C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should me and my car be worried about Irene

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lee_mcrae
Yea i decided im gonna stay and ride it out i just took pics of everything i own just in case something does happen and i need to use my insurance company.
I would run like hell, this is a big MF and the bad part is its moving slow. That means alot of rain sitting on you and it adds up fast.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:28 PM
gmmcgar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't take a chance,,I live in Houston,,went through IKE in 2008 and Alicia 1983 both were Cat 1's and both tore up Houston. No way I would chance a Cat 2 or above; get out while you can
Old 08-26-2011, 04:37 PM
bbudman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few questions for you. Do you have a place to put you vehicle inside? Are there any trees within falling range of you home and property? Is your property subject to flooding with 4" plus rain? If you can answer yes to any of these questions then I suggest you find somewhere to go for the weekend.

I grew up in North Carolina and even lived on the beach for several years. I re-located back to Raleigh in the spring of 1996. In September 1996 I went through Hurricane Fran in Raleigh and saw just how powerful mother nature could really be! We were 130 miles inland but it didn't matter. we had twelve trees fall with two on my truck, two on my boat, and four on the house! No power for over a week. No phone for six weeks. No cable for three months! We had no flooding but I lived on high ground. Many others were not as lucky.

Yes, I went through it but if it but I don't ever want to do that again.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Calm down, it's hardly a hurricane now, winds are less than 90 mph, and it's supposed to become a tropical storm in the next day or so. 90 mph is strong though, so watch out.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrash
Calm down, it's hardly a hurricane now, winds are less than 90 mph, and it's supposed to become a tropical storm in the next day or so. 90 mph is strong though, so watch out.
Still showing 100 mph with gusts to 120.. that's more then enough to do tremendous damage to say nothing of tidal surge in certain areas. Has a good chance to pick up wind speed with the Atlantic so warm at the moment.... I live 60 miles from the coast but am prepared as I can be... Everything locked down, propane for several weeks running everything on 12 kw gen set, satellite TV, provisions and battery powered radio just in case!

Been without power for over 2 weeks after a freak late season snow storm and vowed NEVER again! I say you prepare for the worst, hope for the best! I would not want to be in any low lying areas if we get the amount of rain, tidal surge and wind forecast for parts of New England....

Hope everyone stays safe and this thing completely fizzles out or simply heads out to sea....
Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

It doesn't matter whether it's a cat 2 or a cat 1. It's the size of the storm. If size counts baby, this is it. This storm is 400 miles wide last I heard. It's gonna take a long time to pass.

I am trying to get a 40' dead white Pine cut down in the AM. It's on my neighbors property but leaning my way. He has poo-pood it for years. Probably gonna be outa my pocket. It can hit my garage and you know what's inside. Insurance ain't gona do it, I have 2% deductable which is 11K.

While I type this, just got a reverse 911 call from first selectman town of Westport , CT. It's a code RED! Advised by CL&P power could be out for weeks!!!!

Got one question for you bunky. Can you swim?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:46 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the projected path of the cone where the hurricane could travel, Greenville is within that cone. It is the amount of rain that could result from the hurricane that you should be mostly concerned about, and the real possibility of local flooding. As others have suggested I would park it in the upper floor of a parking garage, or at least on high ground.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
torque*is*cheap
Instructor

Luckily, Corvettes float well. GM was thinking ahead with the balsa floorboards.

Seriously, though, do you have a relative who lives a bit more inland? If so, I'd take a little road trip right about now.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in Wilmington De, pretty far from the coast but still expecting very heavy rain and high winds. My Z06 is parked in my garage but I'm afraid of the door getting blown in on it. Going to park my FJ Cruiser in front of the door in hopes of providing some type of a shield. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 PM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

CAT 2 - you better get the heck out of the way and get your cars above bloddie sea level ...

anyone that says no problem - has not been in one and is an ID 10 T.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
It doesn't matter whether it's a cat 2 or a cat 1. It's the size of the storm. If size counts baby, this is it. This storm is 400 miles wide last I heard. It's gonna take a long time to pass.

I am trying to get a 40' dead white Pine cut down in the AM. It's on my neighbors property but leaning my way. He has poo-pood it for years. Probably gonna be outa my pocket. It can hit my garage and you know what's inside. Insurance ain't gona do it, I have 2% deductable which is 11K.

While I type this, just got a reverse 911 call from first selectman town of Westport , CT. It's a code RED! Advised by CL&P power could be out for weeks!!!!

Got one question for you bunky. Can you swim?
Funny you should mention TREES! Just 2 weeks ago my buddy and I dropped 2 large Birch (about 60 ft) that were leaning toward my garage and my VETTE! When we cut the butt log on one of them it was almost completely hollow inside... Turns out a top branch had broken years ago and water had been going through it like a river... Do not think it would have survived any high winds from a hurricane. Very lucky on my timing to take them down because they were really close to the house... WHEWWWWWWWWWW!!

As you say it's the SIZE of this thing that's troubling. Lets hope it weakens and/or heads much much further EAST......... Good luck down there by the way.........
Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why take a chance, take the Vette and go to the mountains for the weekend!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

"Should me and my car be worried about Irene"

Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 360 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 PM
cgiff
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

went though Katrina,leave if you can.Your elevation is one thing,trees are house killers.Pictures of valueables,insurance policies,anything that
can't be replaced(family photograghs).Good luck! Craig.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Bigrightwinger
Advanced

For those that remember 2008, Hurricane Ike was "only at Cat 2". Houston was devastated. Sometimes it isn't just the windspeed, but the size of the storm. I would take the Vette on a nice vacation inland!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM
cgiff
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Leave an answer mahine on your phone.You can call home and see if power is on.

Get notified of new replies

To Should me and my car be worried about Irene

Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM
ronkh
Instructor

Your elevation is the main thing. Wind will scare the hell out of you, but storm surge will kill you. We've evacuated 4 times. Elena in 85, Georges in 98, Isidore in 02, Katrina in 05. First three we would have been ok staying home, uncomfortable but ok. Katrina put 5 ft. of water in our house and floated my car into the garage door. We're still getting over that one. If you have to ask "should I leave" then just go.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 PM
titans1979
Intermediate

Jump in your vette and head west till its over. This hurricane is the size of Europe. Why take chances.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 PM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Are you gone yet??? Best heed the advice and get a couple hundred miles inland. Why risk it. You certainly can't do anything to stop the storm and it is going to hit hard in your area.

Quick Reply: Should me and my car be worried about Irene