C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any members here a Consumer la Attorney or work for any kind of car dealership? N/H

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:56 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any members here a Consumer la Attorney or work for any kind of car dealership? N/H

Heres my scenario. My car was highly modified with a forged shortblock. I took it out and sold the motor. I had a new engine built for the car but used an LS2 block instead of an Ls3 to save money. I didnt think it was a big deal since the engine was new. Traded the car in and the check engine light was on. I thought no big deal, the dealership that I traded the car to would fix it. WRONG!! They called me up and told me they found out the car had an earlier than 08 block on it and couldnt sell it, and then told me they couldnt smog it so I needed to come pick the car up or give them back their car.

I picked the car up fixed the check engine lights, smogged the car MYSELF and dropped it back off to the dealer. Keep in mind, it had been 1.5 months since I bought the new car. My corvette loan had already been paid off and the new loan I got on the new Jeep was already funded. I told the dealer our transaction is now done and walked out. They called me the next day and said the car wouldnt start, and that I needed to give them back their car and they would do a new loan on the Corvette I just traded in. I told the dealer to kiss my sac as CA is an "As is" state and the vehicle was used, not my problem they dont like the block in the car. They are threatning legal action and have given me a choice. They will give me 10k off a new Grand Cherokee Summit which would give me the same payment as the Rubicon I just bought that was 9k less, OR we go to court. I am seriously considering taking the Corvette back and ordering a new Grandsport. I dont know if I would have this problem again. They never asked me anything about the car before I traded it in so I didnt misrepresent anything. Am I legally bound to take the Corvette back does anybody know?

Last edited by vettethret; 07-03-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Since you are running out of time, you may want to call an attorney well versed in consumer law in your area. He may just give you a free consultation. Remember that you signed paperwork when you sold them the car, as I am sure you know. Did you read all the fine print that might be on it? Well, I am 100% positive nobody here did. Just protect yourself.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Let's see...You expected the dealer to check the engine before you sold it to him ? What if you had bought the car and then found out it had an LS2 instead of an LS3 ? You'd be screaming bloody murder. I don't blame the dealer for wanting to nix the deal.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

You sold them a cobbed up car and you are blaming them because they trusted you to provide a car that had the proper equipment to match its serial number?

Bill
Old 07-03-2011, 05:32 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I wanted to trade my GTO in on my Corvette and I told the dealer up front that it had headers without cats. They said I would have to replace everyting or keep it so it is now my daily driver. If I bought an 08 and found a LS2 in it I would be mad.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with the dealer about not being able to smog it. You need an attorney to tell you if you had an obligation to disclose that before trading it in. I was under the understanding that once the deal was done there is nothing they can do. Buyer beware. Keep us informed and good luck neighbor .
Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Take your car back.You will lose in court.I'm not an attorney,and I didn't stay at a Holiday inn express last night either,but I do have some common sense.You sold them a car that was not accuratley represented and they paid you for what the car was supposed to be but was not!

Get notified of new replies

To Any members here a Consumer la Attorney or work for any kind of car dealership? N/H

Quick Reply: Any members here a Consumer la Attorney or work for any kind of car dealership? N/H