C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockpick Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jcarl
My wife's 2012 Caddy SRX has nav with a bu camera that works great. So we know that GM has Nav systems that will do what we want. Story is that bu cameras are required in all 2014 cars.
Yes it will be federal law. Right now it's an option that you must order and pay extra for current new cars.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM
jcarl
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The point was not that they are they same Nav system but that they have systems that have bu camera capability but they have chosen not to use them in their most expensive car. Go figure!! My daughter works for GM accessories was was shocked that GM did not have a "plug and Play" bu camera accessory for the Corvette.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

You can use a Magellan GPS Nav unit as a monitor.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM
jcarl
Heel & Toe

There are also stand alone bu camera systems that are quite inexpensive with relatively small screens units. But again back to where do you mount the screen so that it is not obtrusive to the appearance of the inside of your vette. Suggestions as to where to mount a screen?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,327 Likes on 1,667 Posts

There are also stand alone bu camera systems that are quite inexpensive with relatively small screens units. But again back to where do you mount the screen so that it is not obtrusive to the appearance of the inside of your vette. Suggestions as to where to mount a screen?
You have a PM
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,591 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I strongly dissagre with your assessment of those who don't like the OEM system don't know how to use it. I KNOW HOW TO USE IT. And,there are alot of other Corvette owners who know how to program their OEM Nav unit. Forget the different features that the Garmin has OVER the OEM unit. They are TOOOOO many to list. I do agree that no system is perfect. All I am interested in is getting from Point A to Point B. On many trips I have programed the OEM unit using all of what is offered by that unit to get me to Point B the fastest way. Also, changing the routes on the fly to get there faster. THE OEM UNIT IS WORTHLESS when compared to the Garmin I had sitting on the console with a 10 second set up to the location. PERIOD AND, like I said in a previous post I KNOW how to program and use the OEM unit. No need for any further discussion on this matter. The OEM Nav system doesn't compare in ANY way to the Garmin.
I respectfully disagree. I have Nav in both C6's and a Garmin in the Truck. The both have their good points and bad points and they both get me to where I need to go. Occasionally the route from the OEM will be squirrely but more often it is the best, most direct route. And guess what, same happens with the Garmin. I don't think either is more intuitive to use than the other. But this is just my opinion - ymmv.

Now,
<moderator>
Lets put this back on topic, which is the Lockpick back up camera, not the good, bad and ugly of OEM vs aftermarket Navigation systems.

Posts after this that are not related to the OP request will be deleated without comment.</moderator>

Last edited by johnodrake; 12-11-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Having it in the rearview mirror would be great. That's what Ford does if car has no navigation.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM
rjr49
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

GM has had BU cameras for years. Just not in Vettes. Gotta love the logic. A mini van with plenty of windows has a BU camera. But, not Vette's
Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rjr49
GM has had BU cameras for years. Just not in Vettes. Gotta love the logic. A mini van with plenty of windows has a BU camera. But, not Vette's
I notice that too the Corvette doesn't get those kinds of available options like Mazda has with the rear blind spot indicator and it isn't even on their high end model. Same goes for parking sensors.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Captain TJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After installation of the Lockpick 360 does the touch screen still work or is all the screen control have to be done with the hand-held remote control?
Touch screen still works
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM
jcarl
Heel & Toe

When I look at the website for the Lockpick 360 it seems to me that it is not available for any Corvette newer than 2011. Is that the case?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

A year or so ago, somepone posted about installing the rearview mirror from a Camaro with a backup camera. IIRC, it wasn't real simple but not terrible either.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

Pick a GPS with video input for the camera. Before the factory NAV was replaced I used a Magellan 7" 9055 GPS which had a video input for the backup camera. Evey time I put the car in reverse the camera came on.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cyber-vette
Pick a GPS with video input for the camera. Before the factory NAV was replaced I used a Magellan 7" 9055 GPS which had a video input for the backup camera. Evey time I put the car in reverse the camera came on.

I have a Magellan 5 inch Model 5126? I wonder if that will work?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

Garmin, TomTom all have special models that support a backup camera via the video input.

Magellan GPS's which support backup camera.

RoadMate 5255T
RoadMate 5265T
RoadMate 9250T
RoadMate 1700
RoadMate 9055
RoadMate 9165T
RoadMate RV9145
RoadMate RV9165T

Magellan Backup Camera
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cyber-vette
Garmin, TomTom all have special models that support a backup camera via the video input.

Magellan GPS's which support backup camera.

RoadMate 5255T
RoadMate 5265T
RoadMate 9250T
RoadMate 1700
RoadMate 9055
RoadMate 9165T
RoadMate RV9145
RoadMate RV9165T

Magellan Backup Camera
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Another option for a monitor for a back up camera, or front camera, is a stand alone monitor mounted on the driver side sunvisor.
In order to do this:
The vanity mirror assembly was removed, the cover was removed, and cut so the monitor would tightly fit inside the cutout portion of the cover. The monitor is attached to the cover with a small amount of epoxy on the backside of the cover. The epoxy was really not needed, as it is snugly fit to the cover; just extra protection against it falling out.
The top part of the cover was drilled above the cut out opening, a rod inserted from side to side, and the rod snaps into mounting tabs that were epoxied inside the sunvisor where the vanity mirror used to be. The bottom of the cover is secured using velcro. The monitor/cover can be removed and replaced as needed, just in case the monitor fails and has to be replaced.

