C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passive Automatic Un-Lock Clarification / Alarm arming

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passive Automatic Un-Lock Clarification / Alarm arming

I read the manual section 2-2...2-8 LOCKS, and Personalization 5-55

I have my personal settings set to:

-Passive Door Lock (Off)
-Flash at lock (On)
-Flash at unlock (Off)

When I leave vehicle I press the lock logo on fob twice (horn and lights flash) and I assume doors are locked/alarm is armed.

When I approach the vehicle later, the doors are always "unlocked", regardless of if I push the "un-lock" logo on fob.

With my Ford, you have to press "un-lock" logo on fob to enter. Here in NYC, being within 100ft of your car, can mean not seeing it or being occupied (in store, lobby, parking garage, etc). Don't want my doors "open" just b/c I have approached or am walking away.

Is there a separate process to arm alarm besides pressing Lock logo twice?

Thx
Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

1. No need to press the unlock button twice. No need to press the lock button trice.

2, When you approached the car that you locked with the lock button, it was probably locked. Once you pull on the door handle and you have the fob with you, it unlocks the car automatically. There's no way to void this. However, you do have to have the fob within inches of the door before pulling on the door handle to unlock it. And the doors didn't unlock until you pulled on the handle.

Try this. Get out of the car and close the door, then press the lock button once. Leave the area and take the fob about 20 feet away and leave it. Now go back to the car and try to open the door. I think you'll find the car is locked.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-01-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Jim is right. The fob must be within a few feet of the outside of the door in order for the car to unlock when you squeeze the door pad...not a hundred feet. If you can safely leave the fob 25 feet away from the car,( being in NYC) and then go over and try to open the door, you will see that it is locked. I might add that when you are getting out of the car, you can just push the lock button on the door rather than digging around in your pocket for the fob. If you want to confirm that the car is going to lock, you can just glance at the dash and see the lock icon turn on when you hit the button on the door. The system is designed so that in normal situations you never need to push any of the buttons on the fob...it can sit quietly in your pocket until you take it out at home.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Nuther 1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The book says the door will unlock when the fob is within 3 feet of the car. That way you don't need to take the fob from your purse or pocket to enter the car. But always, if you are in a public parking lot, be careful in that case that you aren't being followed to the car (particularly if you're like me and park your "baby" in the back 40 to avoid other people parking next to you).
Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Nuther 1
The book says the door will unlock when the fob is within 3 feet of the car.
However, the car will not automatically unlock when you get within 3 feet of the car with the fob. You must pull on the door handle before the car will unlock.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM
frankiegrey
3rd Gear

Default Passive door lock and unlock

I am new to the Corvette world and I am having problems unlocking the car when I approach the car in my Garage it will take me several attempts to get the door to open. I have removed all my wireless keys from the car vicinity,to prevent the corvette computer from picking up a false signal.
I have two other cars which have electonic fobs and i do not see this problem trying to unlock them. Can the Corvette be programed to be open and closed using the fob only? as it is now, the car locks automatically when I leave it. I am concerned that I will drive it and not be able to open the car without getting into the trunk.
I have taken the car to the dealership and they are telling me it is a dead battery in the FOB ,I have only had the car 6 weeks it is a 2008 LS3 with 24000miles on it, any help would be appreciated
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 287 Likes on 127 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by frankiegrey
I am new to the Corvette world and I am having problems unlocking the car when I approach the car in my Garage it will take me several attempts to get the door to open. I have removed all my wireless keys from the car vicinity,to prevent the corvette computer from picking up a false signal.
I have two other cars which have electonic fobs and i do not see this problem trying to unlock them. Can the Corvette be programed to be open and closed using the fob only? as it is now, the car locks automatically when I leave it. I am concerned that I will drive it and not be able to open the car without getting into the trunk.
I have taken the car to the dealership and they are telling me it is a dead battery in the FOB ,I have only had the car 6 weeks it is a 2008 LS3 with 24000miles on it, any help would be appreciated

Replace the fob battery
Old 08-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

After you get a new fob battery, and if you still have a problem, determine if it only happens in your garage.

Some wireless garage door openers/security systems will interfere with the C6.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
...I have my personal settings set to:

-Passive Door Lock (Off)
-Flash at lock (On)
-Flash at unlock (Off)
Turn this on any you may never have to touch a button on your FOB again. The car will automatically "lock" a few seconds after you close the door and "unlock" when you try to open the door with the FOB within 3 feet of the door.

The terms lock and unlock don't really apply to a system with a computer controlling power to the door latch solenoids. It should really be authorize and deny. The car is locked if the computer denies power to the solenoid and unlocked if you are authorized and power is applied. The determination of being authorized or not is done AFTER you try to open the door. If the doors are "locked" in the normal sense then you press the pad and the computer looks for a recognized FOB nearby. If it finds one it sends power to the latch and if it doesn't then it doesn't. If the doors are "unlocked" then the FOB search is skipped and the computer applies power whenever the pad is pressed.

Passive locking just tells the computer to go into the FOB required for power mode a few seconds after the FOB has left the car. It means the car will always "lock" when you exit so that you don't have to press any buttons on the door or on the FOB. You carry the FOB in your pocket and the doors "lock" when you leave and are "unlocked" when you return. Leave the FOB 10 feet away and the doors are "locked".

The alarm is always set if the doors are "locked" unless the lock button on the door is pressed AFTER the doors have been closed and before the 30 second timer to arm the system has expired.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimTN
1. No need to press the unlock button twice. No need to press the lock button trice.

2, When you approached the car that you locked with the lock button, it was probably locked. Once you pull on the door handle and you have the fob with you, it unlocks the car automatically. There's no way to void this. However, you do have to have the fob within inches of the door before pulling on the door handle to unlock it. And the doors didn't unlock until you pulled on the handle.

Try this. Get out of the car and close the door, then press the lock button once. Leave the area and take the fob about 20 feet away and leave it. Now go back to the car and try to open the door. I think you'll find the car is locked.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM
frankiegrey
3rd Gear

Default passive door opening

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
After you get a new fob battery, and if you still have a problem, determine if it only happens in your garage.

Some wireless garage door openers/security systems will interfere with the C6.
do you know specifically; what brand of garage door opener will affect the computer in the corvette, thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by frankiegrey
do you know specifically; what brand of garage door opener will affect the computer in the corvette, thanks
If you google 315MHz (the frequency the fob transmits on) you will find all kinds of devices/systems that use this frequency.

As I recall, Marantec (sp?) and Chamberlain were two of them.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:03 PM
frankiegrey
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
If you google 315MHz (the frequency the fob transmits on) you will find all kinds of devices/systems that use this frequency.

As I recall, Marantec (sp?) and Chamberlain were two of them.

Thanks very much for the info it is appreciated

Get notified of new replies

To Passive Automatic Un-Lock Clarification / Alarm arming

Quick Reply: Passive Automatic Un-Lock Clarification / Alarm arming