C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C7 News in August Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Think I will keep my C6 unless they tamed the C7 style down. Concepts usually do not look much like the actual end results. IMO - Nothing like the rumble of an 8 cylinder. Harley-Davidson V-Rod is an example of how people get accustomed to certain things and have a difficult time accepting. I am sure the Corvette designers will be very cautious with changes.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenwnv
there's no replacement for displacement.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
We will see a combination of different things including direct injection which is being debugged on the GT2 car now, more than likely a DCT which is being debugged on the GT2 car now plus maybe an adaptation of the so called short hybrid similar to the ones on the Malibu, Buick, etc. This gets a huge part of the city fuel mileage benefit of a hybrid without going full hybrid. The engine will shut off when the car is stopped, the hybrid battery will be smaller and lower weight which combined and it will get some power boost from the electric motor when needed. This will give the car a lot better city mileage thus bringing the overall average up quite a bit.

Bill
And, the fuel tank(s) will hold 6.2 gal....
Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bla bla bla bla bla... according to my crystal ball the Vette will always be comparable to performance cars twice it's price, it will continue to be faster and better with every year, no one needs to panic, "1974" will not happen again -all is good, we've got nothing to worry about
Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I bought my GS right on time before the C7 comes out. Love the body lines of the C6 wide body and I got good old fashion V8 power with the LS3!!! I'm set for life
Old 07-05-2011, 02:17 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the Corvette, and every other GM car, should have an option to be a Hybrid engine. That fact that they believe that the Chevy Volt (which has yet to be released), is their token electric/hybrid car and that's all they need to appease the masses speaks to many reasons why American car companies are behind in innovation. The future does not bode well for GM if they keep thinking this way. The bean counters will win the money, but America will surely lose the global game.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem, we have come full circle. Started with a six and now we're going back to a six.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DT455
I bought my GS right on time before the C7 comes out. Love the body lines of the C6 wide body and I got good old fashion V8 power with the LS3!!! I'm set for life
That's what I said about my 1998 Vert.

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 07-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
I think the Corvette, and every other GM car, should have an option to be a Hybrid engine. That fact that they believe that the Chevy Volt (which has yet to be released), is their token electric/hybrid car and that's all they need to appease the masses speaks to many reasons why American car companies are behind in innovation. The future does not bode well for GM if they keep thinking this way. The bean counters will win the money, but America will surely lose the global game.
The Volt has been released BTW and the Caddy division is actively working on a comparable that is more upscale.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM
topelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the plot thickens! We'll all just have to wait and see!! I still have my eye on a 2011 or 2012 Grand Sport to probably be my last vette. (Retired!) I'm just waiting for the final C7 pics from GM before I drop the hammer.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Volts been out since December of last year.

EAssist (BAS+) in the 2012 Regal, 2012 LaCrosse (where it is standard) and the 2013 Malibu Eco is a mild hybrid solution that GM is pushing mass market.

Also GM has had a Hybrid (token one no less) in production since 2008/9 the Two Mode Hybrid trucks (Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon).

GM's next generation of Hybrids (BAS3, Four Mode, and Voltec 2.0) are around the corner. One for every purpose from mild hybrid (BAS+\BAS3), to full hybrid (Two\Four Mode) to range extending electric (Voltec 1.0\2.0).

Sadly you are probably in the majority in being misinformed of these items.
Thanks for the info LS3 MN6.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I stopped at "Motor Trend says..."
Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Honestly, what I got out of the Motor Trend Article is they absolutely know nothing about the future C7. Maybe what they should have done is admit they know nothing & simply do a survey on what people think on this forum. The end result would be about the same with the exception that some people here might be better at speculating.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 AM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nothing new to be learned from the article on the C7. Basically tells you what you already knew about the C7, and that they don't know anything more than you know, and that they just wasted three minutes of your time having you read it.

The interview with Bob Lutz is another story. Is it just me? I find it slightly discouraging that a man who I could have sworn was the Socrates for Corvette philosophy is telling us that the V8 is dead, and that you should really drive an Evora.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 AM
zland
Drifting

Originally Posted by GS-Zero
Nothing new to be learned from the article on the C7. Basically tells you what you already knew about the C7, and that they don't know anything more than you know, and that they just wasted three minutes of your time having you read it.

The interview with Bob Lutz is another story. Is it just me? I find it slightly discouraging that a man who I could have sworn was the Socrates for Corvette philosophy is telling us that the V8 is dead, and that you should really drive an Evora.
He is working for a different company & knows where who is buttering his bread.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 AM
quantum-theory
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondring if the newly testing laser replacement for spark plugs will come fast enough to increase gas mileage enough that they will keep the V8.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:56 AM
N8sFavToy
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SubjectAlpha
Turn the key? What is this, 1986?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C7 News in August Motor Trend

Old 07-06-2011, 02:32 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to have a c6 zo6.....the last of the big engines........true king of the corvette family......all natural, no additives needed.....
Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imho, the zo6 is a fine natural woman.....looks great without makeup.....zr1.....a fixed up barbie doll that only a few can afford......gs....a teenager looking up and admiring a grown woman's natural beauty.......the regular c6 coupe......a beautiful skinny woman who wants to have curves.........take your pick.......corvettes have different styles for different tastes....
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 AM
zland
Drifting

Originally Posted by msnbound
Imho, the zo6 is a fine natural woman.....looks great without makeup.....zr1.....a fixed up barbie doll that only a few can afford......gs....a teenager looking up and admiring a grown woman's natural beauty.......the regular c6 coupe......a beautiful skinny woman who wants to have curves.........take your pick.......corvettes have different styles for different tastes....
Nice analogy

At this point I got a skinny gal that I am trying to convince myself is as appealing as your natural beauty. You know how beauties go, high maintenance, everyone wants her, & at this point I can only fantasize because I cannot afford her so I did the best I could do, got her little sister.

Quick Reply: Corvette C7 News in August Motor Trend