C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my Vette...electrical system acting crazy!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM
BGAndrea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer is saying 85-6YR. Is this correct?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:50 PM
BGAndrea
Advanced

Can I replace the battery myself? Is it just a matter of removing the terminals and pulling out?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 PM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You just spent 26k+ on your car but won't purchase a $100 battery to troubleshoot?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:59 PM
BGAndrea
Advanced

Originally Posted by bb996+r1
You just spent 26k+ on your car but won't purchase a $100 battery to troubleshoot?
When did I say that? Learn to read! I just asked in my one of my last posts if the battery change is something I could do myself. How is that refusal to change the battery?

Think before you write. If you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread, how about go do something else for awhile? Forums are supposed to be informative, educational, and all around helpful. You aren't any of these.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Simple to change. Remove terminals and one bolt to loosen the hold down clamp and lift it out sideways. And I agree with everyone here. Put a new battery in it and you'll be off and runnin. I don't want to offend anyone but Optima is at the bottom of my good battery list. I always go with Diehard batteries. You will have to reindex your windows when you get the new battery in. It's simple and in the manual.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

New battery and yes, you can do it yourself.

Elmer
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

yes, you can do it yourself. your friend is wrong about '08s and electrical problems. make sure the batt. is well charged up. a wise move would be to buy a batt. maintainer of any brand and use it, summer or winter, if the car's going to sit for more than a few days.

as my deli owner used to say, "it can't hoit"
Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree Autozone is a good deal!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BGAndrea
When did I say that? Learn to read! I just asked in my one of my last posts if the battery change is something I could do myself. How is that refusal to change the battery?

Think before you write. If you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread, how about go do something else for awhile? Forums are supposed to be informative, educational, and all around helpful. You aren't any of these.
Ya I think I pretty much agree with her on this one.. Comment was not needed.. That being said what worries me is that you said the battery was replaced a few times?? I have an 08 and have had no electrical problems although my battery did croke... Other than that I just drive the snot out of it..

/joe
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

this is why I keep a warrantee on a c6, too much electrical stuff.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 PM
NRVUZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedraider

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
The electronics on these cars provide them with fantstic capabilities, but can cause very frustrating problems that involve a lot more than simply replacing the battery.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:02 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

I agree, get a new battery, new fob batteries and you should be good to go. I have a 2008 vert 6 speed and it is a great car, Im very pleased with it.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer is saying 85-6YR. Is this correct?
Yes - but sometimes there is more than 1 'BCI group' battery that fits. Just make sure whoever you buy it from looks it up, that should cover you.

Can I replace the battery myself? Is it just a matter of removing the terminals and pulling out?
Absolutely. You just need to re-index the windows.

Originally Posted by talon90
It's your battery. Corvettes don't jump start well. A very dead battery will do nothing with a trickle charger. A battery can die in a month if the car is not used. A year old battery could have discharged 12 times. Once an OEM battery is is deep discharged, it never fully recovers.
As usual, well said.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
Yes - but sometimes there is more than 1 'BCI group' battery that fits. Just make sure whoever you buy it from looks it up, that should cover you.

Absolutely. You just need to re-index the windows.

As usual, well said.
Agreed, and a couple additional points:

1) Any starting battery that is deep discharged will not recover well, not just OEM.

2) A Battery can be discharged, but it also can be bad - an internal failure that kills a cell, for instance. Once this happens, a jump start may not even work and all the time in the world on a charger or maintainer won't help.

I agree with everyone else. Get a new battery. Make sure it is over 12v when the car is not running and about 13.5 volts when the car is running. You can definitely do it yourself, but be cautious... lots of electrical power there.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
ronkh
Instructor

I was over seas once for three months. Neglected to disconnect the battery before I left and it was stone dead when I returned (08 C6). Car wouldn't start, couldn't be jumped and when I connected a battery charger, the charger indicated that the battery was shorted. Borrowed a charger from a neighbor (bit more heavy duty) and left in on overnight. Next day the car started and everything worked fine. Two years later still had the same battery in it when I sold her. Just a thought, but the battery may be fine, just needing a good charge.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronkh
I was over seas once for three months. Neglected to disconnect the battery before I left and it was stone dead when I returned (08 C6). Car wouldn't start, couldn't be jumped and when I connected a battery charger, the charger indicated that the battery was shorted. Borrowed a charger from a neighbor (bit more heavy duty) and left in on overnight. Next day the car started and everything worked fine. Two years later still had the same battery in it when I sold her. Just a thought, but the battery may be fine, just needing a good charge.
Could be, but I would be willing to bet that your recharged battery never had near the capacity it had before going dead.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got my Vette...electrical system acting crazy!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 PM
BGAndrea
Advanced

Originally Posted by ronkh
My local dealer has a battery for me to pick up tomorrow. I left the battery maintainer plugged in overnight for curiosity sake...so we shall see in the AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I've been around this forum for 3 years and read about a few 08 with electrical issues, mainly dead batteries.
I have a 08 with no electrical issues but did change the battery when the car was 3 years old just for peace of mined.
Good luck and welcome to the forum, a lot of good people around here.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'm with the majority regarding the install of a new car battery.

That will not guarantee that you won't have more problems if the car is drawing too much current when it's off/at rest.

The dealer needs to check the parasitic draw on the new/fully charged battery after all the systems have shut down. This is a common test they should be familiar with.

Whenever you disconnect the battery you have to re-index the windows.

Congrats on your new car and welcome to the Forum.

Quick Reply: Just got my Vette...electrical system acting crazy!!! PLEASE HELP!!!