C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally chased down an annoying gremlin!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Sam for resuscitating an old thread! Well worth it and useful for us to better understand how these things are put together....
And belated hats off to the OP for figuring this out.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Toppdon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM Connectors

I am having the exact same issue on a car I just bought. It would not start and I keep getting the "Service Charging System" on DIC. I wiggled the 1st big blue connector on BCM and the car started right up. After the next start it gave all the same Service engine, fuel ssytem, abs, traction system etc... I am willing to bet its a connector issue. Battery is 2 months old according to dealer. I will replace as a precaution. Quick question, do you have to unplug the battery (both terminals) to unplug the BCM connectors and not create any other issues?

Please help!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

I tip my hat to you for a great job of sleuthing !! Hopefully, others will find this post helpful.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 PM
stew1100
Instructor

I just make sure I unplug the positive side of the battery any time I mess with the BCMs or ECM just to be safe.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Great job finding the problem.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 AM
DougU4
Heel & Toe

Default Just wanted to Thank You for saving me a lot of grief!

Hello StrokedOutVette,

By mistake, I wrote a long thank you note to MattNelson819 for finding the "cure" to my car's ailments. I had forgotten that RicK T and VET4LES had put up links to your thread here and that YOU were the actual solver of this problem. Just so you know that what I wrote to Matt actually was for you, here is the post. I would reword it but I don't think you will mind, the important thing is to thank everyone involved in leading me to the solution. (I am taking the liberty of changing Matt's name to yours as you are the one with the answer!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,

I am one of those members that often finds useful information posted in the C6 forums but never takes the time to type a "thank you". However, considering all the hassle StrokedOutVette saved me, I feel obligated to reply to his well documented post.

The "gremlin(s)" he describes first occurred with my C6 about two years ago on a long trip with my wife. I finally unplugged the DashDaq II from the OBD port and everything cleared up. I even ordered a new cable for my DashDaq thinking it must be causing the problem.

This summer the gremlins came back in all their glory. My C6 is a 2007 and in 2008 I took it to Lingenfelter and had them install one of their supercharger packages along with Corsa Racing exhaust, custom hood, and some other goodies. Having dealt with the snobbery and rudeness at my local Chevy dealership, I figured I would have to write Tim at Lingenfelter and get his advice on what to do. I certainly didn't want the local dealership messing with the computer and felt fairly certain they would blame the barrage of gremlins on the aftermarket tune, parts, et cetera.

Luckily I was curious enough to first try and research these weird happenings on my own. Considering all the Service Soon messages and dead gauges, I didn't have much hope, but, I endeavored to at least give it a try. The car was setting dead in the garage after installing a new battery and having the gremlins come back a couple of days later.

I started doing Google searches trying every combination of keywords I could think of and searched in vain for quite a while. I know that it is often hard to come up with the magic set of keywords (in the correct order) to find what one is looking for, especially when I wasn't exactly sure how to list all the "failures" I had experienced. I had a couple of serious operations and was finally getting enough "oomph" back to look into the situation. I had quite a long "to do" list from two months of painful recovery and figured I could handle what I presumed would be a futile computer search. I couldn't believe it when I somehow found typed a combination of words that put Matt's post at the top of the Google search page. As noted above, a cited reply led me here.

Lo' and behold, the link to Stroked's post described every single problem I was encountering. I couldn't believe it, my car was duplicating the exact same things as Matt's. And better yet, this man had endured the nightmare and had found a CURE!!

I used the emergency door latch in the trunk and followed StrokedOutVette's procedure. All in all it might have taken 15 minutes. But if I had not stumbled across his post, finding another person locally that might intuit the problem was highly unlikely and I am sure I would have spent umpteen hours with phone calls, hauling the car from place to place, spending a heck of a lot of money, and might still never have the problem fixed correctly.

I didn't change out the battery again and due to the pain I was in, did not even unhook it before applying the suggested "fix". I know this was unwise considering all the electrical ramifications that could have occurred, but it was all I could do to get on my knees and perform the "fix".

The interior lights came on immediately and with cautious reservation, I got in the driver's side and pushed the ignition switch. It started instantly and the gauges worked along with the AC. The only thing else I did was to clear a couple of codes that were still there, I felt confident they were simply "gremlin residue". I have driven the car several hundred miles without a single glitch since then.

So StrokedOutVette, I just had to write you and tell you from one C6 owner to another that your post saved me what most likely would have been a heck of a lot of grief. I am sorry you had to suffer all you did until finally coming up with a solution but am ever so grateful to you for taking the time to describe the problem in exacting detail, providing pictures, and most of all, providing the "fix"!!

So one more big "THANK YOU". I just wanted you to know that someone truly appreciates your hard work and time.

To all the other people that provide helpful advice via these forums, please know that you probably are helping a lot of other Corvette owners that, like me, usually don't take the time to say "thank you". On our behalf, please know that we sure appreciate your time and advice!! Just keep on "Passing it forward", it'll come back to you in the long run.

Gratefully,

DougU4
Nashville, TN area

PS: Please forgive the long post. In my defense, I figured StrokedOutVette would enjoy reading it after putting forth his efforts!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, this is a nearly 2 year old post, but thanks, and thanks to whomever brought it back up!
This is a great find. Well done!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM
leo lossett
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. This type of problem and fix is invaluable once again thanks so much.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

good find, nice solution and thanks for sharing !!! .......
Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Punk
damn, that was a good find. i know that's a relief
Good for you!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:42 PM
ioutrun
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

wow thanks for the heads up! Great info!!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 PM
fastmax
Advanced

Old 11-17-2013, 03:41 PM
bpGx
Racer

Gr8 work
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The thread might have been started over two years ago but the information is obviously as pertinent and useful today as it was then. I know I will be installing some erasers as preventive maintenance. Why do people have to point out when someone revives a useful old thread? The old threads are kept and not deleted for a reason. They are useful. If not useful, many are entertaining.

Last edited by Keith Tedford; 11-17-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 AM
GEMark
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you!! Smarter than the clowns at the dealership you are!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:11 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

No problems with my '12 GS, but when I installed the NPP switch and an 'add-to-fuse' on my car, I said to myself 'this POS of a 'floor board' might cause a lot of damage in case of a panic braking or accident. And the problem is even with the seat all the way back, AND relatively short legs, you still don't have enough leg room on the passenger seat, so it's very easy for a passenger to just stretch and push too hard inadvertently. More than an 'eraser' as a spacer, we need something more sturdy than that POS of plastic cardboard GM put in there. I'm sad to say this, but this car is not much better built than a freaking kit car. As a comparison, Ferraris have the battery in that area, and besides not having reduced leg room (no pressing on the plate), it's a THICK METAL plate, AND with 2 horizontal heavy-duty bars welded on the back making it even more sturdy. And obviously BOLTED at 4 places. Not asking for that, but at least a freaking piece of 1/4" plywood, for crying out loud.

Anyway, thanks to the original poster for this. Now we know what it is if we ever encounter such a problem. I'm going to look into how to protect that area better, rather than erasers, which are easily overcome by foot pressure. They help, but don't solve the problem of a flimsy foot 'cardboard' .

Get notified of new replies

To Finally chased down an annoying gremlin!

Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 AM
H-TOWNC6
Racer

This needs a "sticky"!

Excellent information!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by H-TOWNC6
This needs a "sticky"!

Excellent information!

great thread

Lisa
Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good information.

Quick Reply: Finally chased down an annoying gremlin!