C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upstate NY Vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Upstate NY Vette

Well, we finally moved to our home in upstate NY. I retired as of 7-1-11 and it was time to move off Long Island. Now, my Vette will be driving on all the twisty mountainous roads and breathing fresh air! But, alas, I'll have to put her away for the winter. It'll be the first true rest she'll have in 4 yrs. It'll be good though. I can now really clean her up and detail her and add some mods I've been wanting to do.
Glad to be back on the Forum!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:34 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

I hunt up that way, great outdoor activities in the Catskills. First thing though is to get a snowblower, and if you have one, get a bigger snowblower.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Hey Man if thats in the Catskills your just north west of NYC. Im from upstate NY. Chuckle ,chuckle
Old 08-15-2011, 07:19 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

You will love the twisties. That's where my car spends most of its time. Upstate here also, in valley between the Catskills and Adirondacks so I havemy choice between the 2!

good luck and have a L-O-N-G healthy retirement!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Enjoy your retirement and new home. Putting the Vette away for the Winter just makes Spring sweeter when you fire that baby up from its sleep.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

A few suggestions, as a life-long Upstate New York resident and a 35-year Corvette owner:

1.) You are now residing in an area of some of the best-kept-secret Corvette roads in the nation. Enjoy them often.
2.) Join your local Corvette club. Great people, fun events. No pretentions, just "vette lovers.
3.) The winter hibernation makes you appreciate your Corvette even more. Make sure you have a heated garage for all the projects and mods you'll have plenty of time for.
4.) During those winter attention sessions, invite a like-minded friend or two over. The work goes faster, an extra set of eyes never hurts.
5.) When spring comes, get out there and drive. Then drive some more. It's not a full-size model kit to sit on the shelf, it's a car. Use it.
6.) Welcome to the neighbothood. Glad you're here.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Ahh yes...enjoy the 15 minutes of summer fun every year! It will keep the miles low on the Vette.A sunny day is what happens between the snow and rain around here!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess anything north of White Plains is “Upstate” when you’re from Long Island, huh?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I guess anything north of White Plains is “Upstate” when you’re from Long Island, huh
Pretty much!! Even if you're from Larchmont or New Rochelle!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

don't forget the battery maintainer.....
Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AORoads
don't forget the battery maintainer.....
Good call…I buy ‘em by the 6-pack.

Between 3 vehicles that get parked all winter and various toys/equipment…I have 6 Battery Tenders plugged in for 5 months.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

No reason to put her away any time soon. The roads will be great in sept and oct when temps are in the mid 60's-70's your car will BREATH.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypher
I guess anything north of White Plains is “Upstate” when you’re from Long Island, huh?

Funny, but true. Watching the news sometimes you'll hear the commentators call Ossining or Somers "upstate", makes me chuckle. My MIL lives in Dobbs Ferry and calls Carmel "up the line"
Born and raised in the Bronx,and VERY happy to be living "upstate"
Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusler John
Well, we finally moved to our home in upstate NY. I retired as of 7-1-11 and it was time to move off Long Island. Now, my Vette will be driving on all the twisty mountainous roads and breathing fresh air! But, alas, I'll have to put her away for the winter. It'll be the first true rest she'll have in 4 yrs. It'll be good though. I can now really clean her up and detail her and add some mods I've been wanting to do.
Glad to be back on the Forum!

Welcome from another NYer that lives upstate.

I live right at the beginning of the Adirondack Mountains and enjoy the roads and lack of pesky LEOs that downstate seems to have. Have not run front plate in over 20 seasons of Vette driving!

You actually do live upstate. I get a big laugh out of those that consider anything north of NY city upstate. Upstate to a lot of us is an imaginary line that goes from the NY- Penn border to the Conn-Mass border.

As you said you moved to your home in upstate and retired, that is sort of what I did 7 years ago. We moved from Albany to for years what was our summer camp on the sacandaga!

PS, IF you’re driving around Fleischmanns in the good weather be on the alert for those religious zealots that are so engrossed in praying that they will walk out in the road in front of you or refuse to move to let you go through. Do to circumstances I did a lot of driving for work in that area and that is first hand information. Other than that you are in a very nice area enjoy your retirement!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Welcome from another NYer that lives upstate.

I live right at the beginning of the Adirondack Mountains and enjoy the roads and lack of pesky LEOs that downstate seems to have. Have not run front plate in over 20 seasons of Vette driving!

You actually do live upstate. I get a big laugh out of those that consider anything north of NY city upstate. Upstate to a lot of us is an imaginary line that goes from the NY- Penn border to the Conn-Mass border.

As you said you moved to your home in upstate and retired, that is sort of what I did 7 years ago. We moved from Albany to for years what was our summer camp on the sacandaga!

PS, IF you’re driving around Fleischmanns in the good weather be on the alert for those religious zealots that are so engrossed in praying that they will walk out in the road in front of you or refuse to move to let you go through. Do to circumstances I did a lot of driving for work in that area and that is first hand information. Other than that you are in a very nice area enjoy your retirement!
As a matter of fact, the wife and I were driving through Fleischmans, yesterday and saw quite a few "zealots" walking around. None in the road, though. We've had this house for over 20 yrs, but, the time wasn't right to move, then. So, here we are with 10 acres on the mountain, that, backs up to over 700 acres of an abandoned quarry and good deer woods. ( I'm a hunter ) Lifes good for us, now!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusler John
As a matter of fact, the wife and I were driving through Fleischmans, yesterday and saw quite a few "zealots" walking around. None in the road, though. We've had this house for over 20 yrs, but, the time wasn't right to move, then. So, here we are with 10 acres on the mountain, that, backs up to over 700 acres of an abandoned quarry and good deer woods. ( I'm a hunter ) Lifes good for us, now!
Possibly my last couple of trips through there with the large box truck with airhorns got their attention. After I retired from my construction union I delivered building supplies for 5 years in that area.

I was a hunter but gave it up about 15 years back. I have a bit of property that is on the side of a mountain, its private enough that I have my own safe/legal 100 yard shooting range.(check out my profile)
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
RS2ENJOY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'13

Congrats on your retirement and move upstate. When the Mrs. retires we plan to move (back to) somewhere in Dutchess/Columbia or Ulster/Greene area.

I got curious as to where the northern most point was in NY. Surprised to find we belong to a club not to far from the location!

According to Wiki, the northern most point in NY is "In the Saint Lawrence River just north of Robert Moses State Park and Barnhart Island, St. Lawrence County (latitude 45.01 North)"

Here's a Google earth pic - Barnhart Island is where i noted "St Lawrence State Park", our club is located in Fort Covington on the Salmon River.

Again, enjoy!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
Funny, but true. Watching the news sometimes you'll hear the commentators call Ossining or Somers "upstate", makes me chuckle. My MIL lives in Dobbs Ferry and calls Carmel "up the line"
Born and raised in the Bronx,and VERY happy to be living "upstate"
I live in Somers...& race at Raceway Park as often as possible (plan on going to the Corvette Challenge Aug 20th) and when I tell people I live in Somers, that ask how far am I from NY city or White Plains?

We have a pretty nice group of guys who race at either Raceway Park or Lebanon Valley on most weekends...

And "YES" I use my car all year around.. in the winter, I only take it out if it hasn't snowed in a week to 10 days and the roads are DRY w/no salt... but I've had it out many times in 10 deg weather in Jan. or Feb. .. Just have to use your head before you use the GAS Pedal)

Get notified of new replies

To Upstate NY Vette

Quick Reply: Upstate NY Vette