C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wash,clay bar,seal polish questions for the experts here

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
we all know how much I love Zaino and what it does for the cars... but let me say this:

but seriously, lets stop this bickering about z vs r and let folks post what they want and let people decide what route they want to go... this is not a battle field....its about taking care of our vettes and the final goal of appearance we want to reach. Let everyone chime in and just roll along. Its not a big deal. The folks that are chiming in have had great results and are sharing with other vette owners. We are all in this together.........
Well said, I have tried a ton of waxes/polishes over the years and I am not loyal to any of them, only to the one I am currently using(whatever it might be at the time). I also plan on trying other ones that you fine people rave about, such as Rejex and Adams etc.. it is all trial and see what you like. The Zaino store, aside from the products, also has good information on taking care of the care finish, as does autogeek.com
Old 07-30-2011, 09:18 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I have used their entire product line with near complete satisfaction for years, the clay bar is the only thing I don't care for. I just used Mother's clay bar kit and it worked very well but I would do the entire vehicle not just the rough spots.

I don't believe Rejex has any cleaning properties, it is a polish only. I'm not sure why you would use it then wax over it (they recommend you don't)."

"RejeX can be used over existing wax; however, the duration of protection will be reduced as the softer underlying wax degrades comparatively quickly. There is no reason to wax over RejeX. As we’ve already said, RejeX leaves a shinier, longer-lasting finish than wax… and the wax can't adhere well to RejeX!"

Personally I would use Dawn, clay, Zaino AIO and Z2 then stand back and admire...
One of my pet peeves - polish by it's very definition is a cleaning agent. Polish means it has mild abrasives in it - that is how you "polish" a surface. "Wax" is what does not necessarily have cleaning agents unless it is referred to as a "cleaner wax".

While I'm at it, people referring to engines as "motors" is another pet peeve. There is a very clear definition.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gerdia
Well said, I have tried a ton of waxes/polishes over the years and I am not loyal to any of them, only to the one I am currently using(whatever it might be at the time). I also plan on trying other ones that you fine people rave about, such as Rejex and Adams etc.. it is all trial and see what you like. The Zaino store, aside from the products, also has good information on taking care of the care finish, as does autogeek.com

You'd think we were discussing which doctor to use for open heart surgery.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RJL1
Well thanks for all the help. The main reason I was gonna clay bar was to put the rejex on, which I thought was a "must do" so I dont lock any contaminants in the paint. I'm really not too pumped to clay bar, sooooo today I'm gonna give her a good wash, no clay bar so no rejex and throw a coat or 2 of wax on. No more chamois for me either on the Vette. Thanks again. Keep the tips coming though.

Bob
Just as some quick advice. When I clay bar a car I wash with Dawn also. I just use the suds from the Dawn detergent as the lubricant for the clay bar. I hold a mit in one hand and the clay bar in the other with the bucket of suds close by. It takes me probably 3-4 minutes to clay a car this way.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 AM
who me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerdia
Go to zainostore.com, they have great tips on how to protect your Vette.
Their products are also great. I just started using them and cant believe the shine.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know getting your car a nice clean shine could be so complicated. I'm going to have to step up my game!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by who me
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know getting your car a nice clean shine could be so complicated. I'm going to have to step up my game!
Don't fall for the marketing. If you made 10 different products wouldn't you want to figure out a way to convince people that they need to use 8 of them all at once?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

I know!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by who me
Nahh, it really isn't. it's just listening to everyone's advice that makes it complicated. You have received some real sound advice here, all the products mentioned will do well for you. Now you just have to pick one, or I believe you already have rejex, and use it according to the directions. Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but use a good quality 100% USA made cotton towel or a high grade microfiber towel. That is where your swirls and scratches will come from most often. Good luck and post some pics.

Gerry
Old 07-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

You mean we're not? Opps wrong forum then
Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

While I'm at it, people referring to engines as "motors" is another pet peeve. There is a very clear definition.
2 b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

e.g., General Motors, Bavarian Motor Works.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:35 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
2 b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

e.g., General Motors, Bavarian Motor Works.

Google the answer. The short easy answer is that an engine creates it's own source of energy - generally considered to be from chemicals such as mixing its own concoction of gasoline and oxygen. And motor runs off of electricity.

I can't help that some very large companies use "Motor" in their name. But then again, in the automobiles infancy there were different sources of propulsion.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:03 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Use a polisher. Much better results then you'll get by hand.

Bingo! Polish the wifes car first so you will not make the same mistakes on the Corvette!

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM
RJL1
Racer

Well, the after story is I waxed her up (Vette) with the mcguires wax that came with the new car kit my son bought me for fathers day. Came out pretty great, actually. Pictures would be pointless with my crappy phone. Drove around a bunch as well, of course with the mild to wild set to wild. Oh, how do I turn on the radio? Seems I just wanna listen to the car.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:30 AM
BILLD518
Instructor

Google the answer. The short easy answer is that an engine creates it's own source of energy - generally considered to be from chemicals such as mixing its own concoction of gasoline and oxygen. And motor runs off of electricity.

I can't help that some very large companies use "Motor" in their name. But then again, in the automobiles infancy there were different sources of propulsion.

This is one of my little irritations also.
Where I work, we service industrial engines, and sell electric motors.
And most people (even the ones that work there) call engines motors.
Oh well, life goes on.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

clay bar for hard water spots ? yes/no ?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
kopsis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
clay bar for hard water spots ? yes/no ?
Won't hurt to try. If you're lucky the spots are just mineral deposits on the surface (or on whatever wax or sealant you're using) and the clay will take them off. If you're unlucky, the impurities in the water as it was drying etched into the clearcoat and nothing short of a paint correction with a good polish (and maybe even a compound depending on how deep they go) will get rid of them.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:23 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kopsis
Won't hurt to try. If you're lucky the spots are just mineral deposits on the surface (or on whatever wax or sealant you're using) and the clay will take them off. If you're unlucky, the impurities in the water as it was drying etched into the clearcoat and nothing short of a paint correction with a good polish (and maybe even a compound depending on how deep they go) will get rid of them.
Ive never had a problem with water spots except for the car I never waxed. It got them awful, had to use compound to get them out.

Last week I got caught in the rain on a road under construction and when my DD dried it had awful looking spots on it. I washed it this weekend and they came right off in the wash.

Of course this depends on what causes them, but from my experience a thick coat of high quality wax or sealant goes a long way towards protecting the paint from the spots making it down to the paint and damaging it.

Get notified of new replies

To wash,clay bar,seal polish questions for the experts here

Old 07-31-2011, 12:47 PM
rojocron
Cruising

to clay or not to clay?? use the plastic baggy over your hand and rub lightly over the surface. rough? then clay.

I have a 2007 Lemans Blue and was very happy with the following Meguiars products.

wash with dawn blow dry,leaf blower battery operated

had to clay, 1st time done to the car

coat of ultimate polish

2 coats next 2.0

2 coats of gold classic

results beautiful came out so good did my 250 harley edition true blue color. same results
Old 07-31-2011, 04:09 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kopsis
new from the dealer .looks like they didn't get it all dry when it had been washed a few times .sure hate to take it back and let some clown get hold of it with a buffer would rather do it myself if i can find the correct way.tried some mothers cleaner wax in small aera by hand and nothing.funny thing not any on the glass but under the shop lights at home you can see it on the paint where the towel they were drying with was still wet and left to dry
Old 07-31-2011, 04:16 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

MX-7 ANYONE EVER USE THIS ?

Quick Reply: wash,clay bar,seal polish questions for the experts here