C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ctek 3300 Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ctek 3300 Update

Problem? ...No Problem.
A few months ago I posted my Ctek was charging and battery was dead.
I installed a new battery and "IT APPEARED" the Ctek wouldn't shut
off, so I put my wife's Ctek on my C6.

It was "low voltage" on the new battery and there was no problem
with the Ctek, as it goes through about 8 levels of charge.

Nothing wrong with my 3 year old Ctek, it's on my C6 now.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:41 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

A lot of people make the same mistake. Those small units are battery "maintainers" not chargers. They only work to keep a fully charged battery that way, not revive a dead one.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I got the cigarette lighter attachment and it completely discharged the battery, now I'm afraid to try using it again
Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cuspid
I got the cigarette lighter attachment and it completely discharged the battery, now I'm afraid to try using it again
I used the battery terminal lugs connection method and ran the cord up to the front grill. the plug is zip tied out of sight so I only have to plug the female end of the ctek charger to this plug when I exit the car. no fuss..no muss.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:34 AM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used a CTEK 3300 with the cigarette lighter attachment in the center console for three years and haven't had any problems.
Twice I thought I had a problem but it turned out not to be a fault of the CTEK. First time turned out to be a loose piece on the cigarette lighter plug that was apparently made to work in two different sizes of socket. There is a little red piece that actually tightens onto the plug. Mine had the piece on, but not twisted tightly into place, causing the plug to not seat properly. The other time the wall socket ground fault had popped so the charger was not receiving any power. Neither of those was the fault of the CTEK.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cuspid
It can happen, but may not be the fault of either the cig plug, or the unit. First, when you plug it in, there's a big round button on the left. And a smaller yellow light on the lower row that lights up---all that tells you is power is on to the unit. There are two rows of three smaller lights to the right of the big button.

Next, you have to press the big button twice so that amber lights up for the car symbol and the battery symbol in each row. One will turn green when the battery is charged, then amber later on when the level sinks. It will then trigger the maintainer to apply charge to the battery until the green comes on.

Finally, every time you disconnect the maintainer and turn it off, it needs to be reset. Otherwise, all you have is a maintainer that's doing nothing, but the power is on.

I learned all this by doing and expecting for it to "just work after I plugged it in" (that's the way my Schumacher had been) and as well after the GFI was tripped by lightning and it sat there with power but doing nothing.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:07 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

hmmm...maybe I missed something but I have not had to reset my ctek since I first installed it. I just plug it up and it does its thing.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

different models, different power to car source, even different basics of same model. even the 3300 fr. gm is different from the "store bought." I know you're right because others have said that theirs is just plug and play, but not all are the same way. for instance, both jwf and I have experienced the infrequent turning off of power via a tripped GFI, and the subsequent power-on-but-no-charging of the 3300.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
different models, different power to car source, even different basics of same model. even the 3300 fr. gm is different from the "store bought." I know you're right because others have said that theirs is just plug and play, but not all are the same way. for instance, both jwf and I have experienced the infrequent turning off of power via a tripped GFI, and the subsequent power-on-but-no-charging of the 3300.
thanks...now i'm in the know as i thought they were created equal.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:25 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Also remember there is a fuse in the CTEK cigarret attachment
Old 08-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
A lot of people make the same mistake. Those small units are battery "maintainers" not chargers. They only work to keep a fully charged battery that way, not revive a dead one.
Yeah a lot of tenders are maintainers, but not the Ctek 3300.
It IS a charger as well as a maintainer as well as a de-sulfate and
will charge up to 4.5 amps.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:07 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Triumph Jerry
Yeah a lot of tenders are maintainers, but not the Ctek 3300.
It IS a charger as well as a maintainer as well as a de-sulfate and
will charge up to 4.5 amps.
I've used it to bring back several batteries from the dead that a regular charger couldn't do anything with. Seems that after a battery moderately sulfates, it is pretty much written off. The Ctek 3300 can bring these back to life - it may take a day or two though.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I've used it to bring back several batteries from the dead that a regular charger couldn't do anything with. Seems that after a battery moderately sulfates, it is pretty much written off. The Ctek 3300 can bring these back to life - it may take a day or two though.
I have a 05 and use a Ctek 3300. I just replaced the battery. The AC Delco lasted 5 years. The problems started last year when I would occasionally get a "Service Traction .." message. I would simply restart the car and all was fine, until Ctek finally could not fully charge the battery after three days.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:31 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Not true. They just take longer to charge a low automotive battery ranging to a couple of days. It took 2.5 days to charge a group 24 battery using Deltran's battery tender...the wall transformer type.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:30 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Not true. They just take longer to charge a low automotive battery ranging to a couple of days. It took 2.5 days to charge a group 24 battery using Deltran's battery tender...the wall transformer type.
Just because you can does not mean you should. Use the right tool for the job.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:53 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Just because you can does not mean you should. Use the right tool for the job.
Interesting comment, I don't see the validity of the statement, if you have the time and it's the only tool available, it will work just fine and won't harm the charger. I did this about 10 years ago and the same charger is on the Corvette in Arizona where heat is a significant factor.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Interesting comment, I don't see the validity of the statement, if you have the time and it's the only tool available, it will work just fine and won't harm the charger. I did this about 10 years ago and the same charger is on the Corvette in Arizona where heat is a significant factor.
If you have three days to charge a battery then have at it. I have better things to do with my time.

Get notified of new replies

To Ctek 3300 Update

Old 05-08-2020, 11:24 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

To each their own I guess. Looking at the documentation, CTek calls their 3300 product a 'Charger'. Their troubleshooting section says that the product will not function unless the battery is at 2 (two) v minimum - now that seems like an extremely dead battery to me, and the absence of a statement cautioning the use of the product in those conditions indicates to me the product is designed to attempt to revive and charge such a battery. I know I've revived a battery that started at 4.7 v - not that it was much good at subsequently holding the charge for an extended period, but it did charge up to above 12.5 v. The 3300 gets a little warm when aggressively charging, but I've never had the built-in internal overheat protect kick in.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:24 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

If you have three days to charge a battery then have at it. I have better things to do with my time.
Bully for you Pat...
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 12:06 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

"If all you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail". Mark Twain
Personally I try to have more than one tool in my toolbox.

Quick Reply: Ctek 3300 Update