C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Corvette to Buy for an Old Guy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM
RaceRick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive em all...pick one...easy.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Go with the Z06. You will not regret it. I am old school guy and still have an old big block in my garage. The Z06 is the first newer Corvette that has really kept my interest. To me it drives very smooth. The clutch is light and the car is an animal between 4,000 and 7,000 RPM's. The handling is tremendous. The old big block is not in the same league.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:30 PM
soulcoaxing
Acct suspended by request 21 Sept 2011

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceRick
pick one...easy.
Easy for some, more difficult for others . . .

Get One, and you could be the one!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 PM
ol rich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the times I've been in S FL most of the verts are driving with the tops up anyway( either too cold or too friggin' hot !!) you know you want theZ- just do it. F55 toss a coin.

BTW this from one more ol guy- latest Vette (#7) is a C5 vert because last winter I decided to get either a C5 Vert or Z06 whichever came along first for the best deal ( I never buy new with all the great lo miles Vettes available) Anyway- get it and pls post pix-

BTW leave the Revells and Monograms for the whippersnappers- they can enjoy the glue.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 PM
gjnockie
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok so it's going to be the Z06!

The gotta have option for me is the (F55) Magnetic Suspension. I am going to have to order it because what I want doesn't seem to exist.

So guys... should I get the 2lz or 3lz?

What other options do you guys think are must have?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the mag ride. Its not just about a better ride but a much safer car.

The mag ride reads the road and adjusts at nano speeds to keep more contact patch on the road. A big reason its on the ZR1.

Ferrari and Audi didn't license it from GM just for the ride.

Last edited by 06 C6 vert; 09-13-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by gjnockie
How great is this thread... I guess I am not the only "Old Guy" around here! .... At this point I am leaning towards the Z06 with Mag Ride. Problem is I need to go find one in my area (south Florida) to drive one before I buy the car.
Use this site to search.

http://jeffhardy.com/lookupvette11.php

Jon Hall Chevrolet in Daytona Beach has one to try on for size.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 PM
63 Forever
Advanced

@gjnockie: Excellent choice!!! I wanted a Z06 (or ZR1) really bad - but I wanted a convertible more. I just went and got my window sticker to see what I got (again, I did not order anything - it all came with the car that we ended up buying): I did get the "Magnetic Select Ride Control" although I've never used it in 7K miles. And, I did get the "Exhaust, Dual-Mode" and, like I said it is not near loud enough for me - but I just have not made any changes. I got a bunch of other options, probably not needed. BTW, I bought mine from Reeder Chevrolet in Knoxville - used the internet guy (Brian Hobeck?) - a real pleasure to work with. Not your typical dealership "shark standing at the door!"
Uh, now, the next question: What Color?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert
Get the mag ride. Its not just about a better ride but a much safer car.

The mag ride reads the road and adjusts at nano speeds to keep more contact patch on the road. A big reason its on the ZR1.

Ferrari and Audi didn't license it from GM just for the ride.
Those that don't appreciate the F55 Adjustible Magnetic Suspension just aren't perceptive of or receptive to space age technology. Quieter, smoother, better handling, more responsive, keeps all four tires in contact with the ground, and the body motion better controlled.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
gjnockie
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Color is going to be white, black inside with red stitching.

Does anyone know if the 3lz only comes with suede seat inserts? Or can you get just full leather seats?

I also know that I want the new Q5V machined faced wheels.

Want to get the car built and delivered before the end of October so I can take advantage of the GM offers.

Any opinions on which dealer to buy the car from in order to get it done?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:29 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Color is going to be white, black inside with red stitching.

Does anyone know if the 3lz only comes with suede seat inserts? Or can you get just full leather seats?

I also know that I want the new Q5V machined faced wheels.

Want to get the car built and delivered before the end of October so I can take advantage of the GM offers.

Any opinions on which dealer to buy the car from in order to get it done?
Call Tommy at MacMulkin
Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 PM
v8dave
2nd Gear

Default Least regret

Somewhere in my 50s I came to the conclusion that I should run my life on the least regret principle. That is, with perfect 20-20 hindsight, I have come to regret things I didn't do rather than things I did do.

So, with that philosophy, don't accept the lesser of your choices. Go for the gusto, if you think you might want a Z06 or ZR1 [and money really isn't the issue] screw the rationalizations--GET the Z06 or ZR1. Don't put yourself in the position of saying I wish I had gotten the. . . .

I am in my late 60s. I have always wanted a Corvette and I just bought my first Corvette--an 08 'Coupe, M6. I didn't buy a Z06 because that wasn't what I lusted after. I wanted a Corvette, specifically a C6 Corvette Coupe with a manual transmission. So I bought one--no more regrets.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
Get a GS and in my opinion you are wasting your money with magnetic ride. Get a 3 LT and call it a day. Not mention saving a ton of cash.
I'm 68 own a 2012 z06 old school here new vetts not hot like old ones. Z06 you won't regret it it pulls like jack the bear sold my 67 big block and they quit making 427 or 454 so this one will be in garage for a while.
z51vett
Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

Ok so it's going to be the Z06!

