C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Possible Bad Vette Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Force Fed Gorilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Possible Bad Vette Purchase

I've been trolling these forums for the last couple years until I could afford a C6. I found one a couple weeks ago that fit my budget and bought it. The car has a salvage title due to flooding and the buyer was forthcoming about that. He said he had taken everything apart and replaced the electrical components and parts that were damaged. He gave a short list of items that still needed work (HVAC controls, some seat adjustments, ABS lights, and a code for the crank sensor) but otherwise said the car ran great. No issues for the time he had owned it (which was at least six months).

I bought the car after having the local dealership inspect it. I had the car shipped to my residence as I couldn't get a temp permit to drive it back due to the salvage title. Right before the car shipped out the seller went on vacation and had the employees of a shop he owns load the car onto the carrier.

Well the carrier dropped the car off at a Walmart parking lot (to avoid driving through our neighborhood). Car wouldn't start at all. Bought a new battery, a new FOB battery, tried every trick I could find researching these forums. Nothing worked and the only sound I get is what sounds like a relay clicking behind the air vents on the dash. I gave up after working on it for 2-3hrs and had AAA tow the car to my house.

Driver of the carrier said the seller's employees had to work on the car for 30 minutes just to get it started and on the truck so it sounds like it was having issues from the get-go. I asked the seller (through text as it's the only semi-reliable way of contacting him) if he would be willing to have my local dealership diagnose and fix the no-start issue as I feel this is only fair. While I didn't expect a perfect car, I did expect one that started up and ran well. It's extremely hard to get a hold of the seller and I'm about at wits end with this. As of now I have a gorgeous garage ornament but I'd really like to drive the car I've waited years to purchase.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:03 PM
06z06_427
Advanced

Do you have any type of emails or communications where he stated it was a running car? Might be time to print all that out in case he tries to stick you with the entire bill.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

It is time to check state law as to your rights and ramifications, don't delay, the clock is ticking.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess first see if he is willing to take care of it. Assuming he doesn't the casual sale of a motor vehicle laws vary from state to state... In general most casual private sales are as is... Buying a "salvage" title vehicle with known issues is well as you have probably figured out a bad idea.

If you know a attorney as soon as the seller says your on your own or even before it would be a good idea to find out the local law and see if you have any recourse.

Good luck, and I'm sorry this is your first Corvette experience...
Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I would immediately hire a lawyer and have the transaction rescinded.

Definitely gather all of your documentation related to the transaction.

Personnally, I would not buy almost any vehicle with a salvage title.

A beater car or pick-up truck, for local "utility use" would be a different story...
depending on why it was salvaged.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Have no suggestions, but do have some thoughts and you probably know what they are.
I don't want to sound mean or anything like that, because I realize this car you saved for and is your dream. I hope, however, you got a really good deal on it. Salvage title, flood car, sight unseen by you, far enough away for it to be shipped..Wow. Flood cars are noted ,of course, for electrical problems and this is exactly what you have. It will be a nightmare to find out what's wrong. Then you have the problem of the runaway seller. He's got his(should say your) money and is gone, no communication, no nothing. All around bad situation. I wish I could suggest what to do, but you made so many errors here, I don't know where to begin. I hope it all works out.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 PM
ReosLS2
Instructor

I don't know ALOT of variables here.Did you see the car before you bought it, did you already pay in FULL, what did the dealership that inspected it say about it's condition?Is the "shop" from where it was shipped an auto shop?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post your location and possibly you can find a expert near you that can look it over, sounds like you may need one. Maybe its something very simpleand the car will turn out to be a great deal.

More details about the car also,please

Bert

Roll Tide!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:52 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbyosto
Have no suggestions, but do have some thoughts and you probably know what they are.
I don't want to sound mean or anything like that, because I realize this car you saved for and is your dream. I hope, however, you got a really good deal on it. Salvage title, flood car, sight unseen by you, far enough away for it to be shipped..Wow. Flood cars are noted ,of course, for electrical problems and this is exactly what you have. It will be a nightmare to find out what's wrong. Then you have the problem of the runaway seller. He's got his(should say your) money and is gone, no communication, no nothing. All around bad situation. I wish I could suggest what to do, but you made so many errors here, I don't know where to begin. I hope it all works out.

