C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edlebrock supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 AM
snmnjones
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edlebrock supercharger

I am considering putting an Edlebrock supercharger in my stock 2007 C6. Has anyone done this. If so:
1. How difficult
2. Pros and cons
3. Did it impact reliability
4. How much did it impact gas mileage
5. Did it increase the under hood noise
Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 AM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do a search, lots of people have and the answers are there
Larry
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
dbradley
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are detailed installation instructions on the Edelbrock site. Not for the timid. But if you're an experienced mechanic, with proper tools and work area you won't have any trouble.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snmnjones
I am considering putting an Edlebrock supercharger in my stock 2007 C6. Has anyone done this. If so:
1. How difficult
2. Pros and cons
If you've already convinced yourself to go with F/I, you can disregard my post

Otherwise, here's my take on reliability - the stock hypereutectic pistons and connecting rods won't last forever under boost. If reliability is important to you, sit down and think this all the way through. Nobody cares about your car as much as you do, so take the following with a grain of salt: "you can make XXXrwhp safely! I am!"

A hypereutectic piston is an internal combustion engine piston cast using a hypereutectic alloy–that is, a metallic alloy which has a composition beyond the eutectic point. Hypereutectic pistons are made of an aluminum alloy which has much more silicon present than is soluble in aluminum at the operating temperature.
[...]
The biggest drawback of adding silicon to pistons is that the piston becomes more brittle as the ratio of silicon is added. This makes the piston more susceptible to cracking if the engine experiences pre-ignition or detonation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston

Some honest brutality: don't think you'll be the exception and your boosted engine will last a hundred thousand miles. If you don't want to be embarrassed calling a tow truck at 2am because your engine blew (personal experience), plan out your whole build from the bottom up. After that, my saying became "not building a car from the ground up to handle the power you want to make is like Reverse Jenga; the more you pile on, the higher the chance its going to topple over."

Things can work fine for a while, then blow up without warning. Here's a quote that probably says it best:
My LS2/L92 headed engine made 623 rwhp with 12 deg timing at peak torque and 11.5:1 afr nice and safe. Drove it for 2 months, raced it etc. Put it on the dyno last night and did half a dozen pulls tidying up the fuel map after installing new fuel pumps and it went bang after 10 runs spinning it to 7000rpm plus. Motor has 10.8:1 comp plus T trim and other bits had rod bolts in it stock rods and pistons. Motor never had detonation issues ran cold plugs very safe tune so had more in it just kept it 20 hp less then optimum. So yeah I found the limit. If I was building a motor specifically for boost i would run 9-9.5:1 comp forged pistons and rods arp bolts throughout lots of boost push the engine to the edge with the tune then back 20hp for safety and it will last. Fi u have to do things properly.
From here: http://ls1tech.com/forums/11886428-post18.html

There are more people out there who have had their engine blow up than just the people that post about it on this forum. A lot of people are embarrassed it happened, or don't want the @ssholes on the board to start taking pot shots and saying "well you should have done THIS!" So instead of taking other people's crap, they opt not to post. Can't say I blame them.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
weiland
Instructor

^^^ If no F/I, then what power adder?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Do a search, lots of people have and the answers are there
Larry

Bottom line I always say with these things is if you wanna play, ya gotta pay. One of the biggest keys I think is the Tune itself..that is really going to impact how long the motor will live...that and your driving style.

Modding is always a domino effect IMO... you up the power, then you have to up the suspension or tranny to handle that extra HP it was not designed to handle from the factory.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
ReosLS2
Instructor

Behavior matters..Racing,7000 PLUS rpm pulls, you couldn't rightly expect it to not come apart..but I agree with the general idea..
Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Check with the folks at Lingenfelter Performance Engineering for their input. They have quite a bit of hands on experience with adding superchargers to the LS3 engine.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSUPERCHARGED
If you've already convinced yourself to go with F/I, you can disregard my post

Otherwise, here's my take on reliability - the stock hypereutectic pistons and connecting rods won't last forever under boost. If reliability is important to you, sit down and think this all the way through. Nobody cares about your car as much as you do, so take the following with a grain of salt: "you can make XXXrwhp safely! I am!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston

Some honest brutality: don't think you'll be the exception and your boosted engine will last a hundred thousand miles. If you don't want to be embarrassed calling a tow truck at 2am because your engine blew (personal experience), plan out your whole build from the bottom up. After that, my saying became "not building a car from the ground up to handle the power you want to make is like Reverse Jenga; the more you pile on, the higher the chance its going to topple over."

