C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QA1 Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

UPDATE FEB 22, 2012

Sorry for the long delay. I got my car back from the body shop for the rear end collision that happened in Dec. I haven't installed the revised QA1 coilovers yet, but here are some pix and observations.

Name:  DSCN4914.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  138.8 KB

QA1 added a spherical bearing where the rubber bushing used to be. My concern here is a much harsher ride vs the more compliant rubber bushings. I totally felt the difference when QA1 sent me the poly bushings that they had me try to remedy the noise. It will be interesting to see how these SOLID sperical bearing do for ride comfort:
Name:  DSCN4916.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  89.3 KB

QA1 clearanced the lower spring perch ID to add more clearance between it and the shock body. Hopefully no more scrapped up shock body:
Name:  DSCN4917.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  41.7 KB
Name:  DSCN4921.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  34.2 KB

Depending on my schedule, I will hopefully be installing these in the next couple of days.

Last edited by gr86ss; 02-23-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never heard of QA1 coil-overs either. I use LGM coil-overs and I've never had any noises or issues. Can you isolate which corner the noise is coming from? If so I suggest you remove the assembly and inspect it thoroughly. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I've never heard of QA1 coil-overs either. I use LGM coil-overs and I've never had any noises or issues. Can you isolate which corner the noise is coming from? If so I suggest you remove the assembly and inspect it thoroughly. Good luck.
Wayne- did you, by chance, read this from the beginning to end? This thread has been an on going saga. Hopefully I'm at the tail end of it
Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by gr86ss
Wayne- did you, by chance, read this from the beginning to end? This thread has been an on going saga. Hopefully I'm at the tail end of it
You have been VERY patient with these guys - I would have not only asked for a refund but also a coupon for a free set of LG's
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

LOL

It's good to see them making some pretty big changes based on your (and perhaps others) experience. It has taken a while but it looks like they followed through. Hopefully problems solved.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
You have been VERY patient with these guys - I would have not only asked for a refund but also a coupon for a free set of LG's
At least I got refunded for the rear shocks that they modified..
Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
LOL

It's good to see them making some pretty big changes based on your (and perhaps others) experience. It has taken a while but it looks like they followed through. Hopefully problems solved.
We will see..

I'm just worried about the ride of the solid spherical bearing that is replacing the rubber (soft riding) bushings...

Remember, I daily drive my Vette and it used to have a F55 suspension, so I'm accustom to a "soft" ride. I totally felt the difference between the rubber and poly bushings.. way more harsh. I'm affraid that fixing the angle problems with the sperical bearing will just open up comfort issue for me...

Last edited by gr86ss; 02-23-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

We will see..

I'm just worried about the ride of the solid sperical bearing that is replacing the rubber (soft riding) bushings...

Remember, I daily drive my Vette and it used to have a F55 suspension, so I'm accustom to a "soft" ride. I totally felt the difference between the rubber and poly bushings.. way more harsh. I'm affraid that fixing the angle problems with the sperical bearing will just open up comfort issue for me...
I know it is not the same set up other than mine set up is also solid mounts on top.

I have Bilstein Sports and changed out the Bilstein top bushings to solid Pfadt Delrin Spherical Pin Top mount. I felt no difference in comfort in terms of harshness, but I do feel the suspension is freed up. I changed to the Pfadt mounts to relief the shock piston side loading as well as inhabits free articulation due to the rubber mounts.

In my case, the Pfadt Delrin Sphericals provided the free articulation, enabling the shocks to perform their designed functions to smooth out road irregularities. The Pfadt Delrin Spherical Pin Top mounts although solid, unlike solid engine or transmission mounts, it is part of the shock assembly, thus generated no adverse effect in terms of DD comfort. As a matter of my seat of the pants, in place of the previous delayed, sluggish rubbery effect, now, cushioning is direct/crisp and more comfortable.

IMO, the spherical and clearanceing of the spring mount is a move by QA in the right direction, given the previous problems with spring rubbing the body, poor angle top mount and the binding issues.

I hope that works out for you, your trial will surely benefit those want to use as well as the company making the coil overs.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by victorf

IMO, the spherical and clearanceing of the spring mount is a move by QA in the right direction, given the previous problems with spring rubbing the body, poor angle top mount and the binding issues.

I hope that works out for you, your trial will surely benefit those want to use as well as the company making the coil overs.
Mahalo Victor- I appreciate your input on the ride comfort of the spherical bushing vs the rubber. My whole intent for being patient and for being the guinea pig for all this was to benefit all our Corvette brothers
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

02.24.2012 UPDATE

I took a break from work today and installed the updated rear coilovers.

I only went around the block after installation and did some hard left to right and right to left weaving turns. I did hear a slight noise, which I suspect is the upper shock mount twisting and hitting the mounting bracket under this hard load. There was NO CLUNKING!

I will do some driving this weekend and give an update after I put some miles on them. My first impressions is that these fixes have cured the original issues that I had

More to come after I do some driving

Name:  0cb90168.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  104.4 KB
Name:  3721567f.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  72.1 KB
Name:  87d5bfb1.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  92.5 KB
Name:  e6c42945.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  64.6 KB

Last edited by gr86ss; 02-24-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 PM
3dNomad
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any updates?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I know this be old, but, we are waiting on the final analysis, is it fixed, any feed back?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Sorry All... I wanted to do some more miles on these, but here's a quick update.

Noise all went away. The spherical bearing did the trick for the noise issue. I recommended to QA1 to put some kind of stop on the bearing so that the upper shock mounting eyelet doesn't rotate and hit the upper mounting bracket during suspension travel.

