C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 AM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note

Long Read and Please Note: This is being posted as a FYI thread rather than a rant. If you already were aware of the exclusions from coverage listed under the GMPP extended warranty, then pat yourself on the back. This is posted for all those that are like me and previously unaware of these exclusions and how they apply to this warranty.

Many, including myself, purchased the GMPP extended warranty when they bought their car. When time for renewing the warranty, you might want to pay particular attention to what the warranty covers and, more importantly, what it doesn't cover. Don't be like me and assume that the GMPP warranty extends your standard 3 year/36K mile bumper to bumper warranty because it does not. I recently learned this (yesterday as a matter of fact).

I contacted my local preferred dealer here in Austin and inquired about getting the new roof panel latches to replace the old roller and pin latches that many, including me, have problems with. The dealer had the new latches in stock, and told me these were covered under the standard 3 year/36K mile warranty. After seeing that my car was over 3years old (I have an '07 Coupe), I was told that I would have to pay for the latches. Ignorant me, I told the service guy that I had the GMPP extended warranty and that I thought this was covered - you know, problem with the car roof; TSB issued in 2008 acknowledging the problem; and GM providing for the repair and spending money to have new latch handles developed, manufactured, and made available for the repair.

To my surprise, this is apparently not covered on the GMPP warranty. There is a fairly long list of items not included under the warranty - see below for the GMPP Major Guard policy. Any number of problems with your Corvette can fall within this range of exclusions. I was told that the repair/replacement of the roof panel latches fell under the "hinges" exclusion. However, after reading this list, you can see that if GMPP wanted to get technical, this repair could be claimed to fall under "hinges," "squeaks," "rattles," "body panels and parts," and who knows what else. My point is that what I thought I had purchased is not at all what I actually have in an extended warranty. Yes, I should have read the policy prior to purchasing the warranty so shame on me and it is my fault. However, even if I had read the policy, exclusions, etc. cover to cover, I don't know that I would have been able to actually apply any of the exclusions to real world problems with the car. What is this GMPP warranty really worth to me now? I am not sure. I guess it mainly applies to mechanical operations of the car and whatever else is listed in the policy, assuming the problem you are having cannot be traced to any of the exclusions. Just be aware of this fact when renewing and/or considering purchasing the GMPP or any other warranty. They are a bit expensive and may or may not provide coverage for the type of problem you encounter while owning your Corvette. Here is the list of exclusions referenced above:

GM Non-Covered Parts

Maintenance services and parts (refer to coverage agreement)
Glass
Lenses
Sealed beams
Light bulbs
Tires
Components not installed by the vehicle manufacturer
Bumpers
Sheet metal
Body panels and parts
Carpet
Hinges
Trim
Upholstery
Convertible or vinyl tops
Molding or bright metal
Air and water leaks
Wind noise
Odors
Weather-strips
Squeaks
Rattles
Paint
Rust
Carburetor
Contaminated fuel system
Exhaust system
Catalytic converter
Brake drums/rotors
Brake pads/shoes
Shock absorbers
Batteries
Spark plugs and wires
Manual clutch disc
Old 09-03-2011, 12:11 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

My 09 Coupe is 3 yrs old today. I looked into a GMPP and because of the exclusions I passed on the GMPP. I still have the Power Train 5 yr warranty left.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

The GMPP is a extended service contract. It is not a warranty. It operates under insurance guidelines. It is also a separate division of GM. Not handled or in the same area as factory warranty. It is NOT a bumper to bumper.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Code:
Many, including myself, purchased the GMPP extended warranty when they bought their car. When time for renewing the warranty, you might want to pay particular attention to what the warranty covers and, more importantly, what it doesn't cover. Don't be like me and assume that the GMPP warranty extends your standard 3 year/36K mile bumper to bumper warranty because it does not. I recently learned this (yesterday as a matter of fact).
All "extended" warranties are really a "mechanical" service contract and all have exclusions normally for wear out and stated non mechanical items... I can tell you as a former dealer GM's is as comprehensive as the other major manufacture and are the only ones (the manufacturers)I recommend.. Most non manufacturer warranties have far more restrictions and some especially the ones you see advertised on late night TV are horrible...

GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler etc, are all pretty close in coverages and are all very good.... They are not extensions to your new vehicle warranty and should not be represented that way...
Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Extended warranties are for suckers
Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Raazor

GMPP =Gimme More Profit People.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:39 PM
topper7788
Pro

Here we go......

