not a piece of glued-on trim.
This website shows covered and non-covered parts.
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/wa...jor-guard.html
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by xcutter
Should be covered, I would question dealer why not.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

The only thing they might be able to claim is that the "hinge" on the ash tray door is the problem, that would indeed be excluded. Otherwise, I think somebody is BSing you.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The only thing they might be able to claim is that the "hinge" on the ash tray door is the problem, that would indeed be excluded. Otherwise, I think somebody is BSing you.
Unless OP doesn't have Major Guard........
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ash tray

If you never use it how can it break? This is my second c6 about 80,000 miles on both together and haven't had a problem....I'm just curious how it keeps breaking that's all.....
Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by azc62006
If you never use it how can it break? This is my second c6 about 80,000 miles on both together and haven't had a problem....I'm just curious how it keeps breaking that's all.....
Speaking only for myself, I don't smoke or use the ash tray; but open the little door whenever I plug in my battery maintainer.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Katherinejjm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to remove the entire console bezel and then replace the whole ashtray assembly.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Unless OP doesn't have Major Guard........
I have Major Guard bought from Dennis Fitchner
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by azc62006
I didn't say it keeps breaking. I said it broke on my 2005 and 5 years later broke on my 2008. I opened it to plug in my air compressor to fill my tires. I closed it and it would not catch. I do not believe that the amount of miles has anything to do with it breaking. Just $hit luck. Do a search. This is a common issue.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMPP only covers things that do not break.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I have Major Guard bought from Dennis Fitchner
I also have major guard and from what I read and understand, it should be covered. Try to get them to explain why it isn't and let us know please.....
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by PittMD1
GMPP only covers things that do not break.
We "made money" with the GMPP on our 2001 and then our 2006.
Last week, they paid out $$$ for a new driver seat adjustor, memory module, and seatbelt pre-tensioner.

GMPP certainly does not cover everything, but they a lot.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

What I'd do is to remove that door as explained above, buy the new assembly, remove the door from the new assembly, and reinstall. Great to know this can be done without removing the freaking console .

I only open that door to charge the battery with the CTEK, but have been using the BT+ lately. Now that I know that stupid door can crap out, will use the CTEK even less. The center console 12V receptacle is switched, so only the lighter one works with the ignition off.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
What I'd do is to remove that door as explained above, buy the new assembly, remove the door from the new assembly, and reinstall. Great to know this can be done without removing the freaking console .

I only open that door to charge the battery with the CTEK, but have been using the BT+ lately. Now that I know that stupid door can crap out, will use the CTEK even less. The center console 12V receptacle is switched, so only the lighter one works with the ignition off.
I took my console apart. I just bought some JB Weld and plan to fix this thing permanently. I can buy another one for $75, but there is no guaranty it won't happen again.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
This may not be the ultimate ashtray door design, nor is implemented with a high degree of quality.

However, we mustn't forget the absolute genius of the overall design of the C6: very low weight, 50/50 weight distribution, ultra low drag coefficient, loads of naturally aspirated horsepower and neck snapping torque, incredibly impressive MPG considering, ultra quiet, smooth, refined ride, killer handling, extreme comfort, I could go on and on.

The C6 is an all-purpose street car that you could drive to work each day or drive cross-country in great comfort, yet take to a track and spank the greater percentage of other expensive, respected high performance cars from all over the world.

And in my opinion, the C6 is one of the best looking cars ever made (except for maybe the C2 Corvette).

The C6 is quite an impressive package overall. And, in most cases, a C6 coupe is maybe 75% or 50% of the cost of other high performance cars that come anywhere close to matching the C6's overall combined abilities.

The point is, yes, the C6 has a few cheap, less than ideal designs / implementations (like the ashtray door), but I'm not thinking about the ashtray door while I'm passing a $100k Porsche on a twisty mountain road in my $50k C6 coupe, and then afterward getting 30 mpg on the hwy with my 400 horse, 6.0 liter V8 while riding in living room comfort in a car that is drop dead gorgeous.

I accept the minor "deficiencies" of the C6 as a trade for an absolute top-notch, ultra high performance car that does it all, and does it all WELL, at half the cost of much of the competition.

It'll probably take me about 30 minutes total to fix my ashtray door (minus epoxy dry time), a very small price to pay considering all. The ashtray door held up just fine for the first 5 years anyway. I can live with that. No need to kill the bean counters.

Excellent!!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It's amazing that after the full run of the C6 that this has never been addressed.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Tough crowd! Good Lord I can't believe all the griping and put-downs over a small, inexpensive and easily fixible ash tray door. I understand little frustrations but it ain't that big o' deal. Remember, a Corvette is just a Chevy. Enjoy your wonderful Corvettes and don't sweat the little stuff.

Quick Reply: bogus ash tray (MERGED)