C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pioneer APP RADIO is here! Install Packages now available!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Not to turn this into yet another iPhone vs Android debate. But this is one of the reasons why I went with the iPhone. Many consumer level devices support docking, charging and syncing of all Apple iDevices thru the 30pin Apple connector. Nowhere is the more evident than in the car world, as pretty much all vehicles sold today are available with an "ipod connector" option.

Its one of the inherent problems with Android. Because Android is just the software and not the hardware. The hardware is manufactered by several different companies and none of them have agreed on a single interface. If they could all agree to use a standard interface, mini-USB perhaps.. then AV manufacters could start making more Android friendly consumer devices. Sure you can connect via Bluetooth to play music or use some features, but generally speaking BT doesnt have enough bandwidth to support larger data transfers and BT connections still do not charge your phone.

On topic: I'm definitely picking up one of these iPhone friendly Pioneer radios sooner or later.. and am glad to see Dennis supporting it. Only thing holding me back is reading reviews and deciding to go with the App Radio or a something more featured like the Z130BT. I'm already a huge Pandora fan, but mainly use TomTom for GPS. If Pioneer would announce TomTom app support for this App radio.. it would be a pretty immediate decision for me.

Z130 is awesome..
if your going to upgrade the rest of the system then go with the 130 or the 930 for the preouts alone.

The APP radio is great option for a iPhone user who wants the upgrades at minimal cost.

I wish i had the option to get an iPhone from US Cellular. Would love to be able to try this out!

Dennis
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

thats pretty sweet for $380! are they making a newer generation Z series?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm curious if anyone knows how much data is being downloaded when you are running your apps - especially a radio like Pandora. Verizon does not have an unlimited data plan.

Nice looking unit and probably the wave of the future.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:08 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Very tempting.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
Z130 is awesome..
if your going to upgrade the rest of the system then go with the 130 or the 930 for the preouts alone.

The APP radio is great option for a iPhone user who wants the upgrades at minimal cost.

I wish i had the option to get an iPhone from US Cellular. Would love to be able to try this out!

Dennis
And this is why youre getting my money. Because you know all the little things and go the extra step with these systems, especially when it comes to the wiring and installation for the DIY'ers like myself looking to save a buck or two. I'm definitely not upgrading the rest of the system, because I have no need for external amps/better speakers than what came from the factory. Sounds like all I need is the App Radio. The way I use my factory radio now is, thru the Aux-In headphone input I have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable that plugs into the headphone out jack on my iPhone. From there I use my iPhone to play all audio in the car and for GPS directions.

Be careful what you wish for.. With the iPhone exclusitivity contract having now expired with AT&T. There is now nothing stopping the next iPhone from being available on ALL carriers in the US, except radio compatibility. I wouldnt be surprised to see Sprint and a few other smaller carriers announcing they have the iPhone5. Even Tmobile has officially announced its support by providing free mini-SIM cards that will allow the iPhone4 to work on its network right now.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:41 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Not to turn this into yet another iPhone vs Android debate. But this is one of the reasons why I went with the iPhone. Many consumer level devices support docking, charging and syncing of all Apple iDevices thru the 30pin Apple connector. Nowhere is the more evident than in the car world, as pretty much all vehicles sold today are available with an "ipod connector" option.

Its one of the inherent problems with Android. Because Android is just the software and not the hardware. The hardware is manufactered by several different companies and none of them have agreed on a single interface. If they could all agree to use a standard interface, mini-USB perhaps.. then AV manufacters could start making more Android friendly consumer devices. Sure you can connect via Bluetooth to play music or use some features, but generally speaking BT doesnt have enough bandwidth to support larger data transfers and BT connections still do not charge your phone.

