C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in intake manifold? Covered?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Archias
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in intake manifold? Covered?

I recently purchased a used 2008 Corvette and now, after a few months now its given me a check engine light tonight. I did remote diagnosis via Onstar and they said their is a lean fuel/air mixture likely caused by oil in the intake manifold.

Ive done a bit of searching, and most of what Ive found has to do with "catch cans" as a means of preventing this. I'll look into in it for the future. I dont drive the car hard (...much) so I am not sure if thats a good solution. I understand its not a big issue if fixed promptly.

But thing is, I am VERY strapped for time for the next week atleast, then i leave for a month. Which means taking to a dealer. Im none to fond my local dealer, Service dept seems okay, but their new car prices are outrageous and some very pushy salespeople.

I purchased through Carmax.

But how much am I looking at for a quick fix? Is this something that would be covered in powertrain warranty? (B2B expired). Remodeling some rooms this week and want to know if this something i can take care of now, or should just roll the car into storage and deal with next time, when I have more time?

PS - Also my tire pressure warning keeps coming on despite adequately filled tires
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

probably get better response in the tech/performance section, but.....

I'm not sure how the Onstar people could have any clue what is causing the lean mixture code. I've never heard of oil in the intake causing that problem, either. Usually that would be caused by an un-metered air leak (vacuum leak) or a problem with the mass air flow sensor.

Is the car modified at all? An aftermarket air intake can mess with the fuel trims.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Not buying it for a second. Onstar doesn't diagnose, they only state what the code is reading.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Archias
I recently purchased a used 2008 Corvette and now, after a few months now its given me a check engine light tonight. I did remote diagnosis via Onstar and they said their is a lean fuel/air mixture likely caused by oil in the intake manifold.

Ive done a bit of searching, and most of what Ive found has to do with "catch cans" as a means of preventing this. I'll look into in it for the future. I dont drive the car hard (...much) so I am not sure if thats a good solution. I understand its not a big issue if fixed promptly.

But thing is, I am VERY strapped for time for the next week atleast, then i leave for a month. Which means taking to a dealer. Im none to fond my local dealer, Service dept seems okay, but their new car prices are outrageous and some very pushy salespeople.

I purchased through Carmax.

But how much am I looking at for a quick fix? Is this something that would be covered in powertrain warranty? (B2B expired). Remodeling some rooms this week and want to know if this something i can take care of now, or should just roll the car into storage and deal with next time, when I have more time?

PS - Also my tire pressure warning keeps coming on despite adequately filled tires
Did the folks at On Star give you the diagnostic code? Can't do much without a code.

Depending on what is causing the code it might be covered under the powertrain warranty.

What do you mean the warning comes on? Does it indicate a low tire pressure or does it say Service TPMS??

It helps if you can provide the exact wording of the message.

Bill
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm not buying it either....
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Racer
Not buying it for a second. Onstar doesn't diagnose, they only state what the code is reading.
... and where you were all day! They are looking at you right now!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Thrash
... and where you were all day! They are looking at you right now!
I better put my pants on!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Onstar doesn't give diagnostics.

Oil in the intake doesn't cause a lean condition.

Newbie.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil in intake manifold? Covered?

Quick Reply: Oil in intake manifold? Covered?