C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels, now have vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This article from the forum will explain the offset better... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...oupe-help.html
Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
with everything you said
It's the same reason I simply bought a second set of Stock Gumby's to mount some Michelin A/S tires on.
After looking at new wheels for a year, the only place I found that knows what their doing with Offsets that work the way they are supposed to is CCW. Complete Custom Wheels.
I couldn't find any other custom wheels that offered the Same Offsets as the Stock wheels.
Every time I saw a picture of some wheels I liked they didn't fit under the car correctly.
They looked like the rear wheels on the OP's car.
Sure, there are a lot of custom wheels that work even though the Offsets are not correct.
But why have that

gp56, I hope you get everything worked out to your satisfaction
Hope so too!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dendk
This article from the forum will explain the offset better... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...oupe-help.html
Seems like that guy stuck with the 19x11 and the 65 offset. wonder how he made out.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 PM
raysk
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New to the board, just ordered a new GS, got stock wheels because I want to get custom's. Am having questions and concerns about the fit, offset, concentricity, tire rubbing, etc., and by reading this post, I can see my questions and concerns are valid. Looks like one really needs to be careful, one size does not fit all. I'm looking forward to the resolution to this problem, I hope it works out for gp56 in the end. The people on this board are great. everyone's really helping gp, and it's a great that we use this board in this way.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by raysk
New to the board, just ordered a new GS, got stock wheels because I want to get custom's. Am having questions and concerns about the fit, offset, concentricity, tire rubbing, etc., and by reading this post, I can see my questions and concerns are valid. Looks like one really needs to be careful, one size does not fit all. I'm looking forward to the resolution to this problem, I hope it works out for gp56 in the end. The people on this board are great. everyone's really helping gp, and it's a great that we use this board in this way.
I agree, it is really great to see the effort many put out to help a member in need or with questions. I have learned a lot in my one and a half years on this forum and also try to share what I have experienced whenever possible.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gp56
Seems like that guy stuck with the 19x11 and the 65 offset. wonder how he made out.
Was more to the fact of the explanation of the offset. Stock rim offsets Front: 18 x 8.5 56MM offset Rear: 19 x 10 79MM offset The "offset" is defined as the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the hub which bolts on to the axle assembly. The offset can be positive or negative, positive being to the face of the wheel, negative to the back of the wheel. Offset will change depending on the design of the wheel. All things being equal the face of the rear wheel with a 65MM offset will "stick out" about 1/2" more then the stock rim (79MM-65MM=14MM x .04 = .56") still dependent on wheel design. If you use your stock tires, it will be hardly noticeable. Still a matter of taste when it comes to wheel and tire appearance. As long as a wheel fits with no interference and the tire is mounted properly to a rim width within it's suggested size range, then it is a "correct" fit. Only "incorrect" if it does not mechanically fit/function. Credit to RBYCC
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I didnt mind the extra 1/2, but when I started hearing the scraping noise that was unacceptable. Right now I am hoping that they have a C6 rear wheel and they sent me a C5 wheel as NCVette pointed out. Website is confusing as it states that they are available in both C5 and C6 offsets but the specs state a 65 mm offset. They were told the car was a 2006 so you would assume they would send the right ones. Hope to get answers to this from them tomorrow. Appreciate the info, I would not have thought that the 1/2 inch would have caused a rubbing issue.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My suggestion to you is: no, the two wheels that have been compensated for by balancing MAY become a problem somewhere down the road. You need two more wheels that are round to start with so that months or years down the road when you can't go back and ask for new wheels.....

Also, as to your pic (which you should send to wheel etailer) and what 3Gen said, that does not look right. Splitting the difference betw. C5 and C6 is poor product design. Not apples to apples, but what's betw. a V6 and a V8? A V7? I don't think so.

Get the right wheels, no matter who makes them, at the right size that are also true and round, too. Don't compromise.

Remember: there is only about ONE 8 1/2" by 14" piece of paper's total footprint of rubber connecting you to the road. That's all 4 tires combined, not just one. And guess what your tires are riding on--wheels?

As per boomer, that is the reason I went with gumbys, too.

