C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waterless car washing.do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tanko
I usually use car soap and water to wash, but if the car has just a light coat of dust I will use detail spray with microfiber towels to clean it...seems to work very well.
It should be made clear that a waterless wash IS NOT a detail spray.

It is far safer for your finish than a detail spray with a microfiber, which I would never use after taking the car out of the garage. The only time I'll wipe down with a detail spray is after washing it if it collects dust overnight before taking it out.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a detailer and have cleaned it when it was probably a little marginal to do so. No problems so far. Just depends upon how much time I have and how dirty it is. Clear coats are tougher than you think. Not to say they cannot be scratched. If you can scratch it with a microfiber, you can scratch it with a wash mit.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Invicta1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I take mine out for a short drive on a sunny day I will usually put it back in the garage and wipe it down using a microfiber and detail spray before I put the cover back on because I like to keep the cover on it. I don't see any harm in that, however if it was really dirty I would wash it before putting the cover back on.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Sounds like a lot of fine scratches to me. My last car was covered with fine scratches from the dealer's shop monkeys "dry-washing" the car while it was still on the lot unsold.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:52 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In it's 6 1/2 years, I've never washed my car, least not the traditional way.

I do get a large micro-fiber towel wet then go over the body getting the smudges
that the California duster misses, but I have never used a bucket of soapy water
and a hose like I see these knuckleheads doing; letting water run endlessly down the street

Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The newer rinseless and waterless products are designed with lubricants to avoid marring and ingredients to help loosen and disolve dirt quickly. The difference in products is the need for a bucket of water (rinseless) versus premixed and ready to wipe spray. These products offer a much greater margin of protection over quick detailers which only should be used on very light dust or spot cleaning. Rinseless/Waterless washes can handle much more and still offer a mar free finish when done properly.

I personally find the Ultima product the best, Optimums No Rinse and our DP Rinseless wash very close in design also. Best part you can make your own spray with them as needed and even your own clay lube. Best part they offer glossing agents like detail sprays too. In water restriction areas and for fast cleaning these are indeed a great option.

In order to get the best results, even with a rinseless wash, consider two buckets as possible. One clean water and one with wash. Consider a grit gard to keep any loose soil at bottom of the bucket. I premix some in spray bottle to spritz grimy areas and rims to allow the ingredients to get started. I then take a clean MF towel and dunk in rinse. Then I wipe the finish in slow straight lines. You then rinse the towel in clean water, and then back to the wash. Most of the time the water softners and other ingredients even avoid the need for drying if your towel is moist and not drenched when wiping the finish.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
I've been using your Poor Boys Waterless Wash for thr past 7 years. Never used a hose and the car still looks new!!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:23 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Griots spray wash on the lower 3rd of the car after every drive. Actually I soak a microfiber in water and wipe the bugs off the nose first.

Then I use spray detailer on the whole car. So far so good, but I imagine I am marring the paint more than than washing with water every 3rd drive like I did last year.

I only drive it once every 2-3 weeks, but I drive it 150-200 miles of backroads and twisties so it gets pretty dirty in 3 drives. Also the brake dust really builds up since I do a fair amount of hard braking on those twisties.

It just got so filthy last year by that 3rd drive I was almost embarrassed to drive it. And tons of dust collected on it in storage, now I cover it since its clean.

I realize I am forcing myself to do a polish yearly and a compounding every 3 years with this method, but my car looks so darn good all the time I think its worth it.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, I clean the windows - if you are going to cover a car it really needs to be 95-100% clean otherwise the cover will get dirty and you will be scratching up the paint with the dirty cover.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 AM
griff23jordan
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default CroftgateUSA products

Ahhhh...finally a topic I know oh so well how to respond to! My mechanical abilities may be very limited, almost non-existent to be honest. But waterless car washing is right up my alley!

I can start by saying that prior to December 2009, the idea itself sounded completely insane. How in the world can you wash something without water? Impossible! Well I was wrong. Just as I was wrong when I got my first front-loader washing machine to do laundry, and watched the first few loads thinking "how in the world is this going to clean my dirty laundry when there is barely any water being used?".

The best way to keep your paint brand new is an option I refuse to follow...and that's called not driving your car. There's dust, dirt and debris all over the roads. But I bought my 2006 Corvette to drive it, customize it, enjoy it, and not let it just sit in a garage with a cover on it.

Anyway, I was introduced to CroftgateUSA back in December 2009. And since then, I have not touched Stella (yep...I named her!) with a bucket and hose. I've had a trip to California and back, 5 trips to Pittsburgh and back, a trip to Florida and back and a couple trips to Virginia and back....oh yeah, I live in Charlotte, NC by the way, moved here at the beginning of December in 2009. So assuming that "he never lets his car get that dirty probably" would definitely be wrong.

When the car is filthy, I use the CroftgateUSA Multi Clean to get the heavy dirt on the bottom, behind the wheels (especially if I have any tar). Then follow up the rest of the car with the Aquanil X which is a true waterless wash AND wax. And although it has a 6 month protection and I don't exactly have to use it, I always apply the Quick n Slick because the results just amaze me. Then the Tire Shine which is more of an all-purpose shine, though that's not a "waterless wash", I use on the tires and interior trim (including the leather seats). Oh yeah...and I ONLY use microfiber towels for the whole process as they actually "suck" up the dirt. Now if somehow I have thick mud, which is extremely rare but I have drove through a construction zone where dirt actually got caked on, I'll use a hose or a quick stop by the pressure washer to get that off. That's just called being smart, who knows what might be embedded in that chunk of dirt!

Obviously I'm not going to change everyone's mind, nor am I trying to...but the question was does it work? And yes, yes it does, and not just on a "my car never gets dirty" kind of car. I'm like most of us here probably are...my Corvette is part of me, it's my pride and joy and I've sacrificed quite a bit to get my dream car and have worked hard to make it look great. So why would I intentionally use a product that would scratch and etch my paint? I would NOT!

Ok sorry, I got a little carried away there! But time and time again I've had to prove to skeptics that the CroftgateUSA products I use do what they say. And the normal response I get? "Well I guess I had to actually see it to believe it".

Last edited by griff23jordan; 09-12-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 PM
ZR Guy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I also agree that waterless car wash is very similar to waterless urinals. Hmmm...

Seriously, it depends how **** you are about your Z. If you are not going to wash it otherwise, then waterless is a good choice. If you are a fanatic ( I'm in that group), then pushing wet dirt around on your paint, even if minuscule , is a no-option.

I read the entry saying that it is good for dust and after light rain.". If the car has been driven in light rain, it has enormous dirt/debris and should be washed WITH WATER!!
If you don't hav time for that, sell it and buy a Maxima.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 PM
talionstallion21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started using waterless wash with microfiber towel wipe down this year. But only for light surface contamination. If heavy dirt or grime I use the traditional water, soap, bucket method. Waterless leaves the surface better than traditional method. I use about 5 large micro fiber towels for the drying. Waterless saves me time, can be done at night, and the car looks better.

Quick Reply: waterless car washing.do you do it?