C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt chirp HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar issue on my last C6. Sorry I don't have the video still posted, but I think the consensus was coolant that leaked on to the serpentine belt during a thermostat change. Here was the thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rom-video.html

Just like yours, the sound would go away after it warmed up. I too was unable to demonstrate it to the shop without letting it fully rest to its coldest state overnight. I never had a chance to do that, as it was my DD. The sound seemed to go away over time. But since yours is brand new and covered under warranty, I would definitely take it in and tell them to fix it.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Mr Lex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know exactly what it is!

I had this same exact problem on my 07.
I noticed the harmonic balancer was wobbly,
took it in the dealer, ordered the part, replaced it (under warranty)...and now no more chirping.

Only chirped when engine was cold, and this was done during the cold fall/winter season here in NY.

Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:47 PM
MO POWR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So I had a problem getting it to the dealer wednsday so my appointment has been rescheduled.

In the meantime I have narrrowed the chirp down to the a/c belt. My harmonic balancer has almost zero wobble, so I will replace the a/c belt myself and see what happens. Most have said if it is the HB the chirp will come back after about 100 miles or so? Hopes this works as I have been having nightmares about the dealer replacing my HB along with all the scratches and broken items I am sure I will get in return.

I will update lateer
Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Put a Goodyear "Gatorback" belt on both a/c and serpentine. You should be able to find one at your local auto parts store - (autozone, Oriley, and maybe NAPA. If it still chirps after that, the problem is somewhere else. *guaranteed*
Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM
MO POWR
Instructor

Ok, could not find a gatorback belt local. However I did get a Gates belt from O'rielly. Since I narrowed the chirp to the A/C belt that is the only one I replaced. No more chirp!!!! We'll see if it comes back after some drive time. If so I may order a gatorback and try it. The GM belt I took off looked to be in perfect condition so I don't know why it chirped unless the pullies are off a tiny bit and it just rubbed it till it started to chirp? Ok so I'm about to go put some miles on my ride. Thanks for all the replies I'll keep ya posted!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
MO POWR
Instructor

109 miles on new belt and no chirp......yet.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to hear.. I'll put Gatorbacks on in the Spring. Gives me plenty of time to find a set.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Just order them from Summit.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by St.Char
Make sure you take some jacking pucs or hockey pucs with you and kindly ask them to use them under the car before lifting. Good Luck!

probably too late... they most likely cracked the rockers during pre-delivery
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 PM
MO POWR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
probably too late... they most likely cracked the rockers during pre-delivery
No cracks here! I will do everything I can before I take it to the dealer! It blows to have to spend your money on a brand new car that is under warranty. However a 1 inch scratch will hurt my soul more that a few hundred bucks will (if that's what it costs). I hope this fixes it.

It is amazing that the dealers I have had experiance with are so inconsiderate with customers cars. I realize there are some good dealers out there, I just havn't found them.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by St.Char
Make sure you take some jacking pucs or hockey pucs with you and kindly ask them to use them under the car before lifting. Good Luck!
Super idea!!

Quick Reply: Belt chirp HELP!