C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crystal red tintcoat is the weirdest color in videos and pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 AM
hihoSilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crystal red tintcoat is the weirdest color in videos and pictures.

A dealer found me a CRM GS because ive seen one before in person and liked it. It would have to be shipped. I was very happy. Then, the videos I watch, I feel like I want to pull my hair out. Some videos look almost purplish. Some look "sweet". This color changes big time in different lights. A dealer over here has a used one im going to check out today. I need to put my eyes on one. Are you guys happy with yours? Do they look more of a purple in some lighting? I may have to go the same route and go with Torch red. Oh how I loved Monterey red. Sorry if this subject has been beat to death.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Who Needs Turbo
Instructor

I'm happy with mine. You're right that CRM looks different nearly every time you see it.

On a bright or sunny day you get a deep red with the metallica accents - very sweet!

On a dark or shady day, it can get a slight purple tint sometimes, but it's still just dark red. I think the purple comes in because of the blue in the sky and CRM is more reflective than the brighter reds.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of it is the camera being used. But the CRM has character that the flat colors just will not give you. Here are three shots taken with the same camera.

Sunny day:

Cloudy day:

Inside florescent lighting:

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has to do with the metal flake in it and the angle of the light.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

My wife had to have a red Corvette. Seeing how I was buying it for HER, I relunctantly gave in. We ended up purchasing a 2008 CRM coupe. I had never seen the color in person. We had it transported here after veiwing the seller's pictures on the internet. When it arrived I was shocked to see how much better it looked in person. I don't think cameras really do this color justice. As others have said it does seem to change colors with different light on it. I use different sealers and detailer sprays that seem to alter it's look as well. I'm very happy with the color. I can't wait until it gets cooler as I will be buffing and jeweling the paint to really make that metalflake pop!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

outside in mid-day sun at 105 degrees..with camera phone, it really depends on the camera..see it in person, don't rely on photos to make your decision...
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I like CRM. If it's anything like Magnetic Red Metallic II it's very chameleon like. My mag red changes appearance dramatically with changing light conditions. I consider mag red close to candy apple red...in bright sunlight it's electric...the metallic particles pop. On overcast days it appears much more subdued. In dark conditions its almost as dark as Monterey red. Go see one again in person...I think you'll still like it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

LMB is the same way. Looks very flat on a cloudy day, then looks amazing in direct sunlight, and when viewed up close in the sun, has a purplish hue at certain angles.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 PM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

Great color - changes with light:

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

I had Torch Red for 10 years. Then I went to CRM on the Grand Sport. I like the CRM much better.....deeper and more pop to it due to the metal flake.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an 08 CRM. When I saw the sellers photos it had an orange tint in some. When we got there to see it in person it was more than I could have imagined. I got compliments all the time on what a pretty color it is. I have photos that it has dark cherry look. It's just the light.
I think you would be extremely happy with it.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hihoSilver
A dealer found me a CRM GS because ive seen one before in person and liked it. It would have to be shipped. I was very happy. Then, the videos I watch, I feel like I want to pull my hair out. Some videos look almost purplish. Some look "sweet". This color changes big time in different lights. A dealer over here has a used one im going to check out today. I need to put my eyes on one. Are you guys happy with yours? Do they look more of a purple in some lighting? I may have to go the same route and go with Torch red. Oh how I loved Monterey red. Sorry if this subject has been beat to death.
Nothing but compliments and questions about the color at many car shows. People seem to love this color when they see it in person. I certainly do.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM
jrrjbl
Instructor

Traded in my Crimson Red BMW and told dealer Cyber Gray, no more reds.

Walked in and saw the CRM, it now sits in my driveway right under my window. Hell even my "hates all corvettes" wife loves this car.

Wish I could figure out a very simple way to post pics other than the 10 step process.

Last edited by jrrjbl; 09-20-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though I have Monterey red '07, Crystal red is pretty darn close to the same as Monterey. It all depends on the lighting situation as to what shade is represented. If you ever see a bucket ( large quantity ) of this paint it is totally purple...no hint of red at all. Also, two buddies in the high end body shop business said " you don't ever, ever, ever want to have this painted, it will never match " just a caution...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:01 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by jrrjbl
Traded in my Crimson Red BMW and told dealer Cyber Gray, no more reds.

Walked in and saw the CRM, it now sits in my driveway right under my window. Hell even my "hates all corvettes" wife loves this car.

Wish I could figure out a very simple way to post pics other than the 10 step process.
Become a paying member and you can upload the pics directly, best money I have ever spent.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I like CRM. If it's anything like Magnetic Red Metallic II it's very chameleon like. My mag red changes appearance dramatically with changing light conditions. I consider mag red close to candy apple red...in bright sunlight it's electric...the metallic particles pop. On overcast days it appears much more subdued. In dark conditions its almost as dark as Monterey red. Go see one again in person...I think you'll still like it.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

CRM is the 2nd best color next to JSB ....... Since JSB is no longer available CRM is #1

Get notified of new replies

To Crystal red tintcoat is the weirdest color in videos and pictures.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Downside of this color is that it pops pink in the sun.
The following users liked this post:
Vettefanboii (03-25-2024)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 PM
hihoSilver
Racer

I thought the montery red was the red that was on the trailer when the c6 first came out on the spy shots. What red was this. This dark red (i call it blood red) was sweet. I see the monterey is more burgandy. The one I looked at during lunch today looked like a dark maroon in the sunlight. The CRM. I still cant make up my mind. I screwed i guess.

Last edited by hihoSilver; 09-20-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

fact is this dark red color needs some kind of light to shine ( weather it be sun or even light)
Unfortunatley its kind dull without direct light. Dull for a corvette anyway

Quick Reply: Crystal red tintcoat is the weirdest color in videos and pictures.