Tell us how it all turns out. And good luck.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 PM
terradriller
Racer

I've got an 08 Tahoe Hybrid that had the exact same problem you have after I had a set of Boss wheels intsalled. Had the tires balanced several times, finally I took it to a different shop. They took one look and said I needed a set of concentric hub rings. I had never heard of them. Apparently some wheels don't fit exact on the hub. The concentric hub ring centers the wheel exactly........It solved my problem for about $40
Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 AM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I didnt mind the extra 1/2, but when I started hearing the scraping noise that was unacceptable. Right now I am hoping that they have a C6 rear wheel and they sent me a C5 wheel as NCVette pointed out. Website is confusing as it states that they are available in both C5 and C6 offsets but the specs state a 65 mm offset. They were told the car was a 2006 so you would assume they would send the right ones. Hope to get answers to this from them tomorrow. Appreciate the info, I would not have thought that the 1/2 inch would have caused a rubbing issue.
Thanks
I just asked my buddy who is in the business about your situation and he said there is no reason for them to rub especially if you're running stock size tires. I asked him about your offset and he told me that most likely they shipped you out the wrong rims as NCvette stated also. He also mentioned that if the rims are out of round, you need have them take it back although he said with proper balancing you can eliminate any issues but still. I know it complicates things for you and I feel your pain but helping with whatever info I can.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Just got off the phone with WCC. There is not a wheel for a C5 and a C6. They use the same rear wheel for both. Guy said that the right rear wheel, even with OEM wheels on a C6 always sticks out more than the left side, so that, coupled with the 14 MM difference in offset is what I feel is causing my issue. He said this is the first time someone complained about scraping. He asked me to send him pics. The only one I had on hand was the one that I posted earlier in this thread. Will have to take additional ones when I get home tonight. He said they may have to send me another set of rears, and I asked what will that do if the offset is the same...

As for the two left wheels being slightly out of round he noted that on his end so that if I ever have problems in the future they are aware of it. Didnt complain about this as my focus right now is on the rears...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, at least that answer is consistent with what they also told me as stated in my prior post. They are certainly good looking wheels, but of course you also want them to fit properly.

Hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Those back ones do look like they are a little too far out. The front ones look fine.
I like the look but not if they rub.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

They requested additional pics from the top down and from the side. Will take more tonight.

I do have chrome hub covers on my rotors. They are only about 1/16 of an inch thick, which would be 1.5MM. I hope that they are not contributing to this. They are a bitch to get off to test as the rear caliper brackets need to be removed. Had to go to my mechanic to get them installed initially.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Question for all of you. If raising the rear height by 1/4 to 1/2 inch and/or cutting the wheel well liner near the lip of the fender by about an inch stops the scraping would you do it?

I like the look of the wheels, had repro spyders as my second choice and Gumby's as my third but I felt these had a more unique look. Just took off the chrome 5 spokes when I put these on and felt the Gumbys were too similar.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 PM
jittrbugg
Racer

I might get banned for this, but to me that is not acceptable. The rears on a C6 need different numbers than a C6.. To me that is like saying here use these mustang wheels on your Supra, they have the same bolt pattern so they'll work.. right??

We put 11" wheels with 325 tires on the back of C6' lowered, so no you should not have to raise car, cut, roll or beat fenders to make 10" wheels fit.

Just my 2 cents.. Fire away..

Melissa
CCW

Last edited by jittrbugg; 09-20-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by jittrbugg
I might get banned for this, but to me that is not acceptable. The rears on a C6 need different numbers than a C6.. To me that is like saying here use these mustang wheels on your Supra, they have the same bolt pattern so they'll work.. right??

We put 11" wheels with 325 tires on the back of C6' lowered, so no you should not have to raise car, cut, roll or beat fenders to make 10" wheels fit.

Melissa
CCW

Get notified of new replies

To New Wheels, now have vibration

Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Question for all of you. If raising the rear height by 1/4 to 1/2 inch and/or cutting the wheel well liner near the lip of the fender by about an inch stops the scraping would you do it?

I like the look of the wheels, had repro spyders as my second choice and Gumby's as my third but I felt these had a more unique look. Just took off the chrome 5 spokes when I put these on and felt the Gumbys were too similar.
I would not do it.You are putting a bandaid on the problem rather than fixing it.
Besides that,you are going back to the 1970's look of cars jacked up with air shocks and wheels that stick out too far.Not a good look then or now.
Just get the correct size wheels.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:59 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by jittrbugg

Melissa
CCW
Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

only you can make the decision but my recommendation above still stands. obviously, some are of the same/similar opinion.

Quick Reply: New Wheels, now have vibration