C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 vs. Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:35 PM
weiland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I own a ZO6 but at Spring Mountain, I mostly drove the Grand Sport. I will tell you something you probably already know, the Grand Sport is one heck of a fine car!
It is a privilege to own either one but as has been said.....it really depends on what you want. Thank God for the great choices we have!
This is not meant to be patronizing. The Grand Sport ran like a super car on the track. It was a darn good teacher!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 08-18-2011, 05:04 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Really? Let me try............measly 6.2 Liter LS9?
Or a measly LS3 stroker
Old 08-18-2011, 05:05 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LTVN68
I own a ZO6 but at Spring Mountain, I mostly drove the Grand Sport. I will tell you something you probably already know, the Grand Sport is one heck of a fine car!
It is a privilege to own either one but as has been said.....it really depends on what you want. Thank God for the great choices we have!
This is not meant to be patronizing. The Grand Sport ran like a super car on the track. It was a darn good teacher!
Driven both at SM - totally agree!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM
csnow
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Comes down to gills or no gills.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10
These topics tend to go into a ................

They are two very different cars, go to a dealership and test drive both, make your own decision based on your driving habits/abilities. You are going to get several different opinions here and most likely this thread will end up being locked.

Do some research in the Z06 and general sections of the forum, this topis has been brought up several times.
Well said.

To the OP: This will be a 50/50 split.

The Z has more power, and is a potent car. The GS has a little less power, and is still a potent car. Both are great cars. Just test drive them, make your choice, and enjoy either one.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:45 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

You mentioned a new GS vs a Used Z06. If operating costs are important to you, you might also compare a few things like mileage, tire replacement, and suggested maintenance costs. I believe the Z06 will be significantly more to insure and maintain, but will retain better resale value.

How long you plan to keep it, how many miles you plan to drive it, and if you intend on taking the car to a race track will affect all of the costs involved with each car.

Good luck, and make sure whichever you pick, you enjoy it completely. Don't play the 'I wish I would have' game on something you need to live with for a few years.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10
or get the GS supercharge it and blow the doors off the Z with your top removed
If you do this you lose your warranty when you engine explodes. Not pretty.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

heres a thought...man the F up and get the Vette YOU want.....
Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Do you want a removable roof or not? Easy decision after that. Then again you could buy a Callaway, have more HP than a Z06 and a removable roof.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Isn't the GS just a watered down base model/version of the Z-06. Oh, wait, what is that thing with gills in my garage. . . . .

OP,

Go get the one that trips your trigger. They're both great cars. But you got to have the clarity of mind and guts to know whay YOU want, and then act on that, and that alone. Cuz at the end of the day, our opinions don't mean jack.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Well said.

To the OP: This will be a 50/50 split.

The Z has more power, and is a potent car. The GS has a little less power, and is still a potent car. Both are great cars. Just test drive them, make your choice, and enjoy either one.
If the GS "has a little less power" ( than the Z06 )

and

The GS and narrow body C6 have identical hp

then

the "base" "narrow body" aka "standard" C6 also "has a little less power and it still a potent car".

My point being that if " has a little less power" is true for the GS it is also true for the base narrow body standard C6.

If you are thinking vert at all you should stop thinking about a Z06. Around town it beats the heck out of me what the difference could possibly be between an LS3 with 430/436 hp, 505 hp OR 638 hp unless a person is a reckless street racer type person. You can't use 430/436 hp in most urban/residential areas safely etc.

After reading probably thousands of posts about the Z06 I've concluded I'd never want to own one due to the unpredictable reliability of the LS7. You can read all about this yourself and form YOU OWN opinions after learning of the experiences of Z06 owners. I'd certainly never want to own a Z06 out of warranty even if it was pampered and low mile....again....read a few hundred posts and look at some photos of LS7 engine blocks with holes in them and you will understand. ( and, oh, flame me all you want but good grief it's the Z06 owners themselves who post up their experiences for interested persons to read )

Go with the GS. You will have the reliability of the standard LS3 engine and drivetrain and the looks , sort of, of the Z06 but without the LS7.
The following users liked this post:
remdawg (08-13-2019)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Raazor
don't forget that Stage 3 LIngenfelter

750hp baby!

I'm only at 650

True statement....
Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTVN68
Thank you. I've found the GS to be a heck of a fast car on the track and the handling is the best I driven on a track. People discount it a lot.

Of course I haven't driven a Viper, Z06 etc.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Originally Posted by troller399
heres a thought...man the F up and get the Vette YOU want.....
Here's another thought.....
This is a public forum where Ideas are brought up to get advise from those who have been there/done that. I would have to say the OP is "maning up" just fine.
The following users liked this post:
Warpdrv (10-07-2018)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6

After reading probably thousands of posts about the Z06 I've concluded I'd never want to own one due to the unpredictable reliability of the LS7. You can read all about this yourself and form YOU OWN opinions after learning of the experiences of Z06 owners. I'd certainly never want to own a Z06 out of warranty even if it was pampered and low mile....again....read a few hundred posts and look at some photos of LS7 engine blocks with holes in them and you will understand. ( and, oh, flame me all you want but good grief it's the Z06 owners themselves who post up their experiences for interested persons to read )

Go with the GS. You will have the reliability of the standard LS3 engine and drivetrain and the looks , sort of, of the Z06 but without the LS7.
Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. Grand Sport

Old 08-19-2011, 10:02 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by OregonC6

I can't even dignify this amount of BS with a response...oh wait

Originally Posted by LFZ
Thank you.
THANK GOODNESS
Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 AM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788
Well to put it simply. 70 horsepower!

If you prefer a ragtop your decision is made... The easiest way to decide is go by your local dealer and drive both.... As I want a removable top the ZO6 is out for me... Decision was easy! Both are GREAT cars and you'll love either one.... Have fun!!!!
Automatic tranny available only in GS. I wanted automatic and a pop-top so GS was my answer...I love it.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Since you are shopping for a used Z06 or new GS the price should be relatively close. Test drive both and see if the GS is enough for you or if the power of the Z06 is worth giving up the removable top and/or auto trans.

Both will be excellent cars in the twisties or the track, dont let anyone convince you that you need a Z06 is you plan to drive it in that manor. Sure the Z06 will have higher limits, but it will take more skill to be able to tap that potential safely.

Also, you can always put a GMPP on the Z06 to get a longer warranty period.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs. Grand Sport