Things can work fine for a while, then blow up without warning. Here's a quote that probably says it best:

From here: http://ls1tech.com/forums/11886428-post18.html

There are more people out there who have had their engine blow up than just the people that post about it on this forum. A lot of people are embarrassed it happened, or don't want the @ssholes on the board to start taking pot shots and saying "well you should have done THIS!" So instead of taking other people's crap, they opt not to post. Can't say I blame them.
First lets agree to disagree on several points. Don't know how you can prove a negative like people haven't reported blown engines? By definition that means they didn't report it so how you know they blew up can remain a mystery! Callaway has been running mild boost for many years on STOCK BOTTOM ends with few problems. No big mystery to it.... Higher the boost the higher the HP the bigger the risk! Simple physics.... Does it increase the likely hood of an unexpected event? Well of course it does and so does cam and heads... more than one of those has also grenaded for a variety of reasons. All depends how it's boosted and how the car is driven.

Is it going to last as long as a stock engine? No it's not but there are plenty of bone stock engines that have also died tragic deaths! I'm running an E-Force and love the extra HP and fun it's added to driving mine. Yep it could go bang but I could get hit my a meteor too! Mine was professionally installed although Motorhead 47 has installed several with ZERO problems on engine life..... so far. I do my own tuning and have had ZERO issues with the car. It's not my DD so if it pukes.. it pukes! I'll replace the motor and move on. If folks CAN NOT afford to do that they should leave everything bone stock and be happy with the HP it came with imo.

Frankly I'd be more concerned with power train problems.. IE... clutch, rears... etc then the engine giving it up. There is certainly a limit to how much power stock components can handle but my guess (yes it's a guess based on anecdotal info) is the sweet spot is 500 to 550 rwhp. How long before there are issues.. NO ONE KNOWS but it's in direct relationship to how you drive the car if the hp isn't off the charts!

Bottom line is I'm extremely happy with my E-Force setup and after a year experienced zero problems. If it's installed correctly I believe you can have a pretty reliable car with plenty of power with proper boost....

Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
MuscleVette
Racer

Quick Question to the newbie here - when you guys say 500-500 HP, is that RWHP?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by MuscleVette
Quick Question to the newbie here - when you guys say 500-500 HP, is that RWHP?
Normally the "RW" is there to indicate RWHP... if someone says just "HP"..I read that as at the flywheel... see Cthusker refers to 500-550 RWHP in his post above.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cthusker
First lets agree to disagree on several points. Don't know how you can prove a negative like people haven't reported blown engines? By definition that means they didn't report it so how you know they blew up can remain a mystery!
Are you seriously implying that everyone who has their engine blow up, is going to come on a forum and tell people about it? When my engine blew and I had my thread(s) going, you would be surprised how many people messaged me who have had their engine blow up too, but didn't post it.

I agree with you on the rest of your post, I think you were just wanting to argue My point was not to think it's going to last forever, given the engine wasn't designed to see boost at all.

Last edited by BornSUPERCHARGED; 08-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree with the professionals who do this for a living. They say that engines are a wear item. The more stress that is put on them, the shorter the lifespan. Stock, the engine should last a great while, unless you regularly track the car. Nailing it regularly also will result in more wear. Eventually, something will break. Making it more powerful just shortens the overall lifespan of the motor. Sounds pretty obvious.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by snmnjones
1. How difficult
2. Pros and cons
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...d-of-this.html
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSUPERCHARGED
Are you seriously implying that everyone who has their engine blow up, is going to come on a forum and tell people about it? When my engine blew and I had my thread(s) going, you would be surprised how many people messaged me who have had their engine blow up too, but didn't post it.

I agree with you on the rest of your post, I think you were just wanting to argue My point was not to think it's going to last forever, given the engine wasn't designed to see boost at all.
Again it's pure speculation when you start talking about blown engines and now secret PM's! Without at least a public admission from the victim there isn't much credibility with me! Can't understand why anyone would feel intimidated if their engine pukes for any reason? It's mechanical and they ALL fail sooner or later.... some sooner than laster as you personally experienced. However I could claim there are a lot more OP's with great FI systems and no problems but don't post because of insurance worries? Bottom line is I'm sure there are sorts of things that happens with these cars that are never posted....