Am I happy with these shocks... Yes and No....

I'm happy that I can lower the car and still get full suspension travel.

I'm not happy that I have to set the rear shocks at setting 8 in order to keep the rear end from pogo-ing when hitting a dip or expansion joint at freeway speeds. It's bad enough to lift my rear from the seat when set at 7 or lower. I still get some pogo-ing at 8, but just haven't had the chance to click it over to setting 9 to verify it will go away. I was hoping that the spherical bearing would fix this as I had read that the binding could cause a pogo-ing effect. Setting 3-5 is much like my F55 suspension, setting 8 is very much like a z51 setting.

I purchased this car specifically because it had a cush ride, now since I have to have the shock setting at a stiffer setting, I'm not a very happy camper. QA1s response to the pogo-ing was to "purchase" a set of double adjustable shocks from them... NOT... after all my troubles, you would think they would at least investigate this issue on their end. Their response to me was that they have never heard of any complaints about pogo-ing with their set up. I haven't had time to find the threads where others have complained about this effect on their shocks so that I could forward them to QA1.

My recommendation is that if you don't mind a harsh Z51/Z06 type ride, then these are a great lower price alternative to other coil overs. For street driving on perfect roads, these shocks handle awesome.

I daily drive my car, and I'm afraid that upping the setting to 9 to get rid of the pogo effect my make my commute not so friendly. I may end up selling these LOW mileage coil overs and purchase another brand in a double adjustable set up...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
I know this be old, but, we are waiting on the final analysis, is it fixed, any feed back?
Might be old, but VERY relevant considering.

Sorry All... I wanted to do some more miles on these, but here's a quick update.

Noise all went away. The spherical bearing did the trick for the noise issue. I recommended to QA1 to put some kind of stop on the bearing so that the upper shock mounting eyelet doesn't rotate and hit the upper mounting bracket during suspension travel.

Am I happy with these shocks... Yes and No....

I'm happy that I can lower the car and still get full suspension travel.

I'm not happy that I have to set the rear shocks at setting 8 in order to keep the rear end from pogo-ing when hitting a dip or expansion joint at freeway speeds. It's bad enough to lift my rear from the seat when set at 7 or lower. I still get some pogo-ing at 8, but just haven't had the chance to click it over to setting 9 to verify it will go away. I was hoping that the spherical bearing would fix this as I had read that the binding could cause a pogo-ing effect. Setting 3-5 is much like my F55 suspension, setting 8 is very much like a z51 setting.

I purchased this car specifically because it had a cush ride, now since I have to have the shock setting at a stiffer setting, I'm not a very happy camper. QA1s response to the pogo-ing was to "purchase" a set of double adjustable shocks from them... NOT... after all my troubles, you would think they would at least investigate this issue on their end. Their response to me was that they have never heard of any complaints about pogo-ing with their set up. I haven't had time to find the threads where others have complained about this effect on their shocks so that I could forward them to QA1.

My recommendation is that if you don't mind a harsh Z51/Z06 type ride, then these are a great lower price alternative to other coil overs. For street driving on perfect roads, these shocks handle awesome.

I daily drive my car, and I'm afraid that upping the setting to 9 to get rid of the pogo effect my make my commute not so friendly. I may end up selling these LOW mileage coil overs and purchase another brand in a double adjustable set up...
Thanks for the feedback on the updates. Seems to be a vast improvement on what you originally had, but may need some more effort. Would you say commensurate for the 50% cost reduction vs Pfadt?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
Thanks for the feedback on the updates. Seems to be a vast improvement on what you originally had, but may need some more effort. Would you say commensurate for the 50% cost reduction vs Pfadt?
Yes, it's a vast improvement. I would say that these are worth the money, if you don't mind a Z51/Z06 type ride. I was truly hoping to keep the ride comfort that I originally had with my F55 and be able to lower the car.

They do handle WAY better than the compressed (from being lowered) F55 shocks that they replaced..

Name:  1df4e91f.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  60.2 KB
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, it's a vast improvement. I would say that these are worth the money, if you don't mind a Z51/Z06 type ride. I was truly hoping to keep the ride comfort that I originally had with my F55 and be able to lower the car.

They do handle WAY better than the compressed (from being lowered) F55 shocks that they replaced..

After all your hard works to help them addressed the flaws, they should have send you a set of double adjustable for compensation.

Now even one forum vender is carrying the QA1 line!

I am very hesitant, wouldn't mind spending more on the proven design for the long haul!

Nice rear by the way, especially your rears come correctly painted IIRC?

Get notified of new replies

To QA1 Coilovers?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is lowered and has Z06 leafs and the Pfadt JOC bits.

I track the car 4-5 times a year, so getting around a road course is the primary concern for me. My home track is very bumpy, however, so the "pogoing" you speak of worries me.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased this car specifically because it had a cush ride,
Lol, what?

That was just about the line where I realized that your review wouldn't be relevant to me
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 AM
gr86ss
Drifting

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
My car is lowered and has Z06 leafs and the Pfadt JOC bits.

I track the car 4-5 times a year, so getting around a road course is the primary concern for me. My home track is very bumpy, however, so the "pogoing" you speak of worries me.
I only have these adjusted about half way, so I'm sure that for track use you would probably want to go with 650lb springs and also crank up the adjustment. That will definately get rid of the pogo effect. Great for the track, but not very rider friendly on the streets..

I have the 450 springs in the front and the 550 springs in the rear

Quick Reply: QA1 Coilovers?