C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 steering wheel trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 AM
debo2k3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2012 steering wheel trim removal

Search but did not get any results. I am just wondering if anyone has tried to remove the trim pieces (spoke caps) as well as the back cover.
Any helps would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Old 09-24-2011, 03:38 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think its the same as the older wheel. You will have to remove the airbag to get to the spokes.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:51 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I was wondering the same thing....I would like to cover the metal on the sides of the wheel with carbon fiber tape. I did the door button trim and the top of the auto shifter with the tape and it looks really good. It matches the rest of the carbon fiber on the bezel really well.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 PM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

should be 2 small holes on the back side of the airbag module. just use a punch or screwdriver in each hole to remove the airbag
Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

You have to remove the airbag, then the spokes are held on with a single screw on each. I did this on Thursday, to put my new steering wheel and gauge covers on:

1) Disconnect the positive battery clamp.

2) Take a thin but long screw driver and insert into each of the lower holes on the back side of the wheel, feel around in there for a springy steel bar, press it and pull up on that side of the airbag, it will come out a bit on that one side so stick something soft and firm in the space, then when you do the other side the airbag will pop out. Be gentle with it and no need to disconnect.

3) Unscrew the one screw, pull out the spoke and if it has controls undo the plug. Viola ...
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2011, 12:46 AM
debo2k3
Advanced

Thrash,

You probably talked about the 2011 and older wheel. That's easy to remove those spoke caps as well as the back cover. I have a new style 2012 wheel and has not installed to the car yet. I've removed 2 screws on the back to try to remove the plastic back cover, but looks like it stucked. I also don't see any screws for the spoke caps, I am afraid to break something so I just wanted to know if anyone has done removing them and show me.
Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
debo2k3
Advanced

Anyone knows?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Thrash
You have to remove the airbag, then the spokes are held on with a single screw on each. I did this on Thursday, to put my new steering wheel and gauge covers on:

1) Disconnect the positive battery clamp.

2) Take a thin but long screw driver and insert into each of the lower holes on the back side of the wheel, feel around in there for a springy steel bar, press it and pull up on that side of the airbag, it will come out a bit on that one side so stick something soft and firm in the space, then when you do the other side the airbag will pop out. Be gentle with it and no need to disconnect.

3) Unscrew the one screw, pull out the spoke and if it has controls undo the plug. Viola ...
Just a couple of points.

1) You should always disconnect the negative terminal of the battery first and connect it last if taking both off such as replacing the battery. If you are just disablling power to the vehicle, negative is what you want to remove.

2) You should never do any work around the Corvette supplemental restraint system (airbags) without taking out the SIR fuse in the passenger footwell fuse panel. The SDM contains a capacitve discharge system designed to power the airbag deployment in the event of a catastrophic power loss during an accident. This system will be able to deploy the airbag without the battery attached. Also, by removing the fuse you will greatly reduce the opportunity for static electricity to act upon the airbag circuit during the act of disconnecting the terminals.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '14

Originally Posted by talon90
Just a couple of points.

1) You should always disconnect the negative terminal of the battery first and connect it last if taking both off such as replacing the battery. If you are just disablling power to the vehicle, negative is what you want to remove.

2) You should never do any work around the Corvette supplemental restraint system (airbags) without taking out the SIR fuse in the passenger footwell fuse panel. The SDM contains a capacitve discharge system designed to power the airbag deployment in the event of a catastrophic power loss during an accident. This system will be able to deploy the airbag without the battery attached. Also, by removing the fuse you will greatly reduce the opportunity for static electricity to act upon the airbag circuit during the act of disconnecting the terminals.

Hey Paul:
WHen are you going to replace your steering Wheel?

Frank
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Trout-44

Hey Paul:
WHen are you going to replace your steering Wheel?

Frank
Hey Frank,

Well, I all ready have an aftermarket sport wheel from DSV. I have a bigger problem, I have a 2005. This wheel is not a diret drop in for me. I will have to replace the steering wheel, airbag and clockspring assembly so it is not likely to happen for me. I'll be replacing the steering wheel when I finally decide that I can have a new Corvette.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Just a couple of points.

Hey Frank,

Well, I all ready have an aftermarket sport wheel from DSV. I have a bigger problem, I have a 2005. This wheel is not a diret drop in for me. I will have to replace the steering wheel, airbag and clockspring assembly so it is not likely to happen for me. I'll be replacing the steering wheel when I finally decide that I can have a new Corvette.

Paul:
Just a list of minor problems for you...By the way did you get the picture or did I forget to send it?
Frank
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
0PartsTaxi.com
Former Vendor

Just a couple of points.

Absolutely correct to remove the fuse. GM field engineer once told me that they also prefer to wait 15-20 minutes after battery disconnect and fuse removal to begin working on the SIR system.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by PartsTaxi.com
Absolutely correct to remove the fuse. GM field engineer once told me that they also prefer to wait 15-20 minutes after battery disconnect and fuse removal to begin working on the SIR system.
In my past life I worked on airbag systems. 15 to 20 minutes is very conservative. The system on the Corvette shouldn't hold a charge for more than 3 minutes but better safe than sorry.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Trout-44
Paul:
Just a list of minor problems for you...By the way did you get the picture or did I forget to send it?
Frank
Didn't get it Frank. I was out of town for 10 days and haven't checked my spam filter yet this week so it could be trapped.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Didn't get it Frank. I was out of town for 10 days and haven't checked my spam filter yet this week so it could be trapped.
Paul

Will send next week when I get back from Texas....Will send in mail to NCM to your attention

Frank
Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 PM
0PartsTaxi.com
Former Vendor

In my past life I worked on airbag systems. 15 to 20 minutes is very conservative. The system on the Corvette shouldn't hold a charge for more than 3 minutes but better safe than sorry.
I agree, that is conservative, but you would have to know this engineer to understand. I've seen him take 3 days straight to do a 2 hour repair LOL
Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by PartsTaxi.com
I agree, that is conservative, but you would have to know this engineer to understand. I've seen him take 3 days straight to do a 2 hour repair LOL
That's funny Kevin.

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 steering wheel trim removal

Quick Reply: 2012 steering wheel trim removal