Anyone that believes you can get 500+ rwhp for FREE is whistling past the graveyard of deceased engines. THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES when it comes to high performance.... Of course you can spend between 80 to 110 grand for a Z or ZR1 and get a warranty. I didn't happen to have an extra 100 grand collecting dust, DID NOT WANT USED, therefore spent around 12 grand and got a pretty fast beast that looks good to me! It's IN FACT got A LOT more RWHP then a stock Z06 and about equal to a ZR1. I could EASY get more then a ZR1 but I believe that's really begging for trouble. I realize my car is not either one of those other cars but it works just fine for me... I also turning a wrench and enjoy working on my cars.... so it's a win win!

I seldom argue... sorry you took it as such because I was simply stating a difference of opinion. I enjoy the heck out of my FI setup and believe Edlebrock makes a nice unit. If you're looking for monster numbers it's not the one to go with imo. I've had the good fortune to test mine under controlled conditions and it's plenty fast enough for me... that's all that counts really.

OP's that want to go FI should do a lot of research and be prepared for unexpected events.... if it happens it happens! My advice is have the money in hand should something go BOOM! The thing that drives me crazy is folks that mod the engine, it goes BOOM then they cry about it! If you're worried about something going wrong when modding for performance then leave it alone.. end of story...
Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I thought edelbrock offered a drivetrain warranty for a couple of hundred bucks.

Sure a person has to stay with their tune but for those concerned.. it makes sense

I think the edelbrock supercharger kit makes sense for those who want more power.

I drive my 190 mph top speed zero to 60 in 4.1 second stock C6 and have been laughing my @ss off for the past 3 or 4 years...

When the time comes that stops...? I'll consider an edelbrock supercharger and purposely go for the 550 flywheel hp kit because I believe it has pretty good reliability

Get notified of new replies

To Edlebrock supercharger

Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
lawnmore
Racer

Originally Posted by cthusker
Again it's pure speculation when you start talking about blown engines and now secret PM's! Without at least a public admission from the victim there isn't much credibility with me! Can't understand why anyone would feel intimidated if their engine pukes for any reason? It's mechanical and they ALL fail sooner or later.... some sooner than laster as you personally experienced. However I could claim there are a lot more OP's with great FI systems and no problems but don't post because of insurance worries? Bottom line is I'm sure there are sorts of things that happens with these cars that are never posted....

Anyone that believes you can get 500+ rwhp for FREE is whistling past the graveyard of deceased engines. THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES when it comes to high performance.... Of course you can spend between 80 to 110 grand for a Z or ZR1 and get a warranty. I didn't happen to have an extra 100 grand collecting dust, DID NOT WANT USED, therefore spent around 12 grand and got a pretty fast beast that looks good to me! It's IN FACT got A LOT more RWHP then a stock Z06 and about equal to a ZR1. I could EASY get more then a ZR1 but I believe that's really begging for trouble. I realize my car is not either one of those other cars but it works just fine for me... I also turning a wrench and enjoy working on my cars.... so it's a win win!

I seldom argue... sorry you took it as such because I was simply stating a difference of opinion. I enjoy the heck out of my FI setup and believe Edlebrock makes a nice unit. If you're looking for monster numbers it's not the one to go with imo. I've had the good fortune to test mine under controlled conditions and it's plenty fast enough for me... that's all that counts really.

OP's that want to go FI should do a lot of research and be prepared for unexpected events.... if it happens it happens! My advice is have the money in hand should something go BOOM! The thing that drives me crazy is folks that mod the engine, it goes BOOM then they cry about it! If you're worried about something going wrong when modding for performance then leave it alone.. end of story...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 PM
rayk
Drifting

The 550 kit is what I was considering among others. A good safe tune goes a long way to longevity, of course it will pull a lot of timing when it gets hot. Like a KB, it's a torque monster down low.

Most of the time you won't be in boost, only when you play. I go back and forth between the E-Force and Vortech kits.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

E-force would be a bit quieter. The centrifugal whistle is bad *** though

Quick Reply: Edlebrock supercharger