C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Service Nightmare - (rant/long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM
KCC6Vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Dealership Service Nightmare - (rant/long)

Dealership has kept me out of my convertible essentially all summer. I hope this never happens to a fellow Forum member. Today is August 26th, and they have my car AGAIN.

June 10th. Just getting into prime convertible season. Hit a big pothole on the Interstate. Bend a wheel and crack the passenger-side rocker in two spots.

June 11th. Nationwide initiates the claim, we drop the ‘vert at the dealership and they tear into the car for an estimate. It took nearly 3 weeks to work the car into their schedule. I check back a couple of times a week to watch the body work progress. They do an AMAZING repair on the rockers! All that’s left is alignment, reinstall new wheel/tire, and check for any other suspension damage. Now is when the fun begins.

First week of July – I start calling asking when I’ll get my car back. It has now been out of the paint booth for several days. Soon is the only answer I can get. Beautiful weather – no car.

I go up to check the progress myself, and all they need to do is mount the new wheel/tire, and do an alignment/suspension check. I beg them to do that as quickly as possible so I can get back to enjoying the weather.

July 8th. Friday night. Beautiful night for a top-down ride. Go to pick up the car, but it hasn’t come back from “detail”. They promise me the car Saturday.

July 9th. Go to pick up the car, and it looks like it was washed by the Jr. High band at their fundraiser. No way in hell anyone could classify this as a “detail”. The Corvette sill plate decal has not been installed. My advisor hands it to me in the box and says to make another appointment so they can fix that.

July 9th. Go home and clean the car. While I’m working on it, I notice the wheel they replaced isn’t correct. I suspect it is a reproduction, so I go to remove it. The first 4 lug nuts I remove were torque at well over 200 ft/lbs. I can’t get the 5th lug nut off because it is CROSS THREADED! Now I’m pissed. I call the dealership and they ask me to bring it in. They can’t work it into their schedule until Monday, so I’m without the car yet another weekend.

July 11th. I get the car home, pull the front wheel, and sure enough it is a Chinese replica. I was signed up for a HPDE that weekend, and no way I’m doing that on a Chinese replica. I call the dealership and inform them about the wheel. They don’t believe me, so I e-mail pictures of their imitation wheel and a genuine GM, Speedline, forged wheel. I also contact Nationwide and ask why they authorized a non-GM part. Nationwide said that decision was made by the dealership, but they would authorize the genuine OEM replacement.

Since then, I have been waiting on my OEM wheel to arrive. Twice the dealership called to let me know the new wheel arrived, but was “scratched” or “scuffed”. During this time, I’ll drive a little around town, but don’t want to get out on the highway because of the miss-matched wheels. So no road trips, no overnight trips, no real way to enjoy the car.

Last week after an extended period of no news from the dealer, I called and asked about my wheel. It was in, but they “forgot” to call me and schedule an install. “We’ve been really busy – I’m sure you understand” is what they say. We schedule the install for this past Wednesday (8/24). Dealership called at 3:45 and said they had “scuffed” the wheel mounting the tire. Said they had ordered a wheel to be overnighted and would have it done Thursday. Called last night, and no wheel. Car is still sitting at the dealership. However, they were able to stick the stinkin' door sill decal on.

Based on our Wednesday appointment, my wife and I scheduled a trip across the state this weekend. However, our car is sitting at the dealership. Nobody there can give me a concrete answer about when it will be ready. 85 degrees here today. Not a cloud in sight, and my convertible is sitting in the shop while some guy named Homer sits on the fender and drinks a Pepsi. Weekend trip is canceled. Now the wife is pissed! She's hopping a plane for Vegas for the weekend. I'll stay home to deal with this.

I’m solidly in the middle-class. I worked long and hard for the car that I’ve wanted since seeing my first Vette when I was 7. This entire experience has become such a large frustration all I can think about now is selling the car and wiping the dust of this whole mess off my boots.

