C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my Vette...electrical system acting crazy!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The car will turn off the interior lights automatically after 20 minutes.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 PM
BGAndrea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the button switch. What does that button do? I tried turning it and nothing dimmed? I pushed it and the courtesy lights did turn off. What is it supposed to do?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Did you get an owners manual with the car? All controls are described in detail. It dims the dash lights.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 AM
BGAndrea
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVRose
Did you get an owners manual with the car? All controls are described in detail. It dims the dash lights.
Thank you for your response. Yes, I read the owner's manual. Nothing happened when I turned the button. I will check again tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Richard Roys
Advanced

My 08 has had only a couple of things similar.
1) If I don't drive the car for more than a week it will not start, I'll call Onstar and they jump it off. BTW I will have for got to turn off my radar detector.
2) Only one place in town happens to be a southern maid donut shop and every time I park my car in front the key fob states not recognizing. I then put it in the slot in glove compartment and I am on my way. I have now parked my car a few doors down from the donut store and no problems now.
3) After reading this thread I am going to buy a new battery and see if that does not make a difference. Other than that I have enjoyed my car as much as I can.
Again thanks for the comments very helpful. Good luck & hope that you enjoy your new car.
If someone knows why my car might not like the donut shop please let me know why?
Sincerely R.R.III
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BGAndrea
Thank you for your response. Yes, I read the owner's manual. Nothing happened when I turned the button. I will check again tomorrow.
Since I love your avatar!

The dimmer switch works; it is just "slow". When your lights are on at night, turn the switch and the lights will slowly adjust in dim/brightness.

Elmer
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Likely because you have bumped or pressed the mirror light switch which is the "press in" part of the dash pad dimmer switch to the left of your steering wheel. Of course you could also have a door left ajar.

Check your passenger side door to make sure it is fully closed. Open the drivers side door and get in the car. Make sure the drivers door is closed completely once you are in the car. Wait at least 30 seconds and make sure that the lights have had time to go out. Make sure that the mirror switches are in the out (off) position and press the dimmer switch to the left of the steering wheel. This should turn your lights off.

You don't need to hold the switch to the left of your knee, it is a momentary press. Only try one switch at a time and wait at least 30 seconds between presses of each switch or other switches. In your quest to turn them off by the mirror lights you now have likely turned on the mirror lights and the dimmer switch won't turn them off initially.
Do as he says but have the car running push it once after all doors closed hold hand under mirror in daylight to see if they go off. buttons in on mirrors is off. You need to get owners manual and read how to turn off lights and set exit lighting. Turn it to the right at night and hold dash lights get bright turn to left and hold they dim.
z51vett

Last edited by z51vett; 09-01-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Richard Roys
...............Only one place in town happens to be a southern maid donut shop and every time I park my car in front the key fob states not recognizing. I then put it in the slot in glove compartment and I am on my way. I have now parked my car a few doors down from the donut store and no problems now.

If someone knows why my car might not like the donut shop please let me know why?
Sincerely R.R.III
Best guess is RF interference from the donut shop.

Most likely a P.O.S. (point of sale) system that uses RF to communicate with it's network.

These systems can be fairly powerful and could certainly disrupt your fob if it's close enough.

Placing the fob in the glove box slot is the designed solution for this problem. Or, as you've found, you can keep your car at a 'safe' distance.

Quick Reply: Just got my Vette...electrical system acting crazy!!! PLEASE HELP!!!