FYI, everyone is entitled to an opinion, personally even when I was in the car business I had my family buy them if they intended to keep the car for an extended period of time. Just had my wife's kid add it to his Altima... Personally I like the piece of mind not to have to have to worry about a big dollar repair down the road.... Sh*t happens... Heck I have life, disability ins etc... Even though I don't expect to die or end up in a wheel chair.... No different....

Love this place, we can debate anything....
Old 09-03-2011, 12:51 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

I am in the boat of deciding whether to purchase or not. Normally, I would not even consider it, but I am considering it because I have a used Z06 and am worried about some of the stuff I have read about. I don't really consider the list that extensive. Most of the things I am worried about would be covered. I guess it breaks down to how much that peace of mind is worth to you and how you will take it if something you think is covered is not after purchasing it.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps, but I spent $975.00 on my GMPP for my 2008 Z06. This extends my warranty until 2014 or 48,000 miles. I only have 8700 miles on my car now as I travel for a living and I am seldom home. The mileage will not be a factor. So from now until May 2014, for $975.00, I am covered for my Engine, Tranny, Computers, A/C etc. If I decide to sell before 2014, I can transfer the warranty for $50. This tends to make potential buyers more likely to buy your car over someone without the coverage. If I never use the GMPP, GREAT! If I need it, I am sure it will pay for itself on the first repair. $975 for a warranty that runs to 2014, I am not so sure I am a sucker.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by wayback

GMPP =Gimme More Profit People.
's
Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

While I don't know how much value a warranty will add when selling a car, I would have to think a Z06 under warranty would be easier to sell than one that is not.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:04 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Just out of curiosity what is a GMPP worth? Do you have to make up your mind when you buy a vette new or do you have 3 years? Is it cheaper to buy it up front? I'm going to place my order shortly and I'm trying to educate myself. Thanks.

Mike.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You have to buy it at least a month or two before the 3 yr GM warranty runs out.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:25 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Default Good for you.

I also took it out not fully knowing what it covers.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketchum
The GMPP is a extended service contract. It is not a warranty. It operates under insurance guidelines. It is also a separate division of GM. Not handled or in the same area as factory warranty. It is NOT a bumper to bumper.
Actually it is part of GMAC which hasn't been part of GM for a couple of years now. GMAC is now recognized as a bank by the US Government.

Bill
Old 09-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JimTN
You have to buy it at least a month or two before the 3 yr GM warranty runs out.
Not true. You can buy it on the last day of the warranty. I bought mine two weeks before the warranty expired in Feb of this year.

You have to buy a GMPP renewal some time before the GMPP runs out. Not sure what the time frame is now since it has recently changed.

Bill
Old 09-03-2011, 01:44 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

As a general rule they will not pay off but general rules are, well, general.

General rules don't apply to every situation and calling people who choose to buy extended warranties 'suckers' is ignorant on your part.

Do extended warranties typically pay off? - no. Can they pay off? - yes. Do they usually pay off? - no. Does anyone know for certain in advance whether a particular warranty will pay off? - no. Do they have to pay off in order to be worth the cost to some? - no.

For some just taking the risk of large repairs out of the future financial equation is worth the price of an extended warranty. For others, their knowledge of their particular car may give them reason to believe that the chances of the warranty paying off is greater than usual.

Ultimately it's up to the individual owner to decide whether it's worth it to them or not and even if their decision doesn't match your preconceptions it doesn't make them wrong.

P.S. I did not purchase a GMPP contract.

Last edited by C-INRED; 09-03-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note

Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by xcutter
Perhaps, but I spent $975.00 on my GMPP for my 2008 Z06. This extends my warranty until 2014 or 48,000 miles. I only have 8700 miles on my car now as I travel for a living and I am seldom home. The mileage will not be a factor. So from now until May 2014, for $975.00, I am covered for my Engine, Tranny, Computers, A/C etc. If I decide to sell before 2014, I can transfer the warranty for $50. This tends to make potential buyers more likely to buy your car over someone without the coverage. If I never use the GMPP, GREAT! If I need it, I am sure it will pay for itself on the first repair. $975 for a warranty that runs to 2014, I am not so sure I am a sucker.
I agree. My GMPP purchased two weeks before the warranty ran out in Feb of this year gave me 7 years and an additional 56K miles of coverage for $2500. The JD Powers Durability Survey shows that even the most reliable cars on the market average at least one repair trip per year when they are 3 years old or older. If the car's reliability is as good as the best on the market that means I have a good chance of breaking even if I keep the car that long which at my age is a distinct possibility.