On topic: I'm definitely picking up one of these iPhone friendly Pioneer radios sooner or later.. and am glad to see Dennis supporting it. Only thing holding me back is reading reviews and deciding to go with the App Radio or a something more featured like the Z130BT. I'm already a huge Pandora fan, but mainly use TomTom for GPS. If Pioneer would announce TomTom app support for this App radio.. it would be a pretty immediate decision for me.
Im actually thinking of going the opposite way..selling my Z130bt for this unit because I dont use all the fluff options the Z130bt offers.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to say.. you and Dennis are certainly making the case for the App radio. And its not like I *want* to spend more money for the Z130BT lol.

Dennis.. any chance you will be at Corvettes of Carlisle selling/installing these units into customer cars? I'd certainly be interested and ready to pay now!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:49 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have to say.. you and Dennis are certainly making the case for the App radio. And its not like I *want* to spend more money for the Z130BT lol.

Dennis.. any chance you will be at Corvettes of Carlisle selling/installing these units into customer cars? I'd certainly be interested and ready to pay now!

I would love to be
Between being so far away and just buried in orders and installs here its just hard to get away. We are backed up 8 weeks on double din radio bezels for C5, Camaro, Firebird and Vipers right now alone

We can make this pretty easy for install with it all prewired with the exception of the dimming wire you would need to connect which is rather easy(orange white wire from radio to gray on traction control)
everythig else is plug n play for the most part
Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM
JCTaylor21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know when Pioneer is finished drinking the iKool-Aid (Apple Juice) and starts supporting other operating systems. I've never owned an Apple product and never will. Google Android OS is used by millions. I think it's time Pioneer realizes this.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by JCTaylor21
Let me know when Pioneer is finished drinking the iKool-Aid (Apple Juice) and starts supporting other operating systems. I've never owned an Apple product and never will. Google Android OS is used by millions. I think it's time Pioneer realizes this.

i agree
but note earlier checkbook comment one can only wonder how much Apple pays to the Pioneers of the world
Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

This looks great! What is the underlying OS, does Pioneer still use Microsoft OS?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Rafal
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Q, I ordered this unit but not from here, will I need anything extra to make it fit in the dash of my c6? I have a 2006 model with nav and Bose.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JCTaylor21
Millions may be right, but in 40 varieties and 3 interfaces. Lack of standards for plugin. I could see this woking via Bluetooth but not as a plug in to radio.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafal
Q, I ordered this unit but not from here, will I need anything extra to make it fit in the dash of my c6? I have a 2006 model with nav and Bose.

Thanks
If all you ordered is the actual radio itself....

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
1- Pac or Metra Harness
1- MEtra 95-3304 dash kit
1- gm antenna adapter
If you DO NOT have OnStar or don't care to keep it functional, get the C2R-GM24 interface. If you do have OnStar and want to keep it I'd suggest sending a PM to Dennis to ask exactly which unit works best in your car, but I'm guessing it would be the OS2-Bose.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Dennis is a great guy to do business with.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Rafal
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
If all you ordered is the actual radio itself....

If you DO NOT have OnStar or don't care to keep it functional, get the C2R-GM24 interface. If you do have OnStar and want to keep it I'd suggest sending a PM to Dennis to ask exactly which unit works best in your car, but I'm guessing it would be the OS2-Bose.
Thanks. I bought a brand new app radio in box off ebay but won't link it here so I don't ruin the business.

I do have onstar but I don't think it's working or care to check since I don't need or want it.

Thanks for help.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Rafal
Thanks. I bought a brand new app radio in box off ebay but won't link it here so I don't ruin the business.

I do have onstar but I don't think it's working or care to check since I don't need or want it.

Thanks for help.

they are more on EBAY than what I sell them for and can offer a warranty as well

340.00 is my price for radio only and EBAY is 369.99

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer APP RADIO is here! Install Packages now available!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM
txsugar08
Pro

I have a 2007 with Bose, Nav, Onstar and Steering Wheel Contols.
All I want to keep is Onstar and Steering Wheel Controls.
Beside the unit what will i need?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:44 PM
txsugar08
Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9T7...eature=related
Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 PM
SNAKE SKIN GREEN C6
Cruising

Radio looks nice

Quick Reply: Pioneer APP RADIO is here! Install Packages now available!