If you’re in the Kansas City area, shoot me a PM, and I’ll let you know which dealership. If they can’t mount a tire on a wheel, can’t install it according to torque specs, and can’t do that without cross threading a lug nut, I can pretty well assure you, this place is a dealership you don’t want to patronize.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Last edited by KCC6Vert; 08-26-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: edit
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Btw, i do NOT believe that speedlines are forged. Their cast. At least Z06 (original Z06 wheel) are cast.

Sorry for the trouble. IMO okto say who the stealership is
Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Please, tell everyone the name of the stealership!!! You wouldn't want another member to have to go thru what you went thru. I myself have made it my crusade in life to keep people away from Selman Chevorlet in Orange, Ca. They have the worst service department and I want all CF members to be warned.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
bbudman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A service department can make or break a dealership. It's just a shame that many don't understand that. I used to work in a dealer service department and one of the first things you are told is to remember when a customer has a problem with their car they are usually upset. It is up to the service advisor and service manager to make sure that the customer gets the work done correctly and in a timely manner. One of the worst things you can do to destroy that relationship with the customer is to lie about the progress on their car because a customer could show up at the dealership at any time and catch you in that lie. The other thing you have to do is communicate with the customer and stay in touch. I would call my customers daily to give them status updates on the work. Finally, I would never call a customer to pick up their car until I did a complete inspection of the work as well as the condition of the vehicle. Let a customer get in their $50k car and find grease on the steering wheel and seats? Not good!!! When you treat the customer with this kind of respect you not only gain their future service business but the dealership stands a good chance of repeat vehicle sales!

I understand your frustration but don't take it out on your Corvette because of a bad dealer service department. You worked hard for the car that you wanted and once you get it back you will be all smiles once again. Think of it as a learning experience. You now know you need to find a new dealer to service your baby!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Is the body shop the dealers or a independent they subbed the body work out to?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Wow I would be going elsewhere at this point and good luck with getting the final repair
Old 08-26-2011, 12:08 PM
KCC6Vert
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Ketchum
Is the body shop the dealers or a independent they subbed the body work out to?
Unfortunately, it is the dealership's body shop. The body work was absolutely amazing (I actually gave the body technician a $50.00 gift card). Unfortunately this was a service adviser who has more tickets than he can handle, coupled with a shop that has more business than they can handle correctly, topped off with incredibly unprofessional service technicians.

I'm going to give this thing until the end of the day. I hate to call anyone out, but if things don't work out today, I'll post the dealer name.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ufso
Please, tell everyone the name of the stealership!!! You wouldn't want another member to have to go thru what you went thru. I myself have made it my crusade in life to keep people away from Selman Chevorlet in Orange, Ca. They have the worst service department and I want all CF members to be warned.
Yes, I do believe that telling the name might save someone else some aggravation.

Oh, and I think Selman Chev. in Orange is just great. But that is just me.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

I think both you and the dealership share in this to some extent. The wheel could have been replaced before the body shop got around to fixing the body and you could have driven the car in the meantime. As far as the repro wheel being on the car there wouldn't have been any issue driving the car across country since the wheels really weren't mismatched. Same size and offset, tire fits on the wheel why would you be concerned? So it weighs a little more. That isn't something you will notice putt putting around in a Vert. Maybe on the track at 10/10s you might not get quite the same performance but it would take an expert driver to feel the difference.

Bill
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
rchbn
Pro

To OP file a complaint with your local BBB. I use the BBB when deciding on contractors, movers etc. This will help other people that aren't corvette owners as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You went wrong at step one.

Unless you went to 5 local dealerships and really got a feel for how they are run, then its crap shoot.

How fast, informative, and courteous were they on first call ??

When you test them:

-How does your schedule look?
-Do you have ASE Certified Master Tech who works on Corvettes?
-Do you know exact parts this need, in stock, back order, what?
- Do you know book time for this job +/- hrs

How is there waiting area? dirty, stained furniture: your car will be too

Coffee area: old machine, yellow creamer, nasty cups....your car will look like this

Play area: toys from 1980s....your cars will be worked on with tools from same era

Service Manager: looks like a schlup, bad clothes, lame...expect same when you call in for updates.