You just bought a huge money pit, and I don't see any deception. The seller disclosed that the car was severely damaged and had electrical problems (which is expected on a flood car with a salvage title).

I hope you still have a ton of money saved. You can give it all to a lawyer, or you can give it to a dealer to see if they can get it running. It might be simple.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, I'm so sorry. Legally all used car sales are as is unless otherwise noted on the bill of sale. The exception is when the used car was misrepresented. In this case it sounds like he was up front with you. If all else fails you could make a few $ by parting it out.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 PM
r2swift
Instructor

oh no you made the same mistake i did,i bought one of the lemons and so far Ive invested $14.000 on a $27.000 deal for a vette, get you a attorney I'm going Thur it now, It is a head ache don't believe a word he says, Treat it like that. I wish you would have read my post about buying a used car, Good luck i really feel for you.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:32 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

caveat emptor
Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 PM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot

You just bought a huge money pit, and I don't see any deception. The seller disclosed that the car was severely damaged and had electrical problems (which is expected on a flood car with a salvage title).
What about the dealer who looked it over, of course in the end he is liable for the fee paid to look at it
Old 07-16-2011, 10:44 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How handy are you? How much do you have to spend on this? It may be a simple fix and maybe a dealer can plug into the car and find what is wrong.

It may be worth looking into an aftermarket computer and harness just to run the engine, that way you can eliminate all of the old wiring and connections that will continue to corrode over time.

I don't think you will ever get the seller to give you a dime back for it. You can either pay a lot to get it running, sell it for parts, or find a bigger sucker than you.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

What year is it?2005 c6 manual maybe?Could be DBS if it is or a bad solenoid if it isn't.You went into this with eyes open as the seller did in fact disclose the salvage title and the reason for it.Unfortunately,hind sight is 20/20 and you should have runn far far away.Now what you have is a big headache on your hands....Sorry for your troubles and good luck straightening out the car.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM
zx1216
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you are better off to just cut your losses and just get the thing fixed. You knew it has some issues and was a salvage title car so it is what it is.

Moving on to the problem... Is it a 6 speed or auto? What year? I believe the clicking noise is the steering column lock. The M6 05 cars have issues with this some times and the car won't start. Try disconnecting the battery for a while and hook it back up. This kind of "resets" the column lock and the car should start. It's happened to me once and that did the trick.

If that's not it i would have no idea where to start... I also find it hard to believe the car runs when there is something wrong with the crank sensor, might be something to look into first.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Slogo
Racer

Default you're screwed

Buying a salvged car from a wreck is bad,.buying a salvage that was "duncked" is ridiculous. There are enough electrical problems on new Vettes w/o getting wet .One look at the wiring diagram would scare anyone. sorry

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice on Possible Bad Vette Purchase

Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 PM
bluez06ny
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might just be a bad relay contact. If the car ran before it should run again.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

My son is with Mercedes Benz and they consider all flood tagged cars as totaled and sold only for salvage parts. The problems with ongoing electrical nightmares on flood cars never end.

The cost to make everything as before the water damage occurred again normally exceeds the cost you could buy a similar clean titled nice clean car for.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know what, if any, representations you have from the seller but arguably he was forthright about the car's history and condition. At the time he sold the car it very well may have run in a "satisfactory" manner (with the exceptions noted), however, after severe water damage deterioration is to be expected over time. Was the seller the owner of the vehicle when it was submerged? If so it's curious why he wouldn't have accepted the insurance proceeds instead of selling the salvage title vehicle himself.

IMO it would be worth your money to have the no-start problem diagnosed and the car's overall condition evaluated by a competent dealership. Depending on their assessment and if need be, gather up whatever documentation you have and seek legal counsel. I hope not but I fear this may be an expensive 'lesson' for you. Good luck and let us know what transpires.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Possible Bad Vette Purchase