C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Clutch Fluid - Modified Ranger Method

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kimdjay
so I am a bit confused, I've been reading about changing the clutch fluid out and how important it is. Also how everyone says that it will get dark and dirty. So... I figured I show probably do this right? Well mine is a 2006 with 41k miles. I opened up the clutch fluid reservoir and it is totally clear beautiful looking fluid. How come its that way? isn't it supposed to get dirty?
My guess is that either you are a very lucky corvette owner or you are looking at the brake fluid reservoir. If it is indeed the clutch fluid reservoir that you are looking at then the GM engineers should study your car and fix their original design.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 AM
kimdjay
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the brake fluid is actually much dirtier looking. Maybe I should change that out. i certainly will continue to watch both of these. Just didn't know these needed to be changed. Never changed them in any of my other cars i've owned. hmm good stuff to know.
The following users liked this post:
snappy02 (06-02-2016)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 AM
unnerv
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this over the weekend and it looks like mine is one of the lucky ones too. The color of the fluid was a honey in color and pretty clear. I'll keep an eye on it, but thanks for the easy method. I was in and out in about 10 min. I flushed it twice to get the honey colored fluid out, now I still have about 1/2 liter that I don't know what to do with. Is the low vescosity pentosin ok to use on the brakes?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Henryr01
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve only had my vette for about 45 days and after reading this decided to take a look at it. Sure enough, it was really BLACK, low in level and had “stuff” floating on the top.
Due to time, I just topped it off and used a paper towel to pick up the stuff floating, but will be acquiring the kit to do the modified ranger method this weekend.

As a side note, I really drive my vette. It is NOT a garage queen and is driven in a “spirited” manner as soon as the engine warms up. I bought it in July with 17K miles and I’m rapidly approaching 29K. AND I work from home with ZERO commute. 

Thanks for everyone taking time to post for us new members!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

While this modified method might be better I find that with my every 2 month standard Ranger method cleaning ( once ) the fluid stays golden.

Just hard to teach an old dog new tricks...

Nevertheless great write up of new procedure.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

I just purchased my 2011 GS a month or so ago. Only 15k but stupid me I changed the oil when I got it but didn't check brake or clutch fluids. Things have been great but after a few fun laps at the Cresson track on Monday my clutch went to the floor. I check the reservoir and it was basically empty. I have added new fluid and tried the Ranger method but no luck. Still no pedal. Will the modified method with the syringe push out any air bubbles or is my only choice the reach the bleeder valve?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default clutch

Originally Posted by Whoop
I just purchased my 2011 GS a month or so ago. Only 15k but stupid me I changed the oil when I got it but didn't check brake or clutch fluids. Things have been great but after a few fun laps at the Cresson track on Monday my clutch went to the floor. I check the reservoir and it was basically empty. I have added new fluid and tried the Ranger method but no luck. Still no pedal. Will the modified method with the syringe push out any air bubbles or is my only choice the reach the bleeder valve?
most likely you have an air bubble in the line that you have to bleed out...you might have to pump it quite a few times and check fluid level until it comes out...if you cant then you might have to take it from the bottom...however one of the major causes of the clutch pedal to the floor is overheating of the oem hydraulic line. under heavy load - racing events, the fluid gets hot and has a hard time going thru the small oem rubber line. there are several mfr'rs that make retrofit kits which replaces the entire line with a bigger ss braided line that allows more fluid to get to the slave cylinder in the bellhousing engaging the TO bearing with ease. other causes include clutch dust build up in the shaft and not using high performance high temp fluid or not changing used fluid out.

I had the same pblm and ended up replacing the line with
Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit and it solved the problem..i also would change the fluid per Ranger Method every time I went to the track...kept it very clean...doing these two things it helped a lot...good luck
Old 09-28-2015, 12:19 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

While I had no problem sourcing the black, nylon tubing I did go with a larger ID (.95) than what the OP originally specified. While the ID increased to .95 the OD remained the same at .125:
Black Nylon 12 Semi-Rigid Tubing, 0.095" ID, 0.125" OD, 0.015" Wall, 25' Length: Industrial Plastic Tubing: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Black Nylon 12 Semi-Rigid Tubing, 0.095" ID, 0.125" OD, 0.015" Wall, 25' Length: Industrial Plastic Tubing: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Since I had Amazon Prime shipping was free and showed up at my house 2 days later.

However finding the syringes were an issue. I checked with local vet supply stores (didn't stock the larger 100ml size I originally wanted). The only syringe I could find at Walmart (for mixing oil/gas for 2-strokes) did not use a rubber plunger end so pulling the plunger was very tight because it was plastic to plastic. Any of the syringes I found online (100ml) or larger had a 4-6 week delivery time because they were going from Chinese suppliers. So I went a different route and went with an inexpensive meat seasoning injector syringe from my local Ace Hardware store:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...pla=pla_986584

There are a couple advantages to this option:
1. They are cheaper than online options. I payed $3.27 per syringe, so I purchased two so that I could use one for extracting dirty fluid and one for filling clean fluid.
2. The needle tip is removable from the syringe, allowing you to easily swap out the nylon tubing for larger ID hose for some other extraction purpose.
3. You can find similar meat seasoning injector syringes everywhere (e.g. grocery stores, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, etc). Altough it is 60ml that is more than enough to flush the clutch line in one pass.