The gotta have option for me is the (F55) Magnetic Suspension. I am going to have to order it because what I want doesn't seem to exist.
Hi.

I have the F55 and I've never been able to feel any difference between Sport and Touring. I took it to the dealer and told him it didn't work, but he checked it and said it was ok. Actually he said it didn't appear to be defective because it didn't throw a code.

If it makes any difference, it must be when you're pulling lots of lateral Gs or flying over the crest of a hill with your tires off the ground, like the promotional video. I never drive that way, but if you do then it might be what you want.

It's going to cost you about $2000. If you want it you should get it, but before you do you might want to rent a Hertz C6 and judge for yourself.

Just sayin'.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I feel your pain....been there with that decision.

Take it from this ole f*rt...you should check out the Callaway! I was faced w/ the same decision and chose the Callaway over the Z06. You can enjoy the same street manners of the C6, with the quieter ride (along w/ F55 if you choose) with 606 HP. You can also opt for the top down motoring which the Z06 doesn't offer. The $ are comparable to the Z06. I refer to mine as a "poor man's ZR1...with a Callaway you run with the thoroughbreds
Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM
63 Forever
Advanced

@gjnockie: I've read several people say that they really enjoyed the "Pick Up At The Museum" option.
-----When we bought ours in Knoxville, we drove it home - it is the best riding car (any vehicle - well maybe not flying first class) that I have ever been in.
-----I'm 70, and love the stick shift - but I can see why only about 17% of Corvettes are sold new with sticks. If you don't LOVE it, it could be a pain in the butt in traffic.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you're old school and my same generation ( manual trans is mandatory not optional on a vette ) I suggest you need neither a Z06 or a GS.

You need a "narrow body" LS3 with NPP exhaust. Go light on the option packages....you don't want fluff. You don't need a stupid "head up" display ( most people call it "heads up" to show you the tachometer floating in the windshield. You know when to shift 'cause you learned right.

You don't need an interior wrapped in cowhide....you need maybe 2LT not 4LT interior packages. You'll probably also like shock absorbers instead of the mag ride. Otherwise you'd buy a Cadillac to get the cushy ride.

It's just my opinion in answer to your query. Not trying to inflame. The Z06 isn't a 427 in the sense WE thought about it. It's a small block bored out to extreme cubic inches way above what would have been deemed safe in the late 60s early 70s.

Since the laws of physics and metallurgy are still in force now as then the LS7 ( in the Z06 ) is a problem prone engine that breaks unexpectedly and badly even if the car is not used on any track ever.

Read posts in the Z06 section and you'll get my drift. Bad valves? Bad valve layout, bad clutch design.

As for the GS IMO it's a poser car mostly. The same power as the narrow body car but wider with more decorations to attract attention. The "gills" the nameplate.....it's a Z06 knock off that many who buy it seem to think is the equal to the Z06 when in fact it weighs more and has more wind resistance than the narrow body car with the same power. The math is simple.

Remember back in the day? Show vs go? The Z06 has more go but is flawed. The GS has more show but is no faster than the narrow body car.

My hunch is that you want a car that is fast more than you want something gaudy to turn heads of , say, younger women. I've reached a point in life I could care less what any woman thinks of me....I just know what I like in a car. The fewer frills the better ( narrow body with only a few options ). I also like a reliable car ( owned many a 396 in the day ) so a Z06 is not an option for me. I'd NEVER trust the car based upon actual real life testimonials posted here by owners.

I would not touch a Z06.

Blah blah blah. People get angry. I am "hating on" the Z06 and GS. Wull, duh, after reading thousands of posts about problems with the Z06 , duh, ya think maybe something is really wrong with the LS7? Duh? And anybody really want to argue that the GS is anything but a slightly more gaudy clone of the Z06 but minus the additional power? Duh?

It's all about marketing.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Corvette to Buy for an Old Guy?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sent you a PM with additional thoughts. Look in upper right corner of this page.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
jperaino
Instructor

I just returned from Bowling Green after watching them assemble my 2012 GS Vert with F55 and Auto Trans. I have had vettes all my life, but at 64 I am an old guy. I enjoy the ease of driving the auto and having a vert is priceless. Let those young guys get the Z06 and ZR1. I am enjoying this GS as much as ever.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Good news! No bad models. I have owned a C2,C3, and C5. Have a new 2011 Torch Red 1LT 436HP, performance exhaust, cross drilled brakes and 6spd. auto trans. Everything I wanted. Do your research and consider the bells and whistles that give you what you want in a Corvette. I never track my cars and find 436HP adequate. I don't need my seat heated, 6 CD changer or ride adjustments. GS wide body looks good but space is tight in my garage and motor is the same. Get what floats your boat and don't look back.

Quick Reply: Which Corvette to Buy for an Old Guy?