C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's always a few...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:48 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sibcoe
Thanks for the tips.

Are radar legal in CA? Can you explain #2 - I always thought the aircraft thing was like something they tried in the 60's that didn't work - you mean they are real? What is VASCAR and the large white line thing?

I agree on the exit on/off ramps and overpass stuff for sure, and under overpasses around here.
Speed timing over a known distance. The white lines just make it easier. Any 2 fixed points can be used. And there is no such thing as a stopwatch detector.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:42 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by snide
Instead, the OP posted here.
Couldn't agree more.

Reading many of the threads on here lead you to wonder what the originator's goal was. Cheers amigo.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
When you are doing 57 MPH -anything above 65 looks like 30 over I guess.
Especially when you think 57 is 65!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

There are 4 rules to live by.

Get a good radar detector. Know that it is only a tool.

1. ALWAYS keep your nose covered. Never speed if there is not a car in front of you.
2. If you pass a large white line look up or at the top of the overpass in front of you. Up for aircraft and the overpass for a LEO running VASCAR.
3. ALWAYS look up the onramp as you pass them. LEOs love to use them for observation/
4. If you see a fast moving car coming up your rear-SLOW DOWN. Let them go in front and use them as a rabbit. Or it is/was an LEO trying to pace you.

Situational awareness is key.
Good rules to live by here. Also at night any headlights gaining on you should be assumed to be a LEO until proven otherwise.

I personally never like having a rabbit or having someone try and use me for a rabbit.

The Vette is a naturally stealth design, with radar having a hard time getting a long range lock. I choose to utilize this advantage and hope they try and lock with time for me to scrub enough speed. It's worked so far, the only two close calls I have had they shot too far away, even though at the time I thought I was toast.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Kerry G
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
You know, this forum never ceases to amaze me... I don't see where the OP stated he was driving in the left lane.. yet you all are SO quick to flame him, and he was doing 10 over the posted limit. As usual you all jump to conclusions.

Then there is the fact that the speed limit is what it is.. I don't care what the flow of traffic is..the law is the law.. you don't lilke it run for office, or lobby to get it changed. Don't critize people that follow it.

Just amazing you are flaming the guy for doing 65 in a 55. It would be different if he was purposefluly sitting in the left lane holding up traffic that wanted to get by..fine, but that does not seem to be the case.

Almost nobody here took any issue with the MORON in the black vette doing more than 30 MPH over the limit, and weaving in an out of traffic. What some of you don't realize is that you might think you are in control and you are..but people don't see you coming up that quick. THe average SANE person does not imagine there will be a car going a 100mph in a 55 every day.

I am no saint myself.. I go 70, or whatever the flow of traffic is..but I am not going to flame or get pizzed at somebody for going 65 in a 55. Some of you need your Head examined.
Couldn't agree more. Amazing how some condone "their" breaking of the law. I wonder if their children or grandchildren were run over or t-boned by some knucklehead doing what they find no problem with, what they would then say.
Because a vette can go fast or "that's why I bought mine" won't cut it with the Judge when you're standing before him charged with manslaughter or vehicular homicide. Think you'll beat the speeding rap? Ever hear of a little black box?

After peeling a few dozen fools off a tree, guard rail or telephone pole in my career we had a saying " everything's OK, until it isn't OK".

Last edited by ladder13; 08-27-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 PM
05C6B4U
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are lying your *** off. You did brake check me. You were in the left lane for a good mile before I caught up to you. Then you SLOWED down to further impede me. The only thing you didn't do is the old man angry fist wave.

Please do us all a favor and never go to Europe and embarrass us there.
Well, I can't throw stones @ VatorMan cus' I've done my fair share of what he "allegedly" did on that day. One can not stay in the left-lane unless one is driving at a higher rate of speed than other vehicles. And by higher rate of speed, I mean travelling well in excess of the posted speed. Left-lane, pass and get over, simple. Or drive like it like you stole it!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 PM
05C6B4U
Instructor

Wait?! There is video of the "Event" in question?! Sequence taken approx 10 seconds before the "Event" took place!!
Video Black Corvette seen travelling at a high rate of speed!
* Total But it is a cool vid!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:49 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Default pushers

I drive to work each morning very near the speed limit. As I pass a slow car or truck, I don't speed up. As I progress around, the speeders ride my bumper to push me out of the way. As soon as possible, I move over. Then as I approach another slow mover, the speeders speed up more to close gaps rather than slowing a little in consideration of others. Amazing thing is, they think it inconsiderate for me to pass another car and slow them, but they think nothing of cutting me off to cause me to slow for the car in front of me.
It makes me think I should stay in the left lane until I pass all the slow cars within sight. That thought makes me wonder. Maybe the inconsiderate speeders that can't tolerate any slower traffic in their lane is why people aren't so quick to pull back to the right.

As for the weaving back and forth, earlier today I saw an 18 wheeler pulling that one. A few weeks ago, I saw a guy in a small car make one of those moves a little too fast. He spun it and ended up ramming the median wall. Fortunately he was OK, and nobody else rammed him.
Exposing others to risks wouldn't be a concern for our speeding friends since everyone driving a Vette is highly skilled and would never make a mistake. Hmmm. Wonder what the accident reports involving Vettes might reveal - slow driver obeying laws at fault?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM
MidwesternVette
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Hello,

It's always a good idea to drive according to your ability.

Speed limits are set so the little old lady with poor vision and a 30 year old car can safely drive the roadways.

