C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune vs warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:45 PM
dwat8841
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune vs warranty

Does a new tune to the A6 trans affect the warranty? Love my new GS but would like a little more snap to the sift points.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can allways return the tune to stock before you go to dealer.

i would go ahead and install a cooler thremostat and have tune done. have them turn the fan turn on temps down, tune the engine, turn down torgue management, increase shift firmness, decrease shift times and all n all just make the car more enjoyable.

warranty issuses come in to play when you have cams, superchargers n turbos. headers, exhaust , cai normally dealer wont say a thing.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:04 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

At least if you have a tranny problem it will.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
At least if you have a tranny problem it will.
not if you return tune to stock before taking it in to dealer.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Haven't we been thru this a 100 times before?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
not if you return tune to stock before taking it in to dealer.
So, you "tune" it and thus destroy engineering safeguards programmed into the car, which causes failure, and then you delibertly destroy the evidence by removing the "tune", and expect the manufacture to pay to repair the failure you induced? Hmmm.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:37 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by laconiajack
So, you "tune" it and thus destroy engineering safeguards programmed into the car, which causes failure, and then you delibertly destroy the evidence by removing the "tune", and expect the manufacture to pay to repair the failure you induced? Hmmm.
thats why you do your research on the shops you choose. so they dont blow your trans or motor. i cant warranty my car becuase of all the mods, but yes if my car was stock and i had the trans tuned by a shop with a good rep then h3ll yes id remove the tune and take it back for warranty.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thats why you do your research on the shops you choose. so they dont blow your trans or motor. i cant warranty my car becuase of all the mods, but yes if my car was stock and i had the trans tuned by a shop with a good rep then h3ll yes id remove the tune and take it back for warranty.
Then why not take it back to 'the shop with a good rep' and ask them to fix it on their dime. You and them knew better than GM on how to program the car. You and them should be paying to fix your mistake.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Just depends on GM and history file.

My understanding is that GM requests history file basically, and it shows ALL flashes to the computer and therefore gives the tune away (tips GM off that something was changed). You are unable to overwrite the history file, just accumulates more evidence lines and date of changes. I think dealers have to provide evidence (printout) to GM for many warranty repair charges. Somebody please expand on the exact concept, something like this I believe.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Glen220
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can allways return the tune to stock before you go to dealer.

Sure you can do that, but the factory can still tell the tune was changed. Once they see the change in the computers registry and it is not linked to an GM authorized reprogramming then they know you changed it and switched back and they will void the warranty.

If your warranty claim has nothing to do with anything that is computer controlled (like a bad water pump, or radiator fan, etc.) then it probably won't be checked, but if it is something major mechanical (blown motor or transmission, etc) and the factory asks for it to be checked by the dealer or sends a representative to check it, then you will have a problem
Old 07-24-2011, 07:02 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen220
Sure you can do that, but the factory can still tell the tune was changed. Once they see the change in the computers registry and it is not linked to an GM authorized reprogramming then they know you changed it and switched back and they will void the warranty.

If your warranty claim has nothing to do with anything that is computer controlled (like a bad water pump, or radiator fan, etc.) then it probably won't be checked, but if it is something major mechanical (blown motor or transmission, etc) and the factory asks for it to be checked by the dealer or sends a representative to check it, then you will have a problem
Perhaps, but even these items are related to the tune. If your now vanished tune increased the rev limit and spun your water pump faster than GM designed, no water pump warrantee for you. And Radiator fans are one of the first things messed with in tunes, programming them to come on and run longer than GM designed.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Why worry about returning it to stock in the first place? If you decide to tune it then shouldn't you live with that decision. Regardless GM has ways to catch people lately. I'm sure if your tranny gives out on the interstate you will probably not have a chance to re-tune it before it goes to the dealer.

Really people, fraud, lying, stealing, not taking responsibility is killing this country. Do what you want to your car but live with the consequences of your decision. Don't try to pass the buck on the rest of us.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 PM
iDoLiZeDbyALL
Instructor

I still have yet to see anyone get on here and post that they had a tune, flashed it backed and was denied warranty service! Anyone else?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by iDoLiZeDbyALL
I still have yet to see anyone get on here and post that they had a tune, flashed it backed and was denied warranty service! Anyone else?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1578113068

OK, now you have.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Tune versus warranty is quite simple. If you decide to modify the Vette, be prepared to filp the bill for damages. Not GM's responsibility to repair a Corvette due to improper tuning of the ECM/TCM. The 6 Speed Auto is very complex and if you decide to have it tuned, make sure you do your research. In the end, I would tune it and the A6 has so much to offer. The many A6's that I have tuned are night and day different and GM is overly conservative with the tuning. The moral of the story is not to get greedy with shift pressure, shift times and torque management.

That reflash was botched and not sure that counts.

Last edited by Brian@RPT; 07-24-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune vs warranty

Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
That probably took you a couple minutes to find (Just saying how common it actually is).
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian@RPT
That reflash was botched and not sure that counts.
It certainly "counts" to him. He's looking at paying for a new LS7 motor.

For whatever reason, botched attempt, GM has ways of finding out, whatever reason, he failed to pull the wool over GM's eyes after he attempted to.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Why worry about returning it to stock in the first place? If you decide to tune it then shouldn't you live with that decision. Regardless GM has ways to catch people lately. I'm sure if your tranny gives out on the interstate you will probably not have a chance to re-tune it before it goes to the dealer.

Really people, fraud, lying, stealing, not taking responsibility is killing this country. Do what you want to your car but live with the consequences of your decision. Don't try to pass the buck on the rest of us.
Very well said & I couldn't agree more. Sh*tfire,GM even tells us these days that a tune voids the powertrain warranty.

Most of my cars are modded to some degree or other & have been for years. But I can honestly say it never occured to me to try to "mask" them to get the manufacturer to pay for my toys breaking.

Quick Reply: Tune vs warranty