C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PS2 vs AS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 PM
number10
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Michelin PS2 vs AS

About 2 bills a tire different-worth it? (both run flat)

Thx
Old 08-04-2011, 04:20 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends on how much you value traction.

An all season tire will never have the traction of a summer/extreme performance tire.

Personally I would never put an all season tire on the vette.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the A/S. Good enough traction for me plus a mileage warranty. I drive an f55. I guess if you have a z51 you might lean to the PS2. If not, save a few bucks. I can tell you for an all season, it is much quieter than the OEM GY's and it has enough performance for me, and I will never be driving on them in snow or ice either.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I can understand (I think) the comments about grip and handling, but I can tell you we have the AS tires on our CTS-V and they are great! I will be putting them on the Vette when it needs tires, as the performance handling is just fine. In addition, because the compound is not as soft, the mileage is exponentially better.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

As I recall the treadlife warranty is different.

20,000 for the summer tires, 30,000 for the all seasons.

Even here in Miami it can get into the 30's in the winter and I think you'd have some handling problems with the summer tires at that temperature.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Just put the PS2s on my '09 Z 2 weeks ago--also new wheels. I never considered the AS and I bought the PS2s at TR just before the price increase. They're pretty quiet but of course they're new. At least my wife and I can converse over the road noise now and the radio seems to come through clearer. Took them through an unexpected downpour and they were extremely stable. Same thing happened a month ago with the GYs and the car was squirrely. Of course 10-11K on the old GYs. I'm happy so far.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Nothing wrong with AS tires but they are the definition of compromise. Personally on a C6 I don't like them much. On my Impala SS they are great.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

They are two different tires for two different purposes. PS2 is all out summer performance, cold weather and tread life not important. A/S Plus is all weather, better tread life with a small sacrifice in all out summer traction. You need to decide which way is more important to you...no one tire is best at everything.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We actually have both sets of Michelins, on two sets of wheels for summer and winter.

The PS2 ZP runflats are a little softer than the Goodyears we had on our car (Supercar and Base at different times), noticable but not a huge amount. Definitely quieter. Where they really shine is in predictability of handling- much easier to handle when at or near the limits. They seem to do well in rain but i didn't think the Goodyears were that bad either. They are almost surely the best high performnce summer runflat you can buy.

The A/S runflats are significantly softer than the Goodyears, easy to tell the difference. Even quieter than the PS2. Definitely do well in rain and at cold temps. 2" of snow is no problem and I think 4" would work out ok also. Handling is great for an A/S but I can't give a direct comparison. Even without the A/S aspect, they are an excellent year-round touring tire for the Corvette (we drove 'em to Florida in January and then 3 months down there in warm weather.)

When you consider intitial cost plus tread life, the A/S cost about half as much per mile as the PS2.

Both great tires, pick the ones that's best for your circumstances.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Davelt1coupe2010
Instructor

I had the A/S tires on my previous car - slk320...I liked them. I will need to get new tires for the Corvette in about another 4000 miles..3 months or so...I have not decided yet on the A/S or PS/2.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
They are two different tires for two different purposes. PS2 is all out summer performance, cold weather and tread life not important. A/S Plus is all weather, better tread life with a small sacrifice in all out summer traction. You need to decide which way is more important to you...no one tire is best at everything.
I have had PS2 (BMW) All Season (Caddy) and PS2 ZP Vette. All great tires.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 PM
MWAZ
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
I love the A/S. Good enough traction for me plus a mileage warranty. I drive an f55. I guess if you have a z51 you might lean to the PS2. If not, save a few bucks. I can tell you for an all season, it is much quieter than the OEM GY's and it has enough performance for me, and I will never be driving on them in snow or ice either.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I wonder how many owners actually push their Vette hard enough to warrant the PS2's extra price and stickiness. If youre most cruising around town, punching it from stoplight to stoplight or hitting a couple of back country roads theres no doubt the AS+ has more than enough traction to handle the job. Aint but so much you can do on a public road without getting arrested.