Compare above: to Super clean, modern, showroom; with smart, Courteous Service Manger in new GM Polo and pressed pants ready to serve.

I just surveyed 6 dealers in my local area for service on an exotic ($2,300); even got recommendation. First dealer in rich town...dropped the ball, at second 1. Left message at 11am. I call back 2 pm. " Oh we are a union shop, out to lunch, guy not in, blah....

vs. Mom & Pop dealer that got my business

Service Mgr come out and clears out 3 cars to waiting bay for my ride; printout ready of service recommendation, fluids/parts on shelf special ordered, updates to come at 6pm, 9am next day and 3pm final (yes, thats 3 calls to tell me all OK)

They were flawless.

Most people do more research on a $1000 LCD TV or Washing Machine than handing keys to their $50K ride.

Ask hard questions AND RUN, DONT WALK, when they even hesitate with crap answer/service thats not flawless.

Its a massive recession; YOU HAVE $$$, USE Your POWER!!!

Last edited by Kevin_NYC; 08-26-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I think both you and the dealership share in this to some extent. The wheel could have been replaced before the body shop got around to fixing the body and you could have driven the car in the meantime. As far as the repro wheel being on the car there wouldn't have been any issue driving the car across country since the wheels really weren't mismatched. Same size and offset, tire fits on the wheel why would you be concerned? So it weighs a little more. That isn't something you will notice putt putting around in a Vert. Maybe on the track at 10/10s you might not get quite the same performance but it would take an expert driver to feel the difference.

Bill
Agree here. I think you're kind of making a big deal out of the wheel situation that they are going to take care of; they just are kind of incapable of getting the timing right. The car is still safe to drive as there are many Chinese wheels running around attached to Corvettes.
Also, you were crazy about the body shop which was the most important part of the fix, so maybe give them a break on the wheel.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

If it was a dealer body shop I'd po'ed at the use of a aftermarket wheel. Must be obviously different then factory? It didn't stop the car from being used.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Pecanman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC

Unless you went to 5 local dealerships and really got a feel for how they are run, then its crap shoot.

When you test them:

Coffee area: old machine, yellow creamer, nasty cups....your car will look like this

Play area: toys from 1980s....your cars will be worked on with tools from same era

Service Manager: looks like a schlup, bad clothes, lame...expect same when you call in for updates.

Compare above: to Super clean, modern, showroom; with smart, Courteous Service Manger in new GM Polo and pressed pants ready to serve.

I just surveyed 6 dealers in my local area for service on an exotic ($2,300); even got recommendation. First dealer in rich town...dropped the ball, at second 1. Left message at 11am. I call back 2 pm. " Oh we are a union shop, out to lunch, guy not in, blah....

Service Mgr come out and clears out 3 cars to waiting bay for my ride; printout ready of service recommendation, fluids/parts on shelf special ordered, updates to come at 6pm, 9am next day and 3pm final (yes, thats 3 calls to tell me all OK)

They were flawless.

Most people do more research on a $1000 LCD TV or Washing Machine than handing keys to their $50K ride.

Ask hard questions AND RUN, DONT WALK, when they even hesitate with crap answer/service thats not flawless.

What we need here is a "sticky" on how to administer your service request(s) when dealing with a dealership or any repair shop that can conduct competent and authorized repairs.

To add to the above:

Document needed/required service in WRITING---not verbally. If possible do so via email and in writing when the you deliver the vehicle to the Service Writer. Make sure that every word is replicated to the Service Repair order.

Document all existing flaws on the exterior and interior on the Repair Order.

Document what Technician will complete the work and if deviated to notify you directly for approval.

NEXT recommendation from the Forum...?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems OP and I sympathize with your dilemma...