I used a dremel to cut the needle tip and connected the black nylon tubing to the needle using 1/2" of clear fuel line I had from a 2-stroke engine carb rebuild I had previously done. The fuel line kits are available at just about anywhere that carries/services 2-stoke lawn equipment: small engine repair shops, Advanced Auto Parts, etc. You could use standard clear vinyl hose (also available at Ace) if you don't want to bother with fuel line since the black nylon hose and the injector needle end butt right up to each other exposing almost none of the vinyl hose to brake fluid.

You only need about 18-24" of nylon tubing so I have plenty of left-over material if anyone needs some.

I performed the clutch fluid replacement on my MT6 Grandsport this weekend using this method. Took me longer to assemble the pieces than it did to perform the fluid swap. After removing the dirty/black fluid from the clutch reservoir I snaked the black nylon tubing down the hole in the clutch reservoir as far as it would go to remove the old fluid from the supply line. After wiping out the reservoir to remove the old fluid residue I snaked the line back down and pushed fresh fluid from the bottom up. What was suprising to me was the amount of free-floating particulate that came surging up into the reservoir as I pushed fluid in from the bottom. I removed the remaining dirty fluid/debris from the reservoir and kept pushing clean fluid in until the fluid in the reservoir was clean as new. While I had the fluid and syringes out I went ahead and did a full fluid swap on the brake master cylinder as well. Fluid quantities worked out perfect as I used all of the freshly opened bottle of Prestone DOT 4 Synthetic brake fluid between the two swaps.

Last edited by RC4G; 09-28-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 AM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone else receive a letter from GM on the clutch pedal to the floor issue? I got one last week, said if you've had repair they'll reimburse, otherwise they extended the 'warranty' for this issue. Not at home but can get/post details later.

I've used the original Ranger method for years and never any issues with the clutch on 3 C6 Z06's. So I'll just keep doing it....

Last edited by INFERNO Z07; 10-05-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:52 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by INFERNO Z07
Did anyone else receive a letter from GM on the clutch pedal to the floor issue? I got one last week, said if you've had repair they'll reimburse, otherwise they extended the 'warranty' for this issue. Not at home but can get/post details later.

I've used the original Ranger method for years and never any issues with the clutch on 3 C6 Z06's. So I'll just keep doing it....
Yessir. Just got the same letter.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Whoop
I just received a letter from GM about the clutch. Did you get one? They may fix it for free.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:47 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2011 M6 GS and also received the letter. The letter says your clutch may fail if "unapproved" fluids are used. So I guess my question is.... Is there any problem with using Prestone dot 4 fluid?
Old 10-13-2015, 07:23 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default DOT 3 vs DOT 4 not brands of DOT 4

Originally Posted by jwf
I have a 2011 M6 GS and also received the letter. The letter says your clutch may fail if "unapproved" fluids are used. So I guess my question is.... Is there any problem with using Prestone dot 4 fluid?
From what I understand it is from people servicing the Clutch Slave Cylinder Master Cylinder with DOT 3 as the Clutch Slave Cylinder Master Cylinder top is not placarded as DOT 4 Fluid, but the Brake Master Cylinder is placarded DOT 3.

Last edited by jsucraig; 10-13-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:49 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the GM recommended DOT4 Fluid. I don't use anything else.

GM Part# 19299570. It's easy enough to get at your local Chevrolet Dealer.

The picture below came out big! Any way to adjust that?

Chuck M

Old 10-13-2015, 08:19 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hotmotorsports

Chuck M

Prestone DOT 4 Meets the same FMVSS 116 and SAE J1703 & J1704, that's what make it DOT 4, as the AC Delco GM PN: 19299570 because it is also DOT 4.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:31 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jsucraig
Prestone DOT 4 Meets the same FMVSS 116 and SAE J1703 & J1704, that's what make it DOT 4, as the AC Delco GM PN: 19299570 because it is also DOT 4.
I know, but for me I'll stick to the GM stuff!

Chuck M
Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Chuck M

Get notified of new replies

To Replace Clutch Fluid - Modified Ranger Method

Old 10-13-2015, 02:16 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Chuck M
While that is the safest decision, the GM fluid, for all we know, maybe relabeled Prestone fluid and made by Prestone.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:40 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Chuck M
My owners manual specifies "Super" Dot 4:

"Hydraulic Clutch System Hydraulic Clutch Fluid. Use only GM Part No. U.S. 88958860, in Canada 88901244, Super DOT-4 brake fluid."

Like you, I use the actual GM stuff, even if it's a couple of bucks more. So far no issues with 4+ years of daily driving and flushes once yearly. I alternate between Ranger method and a full flush & bleed out at the dealer each year.

Whats the difference between Super and regular Dot 4?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 PM
T1gra
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my $32 Amazon "Modified Ranger" kit. The fuel line is for mating the nylon tubing to the syringe. Note that I chose ones with catheter tips.

Hope this works!

Name:  uUmxK9L.png
Views: 90
Size:  411.3 KB

Quick Reply: Replace Clutch Fluid - Modified Ranger Method