C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The Car Show" - C6 Grand Sport vs Audi R8...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason they didn't post numbers is that the GS vert would really blow the R8 vert out of the water.

I have a friend with a 2011 R8 V10 who found out I just bought a Lamborghini and it is getting shipped to me, he came up to me and says:

"Hey Raf, when you get your Lambo, lets race!"

My Reply:

"I have a vette right now, lets race that"

His Reply:

"Oh no, that's too fast"

But the numbers we are talking about here are like fractions of a second.

Bang for the buck has ALWAYS happened. I mean the ONLY reason you and I can even buy a ferrari is because Mr. Enzo NEEDED the $$$ to keep racing so he sold street cars too!

I just bought my Gallardo and I'm keeping my vette.

I know what car I would push at the track and what car needs a little more "care" 'cause if I break it, its gonna hurt.

Raf
Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Im psychic...
I don't think so.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Worthington
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 66biskwik
Where can you watch Top Gear UK?
Ice films or youtube
Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 AM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
MaximumPwr
Instructor

BBC America Channel
Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
The reason they didn't post numbers is that the GS vert would really blow the R8 vert out of the water.
I doubt that. I think it would be interesting to see if the GS could beat an R8. The V8 version ought to be a good fight, the V10 is more of a match for the Z06.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

I was glad to see that "The Car Show" redeemed itself this week as a serious automotive program...
On tap this week was a contest to see how many coeds (Hooters girls?) they could cram into a Mini...

Very educational - geo
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by SRTinNC
My last two Audi's actually cost more than a comparable MB. This douche bag has enjoyed some very nice cars. Here's a thought, go drive some other cars and expand your horizons.
Exactly, go drive something different, then come back and tell us the story. If you haven't driven both cars, you have no idea which one is better.

I've only ridden in an R8 V8, and it is an amazing machine. In the hands of a competent driver, on a track, I'm sure the lap times could be close. But in the hands of bad drivers like 999 out of 1000 posters here, the R8 will spank a vette. They are very forgiving and easy to drive at, and past the limit. Quattro is an amazing thing.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 PM
rmarks
Racer

The thing about vette owners is that generally we are CAR GUYS. Guys who buy expensive German cars just drive them and don't know that much about them. Go ask that R8 Audi driver what his tire pressure is?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by rmarks
The thing about vette owners is that generally we are CAR GUYS. Guys who buy expensive German cars just drive them and don't know that much about them. Go ask that R8 Audi driver what his tire pressure is?

Huh? The R8 is a car guys car. It has no flash, no one really knows what they are. The posers buy Lambos or Ferraris.

If we are generalizing.... in the car community, the vette is known as the old mans car. As soon as I got mine, I got so much crap from all my car guy friends about buying a retirement car.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Both are silly stereotypes. Not all Audi's are ridiculously expensive. And not all Vette owners are old men. But take a second and look around, you're on a Corvette forum. Exactly what type of response do you expect from a TV show comparing 2 high performance sportcars, conducting no performance tests and going on to declare one the winner simply because of its pricetag & status symbol?

The R8 may be a car guys car.. but the sticker price will keep the vast majority of car guys from ever owning one, yet alone driving/riding in one. The high cost of the vehicle alone, keeps it from being a true "car guys" car.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarks
The whole "pot vs kettle" thing comes to mind......

Now,I'm not talking about 99.9% of the members here. We know our cars inside & out. But this forum probably represents less than 1% of total Corvette owners. And the vast majority of them I meet at meets & such have no clue other than it's a Corvette.

And BTW,the R8 would spank the snot out of a GS with 99% of the drivers on this board,myself included.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
The R8 may be a car guys car.. but the sticker price will keep the vast majority of car guys from ever owning one, yet alone driving/riding in one. The high cost of the vehicle alone, keeps it from being a true "car guys" car.
Real "car guys" appreciate cars they can't currently afford.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
I appreciate the hell outta the Bugatti Veryon. But its still a $1.8 million car and something I'll never own. Every hear the phrase wish in one hand, shyt in the other?
That being the case, I tend to live in reality and appreciate most the things in life I can actually afford. And drive. Or alteast perhaps ride in one.. instead of reading about cars in magazines all day or putting up poster of them on my bedroom wall like im 12 years old.

Even still, look back thru all of my posts and thru most of the posts in this thread. Noone has dissed the R8 or said anything negative about the R8. The R8 is a great car and engineering acheivement in its own, in that it has the extremely unique ability to both perform like a supercar and possess the luxury & features of a world class luxury sedan. The reason we are upset is that the TV comparison dogged the Vette with no real reason behind it. (I dont think there is a person in the world who purchases a Vette for the world class interior). Beyond ******* the Vette, and taking a jab at Vette owners in the process.. There were no actual tests done, just 2 guys driving each car around a track at 60mph. Afterwards, they went on to declare one car was better because it would be more impressive to the Valet attendent. Please tell me what part of that conclusion any "real car" guy would be satisified with?

Last edited by Daekwan06; 08-05-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Notch
Safety Car

The high cost of the vehicle alone, keeps it from being a true "car guys" car.
My comment was with regard to your statement quoted above.

For a real "car guy", the price of a car does not influence his appreciation of the car. Simple as that.

With regard to the R8 vs Vette piece, it was merely "opinion", and as such shouldn't cause anyone to get bent out of shape or get their feelings hurt. Why do you care if someone has a different opinion than you? Does their opinion make you feel any differently about your car (it shouldn't)?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Every hear the phrase wish in one hand, shyt in the other? That being the case, I tend to live in reality and appreciate most the things in life I can actually afford. And drive. Or alteast perhaps ride in one.. instead of reading about cars in magazines all day or putting up poster of them on my bedroom wall like im 12 years old.
Have you ever been to a high-end concours event?

Do you appreciate Formula 1 cars?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:46 PM
PUNISHERC6
Heel & Toe

it was the V10 version
Old 08-05-2011, 04:53 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 66biskwik
Where can you watch Top Gear UK?
BBC...or netflix has every episode
Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by Notch
Amen.

Quick Reply: "The Car Show" - C6 Grand Sport vs Audi R8...