C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
luckyj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slight Oil Leak

I've noticed a single drop of oil on the garage floor under my 2007 coupe, 8996 miles each time I drive the Vette. It does not appear right after driving but I think after the car has cooled down. I have two artifical knees and cannot get down to see where it is coming from. I'm in a parade a week from Sat. After that it is going in for an oil change. Maybe then I can see where it is coming from. It is so slight, that maybe this is normal. I just thought I would bounce it off the experts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jim
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyj
I've noticed a single drop of oil on the garage floor under my 2007 coupe, 8996 miles each time I drive the Vette. It does not appear right after driving but I think after the car has cooled down. I have two artifical knees and cannot get down to see where it is coming from. I'm in a parade a week from Sat. After that it is going in for an oil change. Maybe then I can see where it is coming from. It is so slight, that maybe this is normal. I just thought I would bounce it off the experts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jim
No Oil leak is normal. It shouldn't affect your parade participation but definitely have them look at it when they do the oil change.

My guess is the oil pan is leaking. A lot of folks are commenting on that in the CF.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Markallamerican
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 07 had the same problem. Dealer replaced pan gasket under warranty last October.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:01 PM
a_drogan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim
When I was at the dealer two weeks ago they informed me that I need new oil pan gasket. My 07 has 15K miles. First they say cost me $1,000.00 as not under the 5yr/100K miles warranty. After posting on CF and getting many helpful answers that it IS a warranty item I called the dealer back. Next thing I know, okay it IS covered under the 5yr warranty.

Seems to be a common problem. I plan to bring the car in soon to have them fix it. Of course I will says many prayers because it is not easy and takes about 8 hours.

Hope your problem is something not as involved. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by a_drogan
When I was at the dealer two weeks ago they informed me that I need new oil pan gasket. My 07 has 15K miles. First they say cost me $1,000.00 as not under the 5yr/100K miles warranty. After posting on CF and getting many helpful answers that it IS a warranty item I called the dealer back. Next thing I know, okay it IS covered under the 5yr warranty.

Seems to be a common problem. I plan to bring the car in soon to have them fix it. Of course I will says many prayers because it is not easy and takes about 8 hours.

Hope your problem is something not as involved. Good luck.
You would think an engine oil leak should be covered under a powertrain warranty. It sounds like the dealer is one of those bad ones.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Markallamerican
My 07 had the same problem. Dealer replaced pan gasket under warranty last October.
me too, done this March, there seem to be a lot of posts on this now
Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will replace the gasket under warranty but if it were me, I would want to be absolutely certain that the gasket is the problem first. To replace that gasket, the cradle needs to be dropped to get to it. The service center better be the best in town to mess around with that. Secondary problems from the repair would be worse than a drop of oil once in a while.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Beezvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes I agree with the posts above, there is a lot written on this topic; be sure they have the right equipment to support the vehicle. I think they need to use pucks but others can comment, wood blocks provide an opportunity for problems if not placed exactly right.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
luckyj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update

I think this problem is the result of the lack of driving many miles (1,000 miles the past year). I got the oil changed today & nothing of signifance showed underneath. The last couple of days I drove the vette at least 60 miles each time. The next day, no oil was on the floor.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Jim
Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I think this problem is the result of the lack of driving many miles (1,000 miles the past year). I got the oil changed today & nothing of signifance showed underneath. The last couple of days I drove the vette at least 60 miles each time. The next day, no oil was on the floor.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Jim
We put 19,000 miles on our 2009 during the first year, and it had the standard oil leak by then.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Was the problem resolved in newer cars? Sounds like a major fix. I wouldn't want my baby torn up like that, but I also HATE oil leaks to live with one . Can't believe something that stupid is a problem nowadays . Is that a physical gasket, or a robot puts silicon around the pan? Just curious. Thanks gang.

Get notified of new replies

To Slight Oil Leak

Quick Reply: Slight Oil Leak