Someone participating track days, autocross events or doing some sort of driving activity where they are really pushing their vehicle to the limit would definitely be better off with the PS2's.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
We actually have both sets of Michelins, on two sets of wheels for summer and winter.

The PS2 ZP runflats are a little softer than the Goodyears we had on our car (Supercar and Base at different times), noticable but not a huge amount. Definitely quieter. Where they really shine is in predictability of handling- much easier to handle when at or near the limits. They seem to do well in rain but i didn't think the Goodyears were that bad either. They are almost surely the best high performnce summer runflat you can buy.

The A/S runflats are significantly softer than the Goodyears, easy to tell the difference. Even quieter than the PS2. Definitely do well in rain and at cold temps. 2" of snow is no problem and I think 4" would work out ok also. Handling is great for an A/S but I can't give a direct comparison. Even without the A/S aspect, they are an excellent year-round touring tire for the Corvette (we drove 'em to Florida in January and then 3 months down there in warm weather.)

When you consider intitial cost plus tread life, the A/S cost about half as much per mile as the PS2.

Both great tires, pick the ones that's best for your circumstances.
This is what I plan on doing when the GYs on my second set of wheels wear out.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd like to take a stab at the question that wasn't asked: why buy such an expensive tire, either one?

The answer isn't just how hard you drive, or whether you are always asking "10/10ths" of your tires on the street. Sometimes, the answer is much simpler.

Sometimes, but not always, the $500 tire is better in the emergency situations where a $50 tire might not handle it as well. Obviously, the $50 wheel is a fiction for our cars, but there are less expensive tires which we can buy. And they will work on our car...they fit.

But the difference might be ... stopping five feet shorter in an emergency stop. Swerving at 80 mph in West Texas (legal speed limit) and not losing it. Jamming the brakes at 70 mph in a downpour and still having control. Or, saving your butt when you do something....stupid.

Yes, for some it counts for something. And that may be only my answer for the question not asked. Take your choice of tires, but be wise in your decision and buy the best you can afford for your conditions.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 PM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I love my A/S ZP michelin tires. Driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway the temps can get low up there. I have seen it 30 degrees in July before when it was 95 plus lower down. You never know what it will be like up there. So it made more sense to go A/S and be safe.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:03 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I wonder how many owners actually push their Vette hard enough to warrant the PS2's extra price and stickiness. If youre most cruising around town, punching it from stoplight to stoplight or hitting a couple of back country roads theres no doubt the AS+ has more than enough traction to handle the job. Aint but so much you can do on a public road without getting arrested.

Someone participating track days, autocross events or doing some sort of driving activity where they are really pushing their vehicle to the limit would definitely be better off with the PS2's.
True but there is a difference in steering feel also, even in moderate turns. So yeah if your Corvette is used for cruising at the speed limit like most are then A/S would be better for you. I personally don't take long trips in my Vette during the winter (snow/water likes to cover potholes) so I can handle a cold dry day driving around the local area just to keep the fluids running. I had A/S during the winter and they would lose grip easy too. They are better than a summer tire in the cold but not as much as people would like to think. After 4-5 32s are gone their A/S tread is not that effective also.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin PS2 vs AS

Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 AM
SquashAZ
Advanced

I love PS2, have had them for about a year on my Z.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive

Well said. I weighed one against the other, fully realizing the strong and weak points of each. But for me, I don't track my car and seldom push it to the edge, so for me tire life was the determining factor. I went with the harder rubber A/S tires.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM
number10
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the A/S series this go around.

I was really shocked by how bad the cold weather performance was of the factory GY's, thus the try of the A/S's.

I do a lot of road tripping out my way, from 115 degrees to 12000 ft mountains. I usually stay out of the high country in winter, but weather can come hard and fast.

I can always go to the PS2's if I don't like these.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 vs AS