I took my '09 Z06 to the local Chevy dealership here in town to have my tires replaced. Stock comp grey rims mind you and I was putting brand new Goodyear run flats on it just like stock. The dealership removed my rims and quickly realized once they put the wheel on their machine they had no way to perform the tire removal or re-mounting without scratching up the rims. They returned my car and told me to take it down the road and have the local tire shop do the work.

Pretty bad they are unable to service what they sell.

U.M.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC

When you test them:

They were flawless.

You are correct on every count. IMO most people don't ask enough questions about their cars when going in for service, repairs etc. because they themselves don't know the truth about the answers they get. Meaning, they don't know the technical aspects and what the correct answers should be. They are hoping because they have an expensive car, that the dealership will be honest and fair.
Kind of the way some repair people treat a female. They think, well she doesn't know any better. They can say anything.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Now hold on about "I'm a women being taken advantage of thing." I heard that for years and honestly I never saw that being the case in places I ran or worked at. Never. Many accusations about service writers and service managers doing such but no fact. Usually the women got a few breaks on rental or services.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership Service Nightmare - (rant/long)

Old 08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Honestly I'd just be happy that the bodywork was done right, and it sounds like they'll eventually get the right wheel for you. You've got a like a 10% chance at good bodywork out there and body shop work never goes per schedule.

Yes, I'd be annoyed. But the reproduction wheel is perfectly safe, no reason to ground the car. I'd be annoyed but in the end it doesn't seem like you are going to be out much. Just making it worse by dwelling on it.

I should say that I've had a GM dealer accuse me of forging GM certified paperwork before when trying to get warranty work 1 week after buying the car. So my expectations of GM dealers are pretty low. Some around me would have accused you of swapping the wheel out.

Last edited by Slare; 08-26-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketchum
Now hold on about "I'm a women being taken advantage of thing." I heard that for years and honestly I never saw that being the case in places I ran or worked at. Never. Many accusations about service writers and service managers doing such but no fact. Usually the women got a few breaks on rental or services.
Sorry, didn't mean to insult or hurt anyone's feelings. Just an old stereotype, used to make a point. It happens to men all the time. We like to think we know what we're talking about when going in for service. I was agreeing with the OP on his point of asking the right questions, so a good evaluation of the dealership can be made. But if you don't know the correct answer to look for, you will be taken advantage of.

Please accept my apology.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 PM
KCC6Vert
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Thanks, everyone for the replies!

This is why I love the Forum. Good suggestions, and great advice about remaining calm. I guess I'm probably touchy about the wheels with some cause. When I bought the car, it was nearly flawless, but both passenger wheels were rashed. I went on an insane, winter-long quest to find a flawless set of the 5 spoke chrome wheels to replace my OEM wheels. So I had a lot of time and emotion tied up in the wheels.

The discussion of OEM vs. reproduction is interesting. I spent quite a bit of time considering reproductions when I replaced the rashed wheels. Ultimately I went the route of OEM because I was told the following by several reliable vendors, and if I purchased OEM, the driver side take offs can serve as front and rear spares:
1. Speedlines = Forged.
2. Reproduction = Cast.
3. Reproduction = More weight.
4. You can run all repro or all OEM, but BAD idea to run a mix due to the weight differences. I'm sure there are Forum members who have technical opinions about this topic, or are educated about the physics involved, but since I"m not an expert in either area, I had to rely on the advice I received from the people I contacted. There were no exceptions when I asked about running a mixed setup.

The other interesting thing I found is the reproduction wheel the dealer put on took about 3 times the number of wheel weights to balance.

All-in-all, I'm thrilled with the body work, but disappointed I lost so much seat time this summer.

After kicking this around with our in-house legal counsel at work, I better refrain from posting the dealership name. But, again, if you are in KC, particularly the southern Johnson County area, send me a PM and I'll share what I know.

Quick Reply: Dealership Service Nightmare - (rant/long)