C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone change their own oil in dry sump system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 PM
alawil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone change their own oil in dry sump system?

I always change my own oil. Now I have a 2011 Grand Sport with dry sump. Anyone out their know where I can find a step-by-step how to on how to change the oil and filter? I probably could figure it out but I want to be sure. Pictures would help. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM
KKJ
Instructor

I think it tells us how to do it right in the owners manual. I will be doing this for the first time as well pretty soon too!

Look on page 10-19 of your owners manual.

Last edited by KKJ; 09-16-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by alawil
I always change my own oil. Now I have a 2011 Grand Sport with dry sump. Anyone out their know where I can find a step-by-step how to on how to change the oil and filter? I probably could figure it out but I want to be sure. Pictures would help. Thanks for your help.
Go to the Z06 section where you should be able to find all the help you need. Basically, there are two drains for the oil, not one. Other than that, just the same.

Here is the Z06 procedure, I haven't seen the GS dry sump oil pan so I am assuming they are the same. Make sure you know the correct drain plugs when you do this. I won't be held responsible, YMMV, RTFM, etc etc etc. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...il-change.html

Last edited by ByByBMW; 09-16-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added link for clarification
Old 09-16-2011, 06:18 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

It is the same, just do both drain plugs: They are close to each other on the oil pan (or where it would be, if the engine wasn't dry sump).

One plug just drains whats in the bottom of the motor, about a quart, and the other drains the dry sump tank.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:44 PM
chimazo
Burning Brakes

Here is a pic of both drain plugs, the filter, and the oil lines. You are looking from the front to the rear. Drain one plug at a time, otherwise a mess is without question. Be prepared to catch around 10qts! Also, you'll notice that up top you have no traditional oil fill. On passenger side there is a cannister to fill instead. See both pics below. The lines themselves hold some oil that won't come out, but it's not worth disconnecting them. I did for my header installation and made a mess thinking all the oil was out.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Instead of 1 plug you have two as mentioned above. It just takes more time draining and extra time to put the 10.5 quarts in. Not much different than a normal oil change.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Greenvetter
Racer

Its in your owners manual. I have a 08 DD Z that I do my own oil changes on. Other than the things already mentioned, when you re-fill it keep a quart out of the car. Start it and let it run for a minute. Shut it down and add the last quart then check the level. You can overfill the reservior since the oil doesnt get into all the places it supposed to be until you run the motor.

Its as easy as changing the oil in a wet sump car except that you have two drain plugs and need a huge drain pan.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 PM
mikes72
Instructor

Originally Posted by slacker1201
Instead of 1 plug you have two as mentioned above. It just takes more time draining and extra time to put the 10.5 quarts in. Not much different than a normal oil change.
I AM ON MY 4TH OIL CHANGE, DO IT EVERY 5K JUST FOLLOW THE MANUAL AND IF YOU DECIDE TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DO IT SHOW THEM THE BOOK AND POINT TO THE SECTION AND SAY READ IT FIRST AND DONT MESS UP.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by chimazo
Here is a pic of both drain plugs, the filter, and the oil lines. You are looking from the front to the rear. Drain one plug at a time, otherwise a mess is without question. Be prepared to catch around 10qts! Also, you'll notice that up top you have no traditional oil fill. On passenger side there is a cannister to fill instead. See both pics below. The lines themselves hold some oil that won't come out, but it's not worth disconnecting them. I did for my header installation and made a mess thinking all the oil was out.

I have found that I can get an extra 1/2 cup, or so, of oil out of the lines by pushing upward on the rear hose(the hose with the lilver tape), between the pan and the clamp. Do this while the front drain plug is removed. It takes about a half dozen pushes, spaced a couple minutes apart, to drain most of what has collected in the line.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Caution - Oil change in progress!

Be very careful if you have someone else change your oil!

I recently received a PM from a 2011 Grand Sport owner that had his oil changed. The business neglected to drain both plugs and the result was a massive overfill. Last I heard is that he has a bent connecting rod and will receive a new replacement engine. A very costly mistake...

Also make sure you allow ample time for the dry sump to drain. All the more reason to do it yourself, as most businesses want things done as quickly as possible.

Here's a view from inside your dry sump oil pan:
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2011, 11:38 PM
alawil
Intermediate

Default Dry sump oil change

Thanks for the help, especially the pictures. You guys are awesome!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

I change mine, too.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone change their own oil in dry sump system?

Quick Reply: Anyone change their own oil in dry sump system?