This is what it looks like:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have the Nav, but I didn't want to buy an after market system that would enable a camera input, nor did I want to buy a lock pick to make the Nav capable of a camera input.

This is what I came up with today, but initially i had the monitor mounted under the dash, capable of unfolding when using, or fold up out of the way when not in use.

Although the flip down/up under dash worked well, I think that the monitor on the sunvisor is a much nicer fit, IMO.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-13-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lockpick Reverse Camera

Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Another option for a monitor for a back up camera, or front camera, is a stand alone monitor mounted on the driver side sunvisor.
In order to do this:
The vanity mirror assembly was removed, the cover was removed, and cut so the monitor would tightly fit inside the cutout portion of the cover. The monitor is attached to the cover with a small amount of epoxy on the backside of the cover. The epoxy was really not needed, as it is snugly fit to the cover; just extra protection against it falling out.
The top part of the cover was drilled above the cut out opening, a rod inserted from side to side, and the rod snaps into mounting tabs that were epoxied inside the sunvisor where the vanity mirror used to be. The bottom of the cover is secured using velcro. The monitor/cover can be removed and replaced as needed, just in case the monitor fails and has to be replaced.

This is what it looks like:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have the Nav, but I didn't want to buy an after market system that would enable a camera input, nor did I want to buy a lock pick to make the Nav capable of a camera input.

This is what I came up with today, but initially i had the monitor mounted under the dash, capable of unfolding when using, or fold up out of the way when not in use.

Although the flip down/up under dash worked well, I think that the monitor on the sunvisor is a much nicer fit, IMO.

How long did it take you to do install?
If not I wonder what cost would be to have a shop/mechanic to do this?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
rjr49
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the visor gives you better field of view than the OEM / After market installation. By that I mean a linear visual sweep takes in the rear view mirror, rear view camera, and the front window. Probably hard to keep everything in focus but at least you are not looking down.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
How long did it take you to do install?
If not I wonder what cost would be to have a shop/mechanic to do this?

Probably 4 hours from start to finish.
It's not difficult to do, but you need a liitle bit of ingenuity, and the right tools to do the job.
This was the process:
1) I had to remove the sunvisor from the car.
2) I had to remove the vanity mirror from the sunvisor
3) I took the cover off the vanity mirror, measured and modified (cut) an opening in the cover, which the monitor would fit perfectly snug.
4) Drilled a hole on the top part of the cover (above the monitor) on each side, and placed a rod through the drilled holes, across the back of the cover, and epoxed each end on the inside.
5) Once the opening was perfect, the monitor was fit into the opening, and epoxied in a few places around the monitor on the backside of the cover.
6) In order to attach the cover to the sunvisor, mounting tabs were epoxed into the sunvisor on the top area where the vanity mirror used to be.
The rod then snaps into the mounting tabs to secure the top part of the cover/monitor to the sunvisor.
7) The bottom part of the cover was secured to the sunvisor with industrial velcro.
8) The power cable and video cables were run inside the sunvisor, and out to where the sunvisor attaches to the top windshield molding
9) The power and cable feeds from the camera to the monitor are run up inside the driver windshield pillar.
10) All the wiring /lights and switch (taped off) for the vanity mirror were left and tucked into the sunvisor opening. The wiring was still needed for the homelink/garage door opener buttons.

Patience and alot of thought went into measuring, cutting etc, so it would look OEM when finished. It turned out pretty nice.
The thing I like about this mod is that the cover/monitor can be removed from the visor without damaging anything, just in case the monitor has to be replaced down the road.
1) I had to remove the sunvisor from the car.
2) I had to remove the vanity mirror from the sunvisor
3) I took the cover off the vanity mirror, measured and modified (cut) an opening in the cover, which the monitor would fit perfectly snug.
4) Drilled a hole on the top part of the cover (above the monitor) on each side, and placed a metal rod through the drilled holes, across the back of the cover, and epoxed each end on the inside.
5) Once the opening was perfect, the monitor was fit into the opening, and epoxied in a few places around the monitor on the backside of the cover.
6) In order to attach the cover to the sunvisor, mounting tabs were epoxed into the sunvisor on the top area where the vanity mirror used to be.
The rod then snaps into the mounting tabs to secure the top part of the cover/monitor to the sunvisor.
7) The bottom part of the cover was secured to the sunvisor with industrial velcro.
8) The power cable and video cables were run inside the sunvisor, and out to where the sunvisor attaches to the top windshield molding
9) The power and cable feeds from the camera to the monitor are run up inside the driver windshield pillar.
10) All the wiring /lights and switch (taped off) for the vanity mirror were left and tucked into the sunvisor opening. The wiring was still needed for the homelink/garage door opener buttons.

Patience and alot of thought went into measuring, cutting etc, so it would look OEM when finished. It turned out pretty nice.
The thing I like about this mod is that the cover/monitor can be removed from the visor without damaging anything, just in case the monitor has to be replaced down the road.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Lockpick Reverse Camera