C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PS2 vs AS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
lawnmore
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
I love the A/S. Good enough traction for me plus a mileage warranty. I drive an f55. I guess if you have a z51 you might lean to the PS2. If not, save a few bucks. I can tell you for an all season, it is much quieter than the OEM GY's and it has enough performance for me, and I will never be driving on them in snow or ice either.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:03 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

My 2006 is my daily driver with over 66k miles. I've gone through two sets of the PS2 tires, and switched to the A/S for the third set. I have yet to see any downside.

I live in Southern California, drive the car (literally) daily, and have an average speed of 34mph based on the car's computer (50/50 city/hw).

The tread wear rating on the PS2 is 220 (about 22k miles).
The tread weat rating on the A/S is 500 (about 50k miles).

The A/S tires are about $1250 a set. Significantly cheaper than the PS2 tires.

Based on my experience with the grip, I can safetly say that the A/S tires should easily handle anything close to legal on public roads. If you're worried about a couple tenths on your quarter mile, or hit .9 G's on a turn, neither of these are your best choice.

Good luck with your choice, and drive happy.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Rednblack
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
I love the A/S. Good enough traction for me plus a mileage warranty. I drive an f55. I guess if you have a z51 you might lean to the PS2. If not, save a few bucks. I can tell you for an all season, it is much quieter than the OEM GY's and it has enough performance for me, and I will never be driving on them in snow or ice either.
These are great - and we can get snow in September so it makes the corvette season longer.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:47 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'd like to take a stab at the question that wasn't asked: why buy such an expensive tire, either one?

The answer isn't just how hard you drive, or whether you are always asking "10/10ths" of your tires on the street. Sometimes, the answer is much simpler.

Sometimes, but not always, the $500 tire is better in the emergency situations where a $50 tire might not handle it as well. Obviously, the $50 wheel is a fiction for our cars, but there are less expensive tires which we can buy. And they will work on our car...they fit.

But the difference might be ... stopping five feet shorter in an emergency stop. Swerving at 80 mph in West Texas (legal speed limit) and not losing it. Jamming the brakes at 70 mph in a downpour and still having control. Or, saving your butt when you do something....stupid.

Yes, for some it counts for something. And that may be only my answer for the question not asked. Take your choice of tires, but be wise in your decision and buy the best you can afford for your conditions.
I think you are skipping the very first question that each of us has to answer for ourselves. Run Flat or not. That's where the primary cost difference is for these xtra wide tires. Once you decide that, then price/brand/performance will be easier to deal with.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks like the A/S tires are the way to go if one is most concerned about price & mileage. I have PS2 ZP's on both my C6's & love em.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

I have the PS2 ZP's with 24k miles on them and will easily go a couple thousand more miles. I drive spirited and have the Z51 package, so if you have a similar driving style and the Z51, Grandsport. Z06 or ZR1, I would highly recommend the ZP's over the A/S. The ZP's allow you to take advantage of the performance suspensions.

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 vs AS