C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette ownership and jealousy......

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Default Corvette ownership and jealousy......

I have been meaning to post this question and after reading a post about some low life keying someones car I thought I would take the time do it. Do any of your friends or coworkers treat you differently since you have your Corvette. I seem to get a negative attitude and cold shoulder from certain friends and coworkers since buying mine.

The funny thing is that most of the people I get this from make as much money or more than me. My wife and I have worked for everything we have , no one has given us anything. I get the " must be nice to have money" bs all the time from certain people and it really gets a little old. We don't drink, gamble or smoke our money away. We stayed in a small house and paid it off early. We don't take expensive vacations like some. Anyhow I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have not. A lot of praise from people who like the car but no jealousy that I've witnessed in my three and a half years of ownership.

We do get some quips about our house though.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
I have not. A lot of praise from people who like the car but no jealousy that I've witnessed in my three and a half years of ownership.

We do get some quips about our house though.
If we had a house like yours we would need to find all new friends, no one would talk to us anymore...
Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
06 Blown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I have been meaning to post this question and after reading a post about some low life keying someones car I thought I would take the time do it. Do any of your friends or coworkers treat you differently since you have your Corvette. I seem to get a negative attitude and cold shoulder from certain friends and coworkers since buying mine.

The funny thing is that most of the people I get this from make as much money or more than me. My wife and I have worked for everything we have , no one has given us anything. I get the " must be nice to have money" bs all the time from certain people and it really gets a little old. We don't drink, gamble or smoke our money away. We stayed in a small house and paid it off early. We don't take expensive vacations like some. Anyhow I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
hey i get the same chit from a few, not many, most "Friends " were happy for me, just one that showed his true colors when i got it !!
as for getting keyed, seems even if you had a new F150 that had a little bling you'd get keyed

cheers
Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have gotten the "you're kidding me ... you bought another one ?!? Where are you going to put it ? comments "

and the "must be nice" comment ...

same gig however - I work for it, earn it, save it, spend it ... send the kids to school, live in the same house (with substantial mods) instead of becoming house poor.

I thank God for my good fortune and an understanding wife !!!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 AM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

the house mods keep her happy and "even"

LOL
Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I know what you mean, but fortunately, most all of the people I work with are car or bike nuts so they understand my problem.

That said, because I work for a public entity, I still have not nor do I intend to drive it to work,so all my co-workers ever see me in is my Tacoma

pick-up. I'm sure, if I drove my yellow C6 to work ,attitudes might change.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
slowery4
Instructor

For me the jealousy, etc has gotten so old I have contemplated selling mine. It does not help that I manage people twice my age. I guess people would respect me more if I drove a beater. I have had people tell me that even though they know its not true, buying a brand new Vette makes me "cocky"..... And here I thought I just liked nice cars.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never drive my Vette to the office. A former co-worker warned me that there are some pussies working in our office that are jealous of me and would definitely key it if I drove it here.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

I know what you mean. Our society today has trained many minds to differentiate between the "rich" and those less fortunate. It has even become a political issue! I don't let it bother me, you can't, or it will pull you down as well. My wife and I are in the same boat as you; we've worked hard for many years, and continue to, to provide a better life that our parents and forefathers hoped for us.
Some just don't see that, but would rather chastise those of us that have the drive to better ourselves.
I've always lived by this: "if you're not the lead dog, the view never changes"
Some folks are just happy staring at the a$$ in front of them all their lives.
I don't like hearing stories of Vette's getting keyed either, but those a-holes seek vengence for their own downfalls. Sad really....
Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by schmegeggie
a-holes seek vengence for their own downfalls. Sad really....
Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Default Impact

Standing in a grocery store checkout line I noticed that the guy in front of me was a one-time coworker whom I had not seen 19 years.

Before I could react he noticed me. Instantly he turned toward me and said, "Peter! Do you still have that silver Corvette?".

~~~~~~~~~

Anyone of us who thinks we can just quietly drive our Corvettes discreetly around coworkers, friends, or relatives, is not being sensitive to other people's jealously, envy, and underlying frustrations.

Many -- not all -- people who purport to be friends and coworkers and respect us for our productivity will be pleased that we have such a car. They know that we desired, dreamed of, and care for our Corvettes and they will be pleased for us.

However, we should always be wary of some people's anger and frustration once they know we own a Corvette... and many other fun, quality, luxury objects. Class envy gives some people their only purpose in life.

Last edited by PeterSG; 08-19-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 412 Posts

I've owned two C6's now, and have never heard any negative comments. The most common comment is "Nice car!"

It's very easy to ignore any negative comments you might encounter; after all they're talking about a car, not you or your wife.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I get a lot of the "Mid-life crisis" comments from the people I know at work because I'm 40 and most of them never saw my C5. That all ends pretty quick when I tell them it cost less than some of the pickup trucks and Suburbans out in our parking lot.

At work I think it helps to calm people to thinking the C6 is not extravagant when our parking lot has many nice cars in it.. Multiple Ferrari's, Aston Martin, Porsche Turbos, a couple Elise's and Exige's and even a Koenigsegg. Seeing those on a day to day basis and knowing the cost makes the car guys much more mellow about the C6. Pretty much the only time I would worry about the car is leaving it unattended at the mall or theater. Even then, there's a lot of Corvettes here, so it's normal to see them.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

i love the midlife crisis comments. when you hit midlife is probably the first time you can "afford" something like a corvette in Montana. Obviously, it's a second car up here since we have 10 months of winter and 2 months of road construction.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:54 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
i love the midlife crisis comments. when you hit midlife is probably the first time you can "afford" something like a corvette in Montana. Obviously, it's a second car up here since we have 10 months of winter and 2 months of road construction.
I agree. Out here in the bay area it's really the same for any working person.... anywhere you go really as cost of living follows the salary range, or they are over extended in debt. There's a lot of nice cars with younger people buying them and storing them in a car port of a really crappy apartment here. Who needs a house when you can have a nice car?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Icetech
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havn't seen much jealousy.. but the comments bout money and that crack me up... usually its from someone driving a escalade or yukon that cost more than my pos c6..

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette ownership and jealousy......

Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Loppy
Advanced

I've only had my 2010 GS a month and have already had some comments.
I'm 33, from another country, have worked hard for what I have - have my own business, motorcycles, boat, couple houses, but they say I'm llucky. No luck involved - as i always say - LUCK COMES TO THOSE WHO WORK HARD.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,009 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have had the same comments, mid life, must be nice to have money, where do you hide all that cash....I just ignore them and hang out with nice people like you and your wife and call it a day.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Sargevette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. I keep a low profile and drive the DD Ford Ranger to work. People just don't understand it comes from years of hard work.

Quick Reply: Corvette ownership and jealousy......