Bill
Old 09-03-2011, 02:03 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ROC OUT
Long Read and Please Note: This is being posted as a FYI thread rather than a rant. If you already were aware of the exclusions from coverage listed under the GMPP extended warranty, then pat yourself on the back. This is posted for all those that are like me and previously unaware of these exclusions and how they apply to this warranty.

I contacted my local preferred dealer here in Austin and inquired about getting the new roof panel latches to replace the old roller and pin latches that many, including me, have problems with. The dealer had the new latches in stock, and told me these were covered under the standard 3 year/36K mile warranty. After seeing that my car was over 3years old (I have an '07 Coupe), I was told that I would have to pay for the latches. Ignorant me, I told the service guy that I had the GMPP extended warranty and that I thought this was covered - you know, problem with the car roof; TSB issued in 2008 acknowledging the problem; and GM providing for the repair and spending money to have new latch handles developed, manufactured, and made available for the repair.

To my surprise, this is apparently not covered on the GMPP warranty. There is a fairly long list of items not included under the warranty - see below for the GMPP Major Guard policy. Any number of problems with your Corvette can fall within this range of exclusions. I was told that the repair/replacement of the roof panel latches fell under the "hinges" exclusion. However, after reading this list, you can see that if GMPP wanted to get technical, this repair could be claimed to fall under "hinges," "squeaks," "rattles," "body panels and parts," and who knows what else. My point is that what I thought I had purchased is not at all what I actually have in an extended warranty. Yes, I should have read the policy prior to purchasing the warranty so shame on me and it is my fault. However, even if I had read the policy, exclusions, etc. cover to cover, I don't know that I would have been able to actually apply any of the exclusions to real world problems with the car. What is this GMPP warranty really worth to me now? I am not sure. I guess it mainly applies to mechanical operations of the car and whatever else is listed in the policy, assuming the problem you are having cannot be traced to any of the exclusions. Just be aware of this fact when renewing and/or considering purchasing the GMPP or any other warranty. They are a bit expensive and may or may not provide coverage for the type of problem you encounter while owning your Corvette. Here is the list of exclusions referenced above:

GM Non-Covered Parts

Maintenance services and parts (refer to coverage agreement)
Glass
Lenses
Sealed beams
Light bulbs
Tires
Components not installed by the vehicle manufacturer
Bumpers
Sheet metal
Body panels and parts
Carpet
Hinges
Trim
Upholstery
Convertible or vinyl tops
Molding or bright metal
Air and water leaks
Wind noise
Odors
Weather-strips
Squeaks
Rattles
Paint
Rust
Carburetor
Contaminated fuel system
Exhaust system
Catalytic converter
Brake drums/rotors
Brake pads/shoes
Shock absorbers
Batteries
Spark plugs and wires
Manual clutch disc
The only thing on this list is that really makes me mad and upset is the carburetor.

The catalytic converters are covered under the emissions warranty which is 80,000 +/- miles. The rest of it is understandable and I would not even suggest they cover.

In my case my GMPP has paid for it's self and more.

FYI: to renew a GMPP you must do it one month before the existing GMPP expires and have less than a specified number of miles which I'm not sure of.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:06 PM
topper7788
Pro

Just food for thought, nothing more.....

I have had this SAME conversation probably over 100 times in my office:

Cust - can I speak to you for a minute I have a big problem and need your help ?

Me- sure, what can I help you with?

Cust- my (transmission) (engine) (insert expensive item here) broke and I'm being told it's going to cost $ (insert large amount of money here) and I don't think I should have to pay for it as the car has (insert mileage here) and I'm only out of warranty by (insert time here)... This shouldn't have failed etc etc,.

Me- gee, I'm really sorry to hear that, do you have an extended service contract?

Cust- well no, but I shouldn't have to this shouldn't have broken...

Me- (insert nicely put statement of how you Sh*t out of luck) and this is exactly why we sell those things etc. Etc. Etc...

Me- well let me call (insert manufacturer here) and see if I can get you some assistance...

Later:

Me- hi (insert name of friendly service district manager here) it's XXXXXx I got an issue with a customer of mine that I need your assistance with.. He has a (insert car here) and it's out of warranty by (insert info here) and he is requesting assistance getting it fixed good will?

Friendly manufactures DM - sorry to hear that, does he have our extended service contract?

Me - well no but, (insert all kinds of stuff like,he's a good customer, he had 3 of these before etc etc..)

friendly manufacturers DM - sorry, but he should have spent the money on a extended service contract so he wouldn't have to spend the money on the repair....

Well, you can guess the rest.........................

But as mentioned above, they are for suckers!

Quick Reply: GMPP Extended Warranty Exclusions-Take Note