A 40-50 year old guy that has good vision and coordination driving a modern Corvette with huge brakes can safely drive a little faster if he understands he must give the little old lady some extra room because she just may switch lanes for unknown reasons.

So it's okay to drive according to your personal ability.

Douglas in Green Bay

hey douglas i am also from the green bay area....on 41 im the fastest car if im going 74 in a 65 lol
Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cartop2
I drive to work each morning very near the speed limit. As I pass a slow car or truck, I don't speed up. As I progress around, the speeders ride my bumper to push me out of the way. As soon as possible, I move over. Then as I approach another slow mover, the speeders speed up more to close gaps rather than slowing a little in consideration of others. Amazing thing is, they think it inconsiderate for me to pass another car and slow them, but they think nothing of cutting me off to cause me to slow for the car in front of me.
It makes me think I should stay in the left lane until I pass all the slow cars within sight. That thought makes me wonder. Maybe the inconsiderate speeders that can't tolerate any slower traffic in their lane is why people aren't so quick to pull back to the right.
uugghhh... just stay in the right lane, never slowdown the passing lane, period...
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 PM
jimb77
Pro

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
When that happens to me it is usually a Prius!
Chrysler 300 or Magnum or Audi, rarely a vette.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

These signs say it ALL

Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't care how fast you are going if you are weaving thru traffic or cruising in the left lane then you need to learn how to drive. Speed is not the issue as the Germans manage to not kill each other on their Autobahns. And 90 isn't even close to the max speeds there. But you won't see someone cruising in the left lane or speed up to block you either. I usually go with the flow. If it is the speed limit then that is what I do, if it is 10 over then I usually stay at that speed. Although I was doing about 5 over on I-15 near Mesquite, NV and they had a BIG speed trap there. About 10 cars at once. Cop let me go by. The cars that passed me a couple minutes earlier were parked on the side of the road waiting their "turn".
Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Hoog
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Hey David, I am 68, born and raised in our country, and served so someone like you has Freedom of Speech to post crap. By the way, English is my main language.

The "man's own words" you refer to were posted by the other guy in this dumb pissing contest: VatorMan. He posted the unsubstantiated 57MPH you refer to, the same as the OP posted his equally unsubstantiated 65.

Once again, that is why I posted my "he said, she said" comment. Did you read and understand that?

First, thank you for your service.

Now...read this part slowly,
The OP first claims that the other driver blew past doing at least 90. The OP then claims that when he first saw him, he was 6" off his rear bumper. Both statements cannot be true. He shot his own story in the foot.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 AM
GEODON
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
Ever hear of a little black box?
what do dat do?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JScottH3
Flame me all you want. I didn't 'brake check' anybody -the first time I saw him, he was about 6" off my rear bumper. The point is that kind of driving should be done on the track, NOT a public highway.
Good Point

Originally Posted by ohmy
Amen to that!

You see a guy coming up fast behind you, get outa his way before he's on your ****
Good Point

Originally Posted by jackhall99
David, that's a moderator you're dissing. He's being kind. Maybe you should read this and understand what he is politely telling folks.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...ng-videos.html

Your very astute and make a Very good Point. I have thick skin, we'll see where this goes.

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
if everyone driving slow in the left lane (which is ONLY USED FOR PASSING, MIND YOU--NOT LOLLY GAGGING LIKE ITS A SUNDAY AFTERNOON) the world and this thread would be a happier place.
Good Point. Also, driving right except to pass is also a law.

There are 4 rules to live by.

Get a good radar detector. Know that it is only a tool.

1. ALWAYS keep your nose covered. Never speed if there is not a car in front of you.
2. If you pass a large white line look up or at the top of the overpass in front of you. Up for aircraft and the overpass for a LEO running VASCAR.
3. ALWAYS look up the onramp as you pass them. LEOs love to use them for observation/
4. If you see a fast moving car coming up your rear-SLOW DOWN. Let them go in front and use them as a rabbit. Or it is/was an LEO trying to pace you.

Situational awareness is key.
Lets teach folks how to break the law. Not a good point.

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
These signs say it ALL

That is a great photo shop, mind if I steal it?

Point is that there is a time and place for everything. Be reasonable and use good common sense so you don't hurt anyone.

Most importantly, lets not make personal insults the point of the thread. Lets have courteous discourse and things will be fine.

Anyone in the path of Irene, please stay safe.

Get notified of new replies

To There's always a few...

Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^^ Good points!!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

NOTHING LIKE A PLASTIC CAR GOING FAST......OR SLOW

Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Jaxon
Pro

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I don't care how fast you are going if you are weaving thru traffic or cruising in the left lane then you need to learn how to drive. Speed is not the issue as the Germans manage to not kill each other on their Autobahns. And 90 isn't even close to the max speeds there. But you won't see someone cruising in the left lane or speed up to block you either. I usually go with the flow. If it is the speed limit then that is what I do, if it is 10 over then I usually stay at that speed. Although I was doing about 5 over on I-15 near Mesquite, NV and they had a BIG speed trap there. About 10 cars at once. Cop let me go by. The cars that passed me a couple minutes earlier were parked on the side of the road waiting their "turn".
There have been numerous studies in this country and others that indicate highways with higher speed limits produce lower death rates. Do-gooders refuse to believe this and make it their personal goal to make everyone slow down. They are impeding people that actually have someplace to go and they are a menace to traffic flow. All of you on your soapboxes about speeders endangering you or your family... if you are afraid to be on the highway, then take a surface street and leave the highway to people that aren't cowards.

Quick Reply: There's always a few...