C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM
AC04
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate

Getting closer to buying my first vette. Quick question/poll for those that live in states requiring a front plate. Do you attach you front plate or take the chance of getting a ticket and not display a front plate? The thought of drilling holes in this beautiful car for a front license plate makes me sick. I feel nauseous thinking about it.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by AC04
Getting closer to buying my first vette. Quick question/poll for those that live in states requiring a front plate. Do you attach you front plate or take the chance of getting a ticket and not display a front plate? The thought of drilling holes in this beautiful car for a front license plate makes me sick. I feel nauseous thinking about it.
Several forum vendors have mounts that require no drilling and the plate is easily removable.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM
P0234
Pro

The stock plate mount attaches via adhesive. If you prep the area well, it should stick just fine without making any holes.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I live upstate in the peoples republic of NY and have over 20 driving seasons of no front plate. i do carry the plate as I have had cops ask me where it as, their looking to make sure 2 vechicles are not sharing the same plate!

Not too bad up here, but get closer to the big turd (aka NYC) and the cops appear to be more chickench*t about it.

As you live in NJ and it appears that most of your traffic cops are on a power trip I would be carefull.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

I take the chance
Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM
knyght4
Drifting

Currently DD on the nicer days like today with no front plate, 3 years running, and 2 verbal warnings.

I also own an 05 Subaru STI (large hood scoop and rear spoiler; for the winter months) and I don't run the front plate on it either.

A friend of mine drives an 06 Honda Si in NJ and used to live in Mass for a while, and she couldn't last a week without getting pulled over for no front plate.

Run without at your own risk.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a case of FPAA.
I've also started having a front plate anxiety attacks ever since I decided to move to Houston. WHAT SHOULD I DO!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Use suction cups to attach it to the inside of the lower passenger side windshield area. Its visible and out of the way.
Unless you let children or really short adults drive your car, there shouldn't be any obstruction of the view.

hope this helps!

Last edited by el es tu; 07-19-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

I just drive without the front plate, 3+ years and no problems. If I do get a ticket pay the fine and move on.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
VetinaVette
Racer

I lived in CA for 20 years and never put the front plate on any of my cars, just keep it in the trunk. The worst you'll get is a fix-it ticket.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
G00SEiv
Pro

I run with my front plate and still get tickets anyway for it...

Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Get a Top Flight front bracket, and the color matching license frames. I live in Virginia, which is a two plate state. It attaches with adhesive and mounts lower on the front. Much better design than the GM factory bracket. I am very happy with it!

www.topflightrepro.com
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Do a search on eBay and you will find aftermarket removable front mount for about 1/3 of the price that is being sold in the Corvette community.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by surburban99
Get a Top Flight front bracket, and the color matching license frames. I live in Virginia, which is a two plate state. It attaches with adhesive and mounts lower on the front. Much better design than the GM factory bracket. I am very happy with it!

www.topflightrepro.com

Definitely the way to go IMHO also. I have the mount installed (you can't see it) and carry the plate in the trunk if needed. Been driving upstate NY for a year with no issue.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

It gives the cops an excuse to stop you. Then you can get hit with a fine for not having the plate installed or improperly installed if it is on the dash. In NY the fine is $50 plus $85 surcharge so it isn't cheap. Was stopped last year while teaching my grandson how to drive the car so he could take it to the Prom. It was his first time to be stopped while driving and did not appreciate it. Luckily, the cop gave us a break. He used the lack of a plate to stop us and all of his questions had nothing to do with the plate until he was satisfied with our answers and then he said "Do you know why I stopped you?" Based on his previous questions I was getting a little concerned but when he asked that question I breathed a sigh of relief. The plate has been on the car ever since.

Bill
Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I do not like or use the front plate. I keep it in the car behind the seat. I will pay a ticket instead of installing a front plate.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
I live upstate in the peoples republic of NY and have over 20 driving seasons of no front plate. i do carry the plate as I have had cops ask me where it as, their looking to make sure 2 vechicles are not sharing the same plate!

Not too bad up here, but get closer to the big turd (aka NYC) and the cops appear to be more chickench*t about it.

As you live in NJ and it appears that most of your traffic cops are on a power trip I would be carefull.
Turd? Without New York City's contribution to your "republic's" tax base, your economy would be no better than Greece's.

Get notified of new replies

To Front License Plate

Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mid America has a holder that attaches to the bolts that secure the front spoiler. It is sort of removable if you attach with the supplied pins.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It gives the cops an excuse to stop you. Then you can get hit with a fine for not having the plate installed or improperly installed if it is on the dash. In NY the fine is $50 plus $85 surcharge so it isn't cheap. Was stopped last year while teaching my grandson how to drive the car so he could take it to the Prom. It was his first time to be stopped while driving and did not appreciate it. Luckily, the cop gave us a break. He used the lack of a plate to stop us and all of his questions had nothing to do with the plate until he was satisfied with our answers and then he said "Do you know why I stopped you?" Based on his previous questions I was getting a little concerned but when he asked that question I breathed a sigh of relief. The plate has been on the car ever since.

Bill
If you immediately ask them why they stopped you, it prevents all the BS of the back and forth that goes with "do you know why I stopped you?" They use that questioning technique so they can extract information from you in order to be able to use it in court. Its insulting that theyre basically asking you "will you admit to something so you cant fight it in court?".

ie: He could pull you for speeding, then you admit to a missing license plate and now two tickets lined up...

keeping the conversation to a minimum is key

good luck out there

Last edited by el es tu; 07-19-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
G00SEiv
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
i'm not sure if any of you have read my thread in the Northeast section, but I received a ticket for no plate because it was flipped under my car.

I have a stow and go plate and I washed my car the day before and forgot to flip it back up.

Yup, I got a ticket, and a fine of $195 (even after telling them my story) So I am not sure where you are getting your pricing from.

The cop pulled me over in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate