C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunnel / Interior heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
offthehook1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new owner two years ago I was surprised by the heat myself. Cooked a cell phone. I did the Elite fix and was very satisfied. I think it did cut the heat a good percentage. I do keep my phone in the console and have had now problems since.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
offthehook1
Advanced

As a new owner two years ago I was surprised by the heat myself. Cooked a cell phone. I did the Elite fix and was very satisfied. I think it did cut the heat a good percentage. I do keep my phone in the console and have had no problems since.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a CF vendor sells a piece of insulation that fits the center console floor. Has anybody tried it, and does it seem to help much?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:54 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by cheetah07
The Elite Engineering solution seems marginal,
Why do you say this? I installed just the EE thermal pad on the stock C6 tunnel plate and felt a notable decrease in temps (this link shows EE's testing, and a 31F drop with my configuration: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/T...emp_Tests.html). And the temps in interior console or tunnel-side are cooler.

I did not expect the Corvette to have such a basic issue being ignored by the factory.
Sounds like you have already made up your mind that it is a deliberate design choice to allow the car to be unbearably hot. Sorry, but that is silly.

What makes you think GM "ignored" this issue in the design? In view of the fact that they installed a heat-deflecting plate between the exhaust system and the tunnel (thereby blocking direct infrared heating and providing an insulating air gap), as well as provided additional insulation inside and outside the tunnel makes your statement sound at best unthoughtful.

(As an aside, I have to ask: What exactly were you expecting? Where did you think the exhaust pipes and cat converters were located? Did you not test drive the vehicle before you bought it? This certainly isn't a SoCal-only issue; too many SoCal owners who aren't bitching, and too many hotter places than SoCal in the world.)

The fact is, GM did a pretty good -- not perfect, but pretty good -- job of addressing the heat that comes off a 400HP engine, at least to the extent they were unsuccessful in getting the laws of physics repealed. Just the use of a more substantial tunnel plate made the C6 tunnel cooler than the one in my C5. Would I like it cooler? Sure. Is it *totally* managable? Absolutely. Did GM "ignore" the tunnel heat issue? That's just a silly statement.

Ok, now that the venting is done, take a look at the Elite Engineering bits -- they're more effective than you give them credit for. If you're still not satisfied, an under-carpet insulation kit is the next, more labor-intensive, step. Recognize, however, that the tunnel will never not be at least a bit warm -- there's just too much heat from the adjacent exhaust to ever have a totally "cool" tunnel. If that's not acceptable to you, you'll never be happy with the car and probably should be looking at other options.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When I drove my 05 home 300 miles, I thought the heat on my right leg was significant enough to be uncomfortable after about 100 miles. When I drove my 07 Z06 home 800 miles, it never got uncomfortable just warm. I don't know if there is a difference between the 2 cars, or I just expected it this time. I would like to cool the console down enough to keep my iphone in there though. That's where I routed the cable that goes to my Pioneer nav. After 30 minutes in there the iphone goes into heat protection mode.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

A 65' Shelby 427 Cobra,would melt the rubber on your sneaker soles inside the footwell,now that's heat.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a 07 also,but I don't really feel much heat coming up. I went on a 1500mi road trip with my wife. I'm sure she would have complained if there was heat coming through.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 PM
MB2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corvettemods.com has a laser cut custom fit piece for the console box. I bought one and it works but my right leg gets hot on a long ride. I bought a cheap windshield sun reflector at WalMart and cut a piece to fit between the console and the seat where it gets hot. It works.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by DT455
A 65' Shelby 427 Cobra,would melt the rubber on your sneaker soles inside the footwell,now that's heat.
Ah yes, the good old days.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently bought an '07 C6 having no idea that the heat transfer from the exhaust to the interior would be so severe. I have researched past threads on what other owners have done without reaching a satisfactory conclusion. The Elite Engineering solution seems marginal, the Exotic Vette interior insulation good but also not complete, the do it yourself sheets of heat reflective material good as well but I am having to pay to have someone take care of the problem. A fairly large investment with questionable results. A

Is there any new information from anyone who has addressed this problem? I'm familiar with how GM does things having owned a '90 Pontiac GTA for 20 years but I did not expect the Corvette to have such a basic issue being ignored by the factory.

Thanks,
cheetah07
On my 06, I wrapped the exh. mid section in the tunnel area with 2" header & exh wrap , [ jegs # 555-32067 ] Additionally you can add shields [ jegs # 893-11630 ] . This reduced the console temp to a tolerable level.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Dabby
Advanced

Default (Soon to be) Vette Owner - Maybe

Brand new to the forum. I've been reading posts and researching before I make my purchase. So, now I have a question. Hopefully someone is still watching this thread.

I am finally in a position to get a car for ME - kids are grown, etc. I was really wanting a Corvette, but after reading some of the comments and driving one for a little while, I'm not sure.

This would be my daily driver since I do not have the option to have a different vehicle for that purpose. After driving a 2007 for a few days, the exhaust noise is definitely annoying after awhile. The wind and road noise don't bother me that much. I have read about the noise dampening kits, so I believe that can be reduced to a tolerable level.

What I am more concerned about is the comments here about the heat. I live in North Central Texas (DFW area) and last summer we were hitting 115. I know any car will get hot when left out in the sun. Been dealing with that forever. I did not realize, though, that the center console would get as hot as people say by just driving. Right now it is in the 50's, so I haven't noticed any added heat. But does it really get so hot that it will melt things in the console?

I am also looking at a black 2008 with a glass top. Now you guys have me scared and thinking I should go with something else. I love the Corvette, always wanted one, but before I buy what will most probably be my last car, is it still a good idea?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Gecko2345
Racer

Dabby,

Don't let these guys scare you away from a great car. Mine is a black 2008 with a transparent top (San Antonio area), and although the console gets pretty warm, and I wouldn't put any chocolate in it, the heat can be mitigated. I plan on putting an new shifter in soon, and while I have the console out, I might as well put the insulation kit in. My wife says she doesn't notice any heat, except when she gets something out of the console, after a long drive. I've never had my phone or credit cards in the console, but I don't think mine has gotten hot enough to damage either. We took a trip to FL in June, and the console was the only place we noticed any heat. Get the car, and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gecko2345
Dabby,

Don't let these guys scare you away from a great car. Mine is a black 2008 with a transparent top (San Antonio area), and although the console gets pretty warm, and I wouldn't put any chocolate in it, the heat can be mitigated. I plan on putting an new shifter in soon, and while I have the console out, I might as well put the insulation kit in. My wife says she doesn't notice any heat, except when she gets something out of the console, after a long drive. I've never had my phone or credit cards in the console, but I don't think mine has gotten hot enough to damage either. We took a trip to FL in June, and the console was the only place we noticed any heat. Get the car, and enjoy the ride.

It gets hot inside the console, and the cup holder gets warm. As mentioned, no chocolate inside the console unless you want s'mores. But we've driven 140,000 miles in 3 Corvettes and never had any real problem. Including trips to Florida and the SW deserts.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

I've had two C6's. The first an 05 very early production and the 08. I drive them back and forth from Dallas to Florida and have never been bothered by the heat.

Well, there was that state trooper in Mississippi but that's another "heat" story.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabby
Brand new to the forum. I've been reading posts and researching before I make my purchase. So, now I have a question. Hopefully someone is still watching this thread.

I am finally in a position to get a car for ME - kids are grown, etc. I was really wanting a Corvette, but after reading some of the comments and driving one for a little while, I'm not sure.

This would be my daily driver since I do not have the option to have a different vehicle for that purpose. After driving a 2007 for a few days, the exhaust noise is definitely annoying after awhile. The wind and road noise don't bother me that much. I have read about the noise dampening kits, so I believe that can be reduced to a tolerable level.

What I am more concerned about is the comments here about the heat. I live in North Central Texas (DFW area) and last summer we were hitting 115. I know any car will get hot when left out in the sun. Been dealing with that forever. I did not realize, though, that the center console would get as hot as people say by just driving. Right now it is in the 50's, so I haven't noticed any added heat. But does it really get so hot that it will melt things in the console?

I am also looking at a black 2008 with a glass top. Now you guys have me scared and thinking I should go with something else. I love the Corvette, always wanted one, but before I buy what will most probably be my last car, is it still a good idea?

Did the 2007 you drove have a stock exhaust?

I bought my 2009 Corvette last month; my first Corvette. In my hunt for a used Corvette, the first Vette I test drove had a Corsa exhaust system. I didn't mind it at first on the side streets, but the drone on the highway after just two minutes drove me nuts. I couldn't wait to get back to the dealership and out of that car. My 2009 is pretty quiet; probably too quiet but I can cruise the highway enjoying the stereo, talking to people with no problem. It snows here but I wish this could be a year-round daily driver.

I have read this thread and similar ones for a while but I've never noticed heat build up in my car. I haven't driven it for hours yet or in the summer. I have put my hand in the console compartment after driving and never noticed any heat. Since I bought it used I do not know if the prior owner added insulation; the car was from Florida and the windows were tinted.

Don't let the experience of the 2007 turn you off; drive some other Vettes.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM
offthehook1
Advanced

My 09 C6 has the stock exhaust system that opens at 3000 rpm forgot what it is called. I also have the Mild to Wild switch.. Agree that running on highway with exhaust open can get to you after a while so I just shut it down, but love the sound around town.

Elite tunnel plate with ABS a quick and easy fix for heat in console and also stiffened up car so that it squeaks a lot less. Heat thing was minor to me. Easy to put up with if you love your Corvette.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 AM
COL-INF
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Have the console insert in my 05 C6. Made a difference in terms of cell phone, etc. Still feel warmth from the tunnel but that is a good thing here in the Northeast.

Get notified of new replies

To Tunnel / Interior heat

Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living in south Florida it gets pretty warm in the summer & I have never noticed any uncomftable heat in my 11 GS. I did install a console insulation piece from Top Flight Reproductions (great company & product) to be safe and there is no noticable heat in my console to speak of (left gum in console with no ill effects). Check it out quality product, fantastic fit, esy to install (10 seconds), & good results.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Dabby
Advanced

Ok, drove another Vette. The 07 had an aftermarket exhaust. Having never driven one before, I didn't know what they were supposed to sound like. This one, a 2008, is much quieter. Just normal wind and road noise - no annoying exhaust rumble. Like DonOH said, the 07 sounded nice when you started it up and was tolerable around town, but gave me a headache on the highway.

I ended up buying the 08. It's black with a glass roof. I drove it for over an hour and the center console just got a little warm. It's in the 40's now. Don't know what it's going to be like when it's a 115, but I guess I'll find out.

Thanks you guys for all your input. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I get more time behind the wheel.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

I have a black 11 coupe, live in Florida, I have not noticed any heat from the console or cup holders.. And I do at times put my cell in the console at times with no problems..

I'm wondering if it is something GM has addressed on newer Vettes.

so of those with the heat issue, what year are they?

Quick Reply: Tunnel / Interior heat