C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stealership: MAF/ Throttle body replacement for ABS issues?

Old 08-18-2020, 05:10 PM
c6_noob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stealership: MAF/ Throttle body replacement for ABS issues?

wow, riddle me this please. Take my 2006 z51 to local dealership. Been throwing codes for the ABS and active handling system for 2 years now, finally decided to do something about it.

They call today, tell me its throwing codes for MAF, Throttle Body, and the recirc hose that connects throttle body to air filter. (BTW check engine light was not on)

I'm told they can't diagnose the Active handlung/ABS until they replace all those fuel delivery components for North of $2k. Im calling BS.

Anyone?

Last edited by c6_noob; 08-18-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:56 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I'd find somewhere else to take the car. It takes less than 10 minutes to pull all of those parts, and the same amount of time to put them back on, and the parts don't cost anywhere near $2k. Sounds like a rip off to me.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:37 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Run, run from that crap stealership as fast as you can....
Old 08-19-2020, 01:27 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

ABS code would probably trigger the AH code too. i suspect bad ABS sensor or a bad BCM. AH can also be set off commonly by bad TPMS, bad sws, etc.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:59 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Seems like a lot of money to repair/replace those parts
Old 08-19-2020, 08:35 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

A new silver blade TB isn’t cheap now
Old 08-20-2020, 12:45 AM
c6_noob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Felt like a ripoff scam to me as well. Now it gets better. I tell them I'm not spending 3-4k in repairs on the car. Give me a trade in quote and I'd look for a c7. They offered $6k....and much of that because all the work that needed to be done. I argued retail repair cost vs actual repair cost, and a host of other things. I was furious.

2006, z51, convertible, good condition, 84k miles. I not so politely told them to fly a kite.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:56 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by c6_noob
Thanks all. Felt like a ripoff scam to me as well. Now it gets better. I tell them I'm not spending 3-4k in repairs on the car. Give me a trade in quote and I'd look for a c7. They offered $6k....and much of that because all the work that needed to be done. I argued retail repair cost vs actual repair cost, and a host of other things. I was furious.

2006, z51, convertible, good condition, 84k miles. I not so politely told them to fly a kite.
$6k; hahaha

Last edited by clearwaterms; 08-20-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:36 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by c6_noob
They call today, tell me its throwing codes for MAF, Throttle Body, and the recirc hose that connects throttle body to air filter. (BTW check engine light was not on)

I'm told they can't diagnose the Active handlung/ABS until they replace all those fuel delivery components for North of $2k. Im calling BS.

Anyone?
Assuming the EMS stored P-codes to support the MAF, TB issues, the second conclusion by the dealer (can't diagnose the Active handlung/ABS ) is entirely correct.

MOST simply do not understand how AH and TC work. AH and TC are partly controlled through actions by the ECU, but it's a very big part. Regards the ECU, it contributes to AH, TC and ABS issues by "governing" the actual throttle position and timing. Because AH and TC are SAFETY devices, if the ECU is reporting almost any failures (such as a MAF and TB problem), the EMS will automatically SUSPEND TC and AH.

The part that most do not understand is when something goes wrong in the emissions category (basic engine management functions) and the dash flashes warnings "SERVICE AH" "SERVICE TC" that these warnings are to notify the driver the ECU has suspended these safety devices. In other words, they will not work if your life depended on them. The problem here is the terrible messaging that GM chose to use. It would have been much better (less anxiety on the uninformed driver) if the messages had said - "Active Handling INACTIVE" instead of SERVICE.

BTW, once the P-code issues are resolved and FULL integrity is restored to the EMS, those messages extinguish on their own. UNLESS, they too had a defect, but 99% of the time they appear as a consequence of the failure(s) in the core ECU controls.

This is not to say the dealer's quote to fix certain things is not out of the ballpark, but the part about not being able to tell much with AH, TC and ABS is true.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 08-20-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To stealership: MAF/ Throttle body replacement for ABS issues?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stealership: MAF/ Throttle body replacement for ABS issues?